lost, confused, frustrated... galaxy S (i9000) no recovery mode.. lagfix?

Search This thread
After spending an hour searching the net I found what clearly is the best forum site to be with (in regards to my phone and what I want from it). I then spent another hour reading page after page to the point now where I'm in a worse place than where I started...

I have a new samsung galaxy S (i9000) 8Gb (can't get the 16gb here in NZ except private sales which I'm not feeling up to risking). Below are a few issues I am having.

Just bought a 16Gb micro SD card and can't for the life of me work out what is up with this crazy as file navigation. I tried the default "my files" which I already guessed would be crap, so I got "ES File explorer" which is much better BUT... I have the "home view" which is the phone memory where I can't see how much out of how much space I have, then I have my 6gb internal SD where I can view usedGB/TotalGB but where is my 16Gb microSD???? Am I using a crappy file manager? is there a better one? I would like to use this for movies/music etc. The camera has an option for memory card (for where to save pics) is this internal or external?

"rooting" is made rather difficult considering there is no recovery mode (yes I tried the up volume+power+home and the both volume+power+home and about half a dozen different variations of these keys) but I did manage a work-around however the purpose was for the speedup/lagfix which seems there a a lot out there and lots of people recommending different ones without any download links or web links so I couldn't find where to get them from except one that (you guessed it) requires recovery mode. So I have no idea where to go for this now.

So yeaaaa... at this stage these are the only questions/issue but I'm sure more will arise as the days go by. Looking forward to hearing from anyone with suggestions (not just the experts with the answers.... altho very very welcome :p)

BIG THANKYOU to everyone reading this even if you cant help, but are just looking to see if you can and an even BIGGER THANKYOU to people how keep checking back on the progress as I doubt this will be a 1 post fix (but fingers crossed).

Last edited:

kirkhammet

Dec 30, 2010
Your SD card should be shown as a folder "external_sd" in default "My files":D.
When you set camera option for memory card it should save pics in your external mem card(but I'm not sure, I don't have any card:eek:)
(yes I tried the up volume+power+home and the both volume+power+home and about half a dozen different variations of these keys)
You should turn off phone completly then try volume up + home + power (specify in this order) and hold it for about 6 seconds until phone go in recovery mode. To get phone in download mode you do the same but press volume down instead of vol up:)
Frankly I don't know what lagfix you want to install but I recommend this Speed Mod Froyo(I assume you have already froyo installed). Here you've got link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822756 Everything should be explained in this thread.

Edit:
Maybe you find something useful for you there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=723596

Last edited:
Reactions: gaskell
Thanks so much, guess there is a bit of learning involved here.
The recovery mode I had tried I always turned the phone off and waited for the lights etc to die out before turning back on (the phone vibrates after about 15-20secs to let you know its completely off) with the above button combination. I tried holding and releasing as soon as the samsung logo appeared and alo tried holding until the welcome screen appeared. I also read somewhere to try all 3 and releasing the power button (while still holding other 2) when the samsung logo appears. Nothing worked.
The first lagfix I found was MCR scripts but cant find a download for it, and the last one I decided to try was voodoo which requires the recovery mode.
Not 100% sure I follow the first link but the 2nd one might be able to give me the recovery mode... big risk but the post looks good.

*EDIT*
after spending ages and ages reading and re-reading, checking other pages and cross referencing details I did the recovery fix and now have recovery mode. Then did the speed mod altho i dont think that is working. nothing changed at all. I did exactly what it said and it all worked and no errors but nothing has changed and I dont quite get what its supposed to do. From what I get from it there should be new options in the recovery for changing the speed value (in Hz) up or down but its not there. Maybe its not compatible or something. At least now I can try the voodoo fix now.

*EDIT 2*
(better to edit than keep adding posts)
More wrestling and I've managed to get the speed mod working altho the latest voodoo lagfix doesn't work. Now I'm thinking of getting a 16Gb model from America and selling my 8Gb (New Zealand model) to one of my kids who is now very keen on getting one.

Last edited:

kirkhammet

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn't give up so fast ;)
Ok, so lets start from beginning. If you don't want to experiment with custom firmwares you should try this. It set my galaxy on his feet:D

Read all before doing anything, becouse it may brick your phone(we don't want it:p)however chances are veeery low.
Still having questions? Ask now, becouse later it may be too late.

Do backup then un-lagfix your phone(usually to do this go in recovery mode and select un-lagfix option) and disable all tweaks. It is important to do this to correctly flash phone.
Download Odin (for eg. from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=832827) then install one of these 2.2.1 androids depending on your location http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=846913
Procedure:
1.Open ODIN. (And close Kies, if you have it open. It is important to have ODIN open BEFORE connection the phone via USB!)
2.Select the PDA/Modem/CSC/.PIT files in Odin. (For kernel flashes, only PDA is required. For FW flashes, .PIT and at least a PDA is required. Some PDAs have Modem and CSC integrated. Make sure you have the correct .PIT file. Usually 512.pit)
3.Check the "Re-Partition" checkbox.
4.Turn the phone into the download mode by pressing and holding VolumeDown+Home+Power.
5.Connect your phone with your computer and wait until the drivers are installed.
6.When the drivers are installed, click Start.
7.The phone will be flashed and once it’s finished, it will boot up. (Do NOT disconnect the usb-cable, remove the battery or otherwise interrupt this process!)
8.You have successfully flashed your phone.
(whole method is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7152078#post7152078)
Doing this you will get clean android on galaxy.
Check your phone to make shure if the instalation went properly.

Next step is to install speedmod(I describe how to do this using hardcore speedmod but you can try any speedmod)
Download speedmod-kernel-k12s-500hz.zip from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822756
Install it with Odin (procedure is pretty the same as flashing android BUT don't check repartition checkbox! For kernel flashes, only PDA is required.)
http://touristinparadise.blogspot.com/2010/11/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to-install.html

Now you've got speedmod installed. To turn it on run phone in recovery mode(as blurry I remember phone should ask you which recovery you want to use, choose CWM recovery) and select advanced SpeedMod features(vol up and down to navigate and home to accept), then go into LAGFIX options and choose Faster: Ext4 All. In Advanced Lagfix Menu you should have this settings:
DATA_FS and CACHE_FS and DBDATA_FS to ext4, rest: DATA_LOOP, CACHE_LOOP, DBDATA_LOOP and BIND_DATA_TO_DBDATA set to false option.
You can also enable tweak options if you like.
Reboot your phone and enjoy!:cool:
I did this procedure on my phone and now it's flying:D
I hope I helped;)

what is step 3 for?
"3.Check the "Re-Partition" checkbox."
what exactly does this do as I did manage to get speedmod on there but I did not have that checked. Should I re-do it with that checked?
I dont know if its cause I'm learning more or what but that post is so easy to read and understand compared to so many others that I have read.
The menu options are set by default to what you said. So using this theres no point to a lagfix? I thought they were different.
I bought an Australian 16Gb last night and waiting for courier so now I'll have that one to play with :p My 19yr old will have my 8Gb NZ model so I dont mind if everything gets wiped now.

So apart from the re-partition option (dunno if thats required or not) are there any other suggestions for this.
Currently I have:
Got a recovery mode installed (3e)
Got speedmod installed (without re-partition checked)

kirkhammet

Dec 30, 2010
As far as I know it makes format of system partition(delete it) and set it again, so you can install new android on clean internal card instead override old files.
as I did manage to get speedmod on there but I did not have that checked. Should I re-do it with that checked?
No, you shouldn't, because speedmod is only modified kernel, it won't work standalone.
Actually you did it right installing speedmod without this option.
I wrote this in my previous post: "Install it with Odin (procedure is pretty the same as flashing android BUT don't check repartition checkbox! For kernel flashes, only PDA is required.)"
The menu options are set by default to what you said.
As far as I understand you have only installed lagfix, not working. You have to check if options in recovery menu are enabled(or disabled) Try this first, maybe it helps.
Currently I have:
In android 2.2 and 2.2.1 this is default recovery mode. In it you can't install unsigned (non-certified by samsung) update.zip files.
Like I said, you did it right:p. If you would checked re-partition you would bricked phone.
Hardcore speedmod already have inside ClockWorkMod recovery menu a.k.a. CWM(it olny switch from 3e menu to CWM menu, so if you want you can return to stock recovery menu). Using it you can easily turn on or of: lagfix, different tweaks, back light notification and very simply root or unroot you phone(just one click in menu).Everything is signed in CWM. That's reasons why I stubbornly advise you to install Hardcore speedmod:D. I have this options in one place and it's very convinient.

To sum up, try turn on you lagfix, maybe it's all you need:p. If that doesn't work reflash your phone using my previous post and watch when you set re-partition option and everything will be allright. If sometning will go wrong try to reply steps, eventually you can unbrick phone pluging resistor in usb:D
(I think you won't need this;))
I dont know if its cause I'm learning more or what but that post is so easy to read and understand compared to so many others that I have read.
Thank you :eek:
P.S Sorry if you couldn't understand something, I'm still learning english.

In android 2.2 and 2.2.1 this is default recovery mode. In it you can't install unsigned (non-certified by samsung) update.zip files.

Actually in NZ the factory version does have a recovery mode at all. It was removed in some versions of the galaxy S. I added it, which is why I listed it.

As far as I understand you have only installed lagfix, not working. You have to check if options in recovery menu are enabled(or disabled) Try this first, maybe it helps.
I never got a lagfix to install. I listed what I currently have installed and working i.e. recovery mode and speedmod (both added)

The settings you advised I did check in the recovery mode (speedmod one) which is how I found that they are default.

You are still learning english? To be honest I couldn't tell its not your first language. Your post was easy to read, easy to understand and could not find any fault with it.

I did notice that these changes have greatly improved the games that were lagging badly.

Yes, thank you so much, I think I'll skip the "lagfix" programs you can get as with speedmod I dont think they are needed now.
So in a summary I'm all sorted and very happy.
Now I just have to try not to spend all my $ on buying games and apps :p
Now I can come back in a few days and re-read this page to do the same again to my 16Gb galaxy S when it arrives.
YOU ROCK! (and with a name like that, how could you not)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your SD card should be shown as a folder "external_sd" in default "My files":D.
    When you set camera option for memory card it should save pics in your external mem card(but I'm not sure, I don't have any card:eek:)
    (yes I tried the up volume+power+home and the both volume+power+home and about half a dozen different variations of these keys)
    You should turn off phone completly then try volume up + home + power (specify in this order) and hold it for about 6 seconds until phone go in recovery mode. To get phone in download mode you do the same but press volume down instead of vol up:)
    Frankly I don't know what lagfix you want to install but I recommend this Speed Mod Froyo(I assume you have already froyo installed). Here you've got link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822756 Everything should be explained in this thread.

Edit:
    Maybe you find something useful for you there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=723596
    I wouldn't give up so fast ;)
    Ok, so lets start from beginning. If you don't want to experiment with custom firmwares you should try this. It set my galaxy on his feet:D

Read all before doing anything, becouse it may brick your phone(we don't want it:p)however chances are veeery low.
    Still having questions? Ask now, becouse later it may be too late.

Do backup then un-lagfix your phone(usually to do this go in recovery mode and select un-lagfix option) and disable all tweaks. It is important to do this to correctly flash phone.
    Download Odin (for eg. from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=832827) then install one of these 2.2.1 androids depending on your location http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=846913
    Procedure:
    1.Open ODIN. (And close Kies, if you have it open. It is important to have ODIN open BEFORE connection the phone via USB!)
    2.Select the PDA/Modem/CSC/.PIT files in Odin. (For kernel flashes, only PDA is required. For FW flashes, .PIT and at least a PDA is required. Some PDAs have Modem and CSC integrated. Make sure you have the correct .PIT file. Usually 512.pit)
    3.Check the "Re-Partition" checkbox.
    4.Turn the phone into the download mode by pressing and holding VolumeDown+Home+Power.
    5.Connect your phone with your computer and wait until the drivers are installed.
    6.When the drivers are installed, click Start.
    7.The phone will be flashed and once it’s finished, it will boot up. (Do NOT disconnect the usb-cable, remove the battery or otherwise interrupt this process!)
    8.You have successfully flashed your phone.
    (whole method is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7152078#post7152078)
    Doing this you will get clean android on galaxy.
    Check your phone to make shure if the instalation went properly.

Next step is to install speedmod(I describe how to do this using hardcore speedmod but you can try any speedmod)
    Download speedmod-kernel-k12s-500hz.zip from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822756
    Install it with Odin (procedure is pretty the same as flashing android BUT don't check repartition checkbox! For kernel flashes, only PDA is required.)
    http://touristinparadise.blogspot.com/2010/11/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to-install.html

Now you've got speedmod installed. To turn it on run phone in recovery mode(as blurry I remember phone should ask you which recovery you want to use, choose CWM recovery) and select advanced SpeedMod features(vol up and down to navigate and home to accept), then go into LAGFIX options and choose Faster: Ext4 All. In Advanced Lagfix Menu you should have this settings:
    DATA_FS and CACHE_FS and DBDATA_FS to ext4, rest: DATA_LOOP, CACHE_LOOP, DBDATA_LOOP and BIND_DATA_TO_DBDATA set to false option.
    You can also enable tweak options if you like.
    Reboot your phone and enjoy!:cool:
    I did this procedure on my phone and now it's flying:D
    I hope I helped;)
    As far as I know it makes format of system partition(delete it) and set it again, so you can install new android on clean internal card instead override old files.
    as I did manage to get speedmod on there but I did not have that checked. Should I re-do it with that checked?
    No, you shouldn't, because speedmod is only modified kernel, it won't work standalone.
    Actually you did it right installing speedmod without this option.
    I wrote this in my previous post: "Install it with Odin (procedure is pretty the same as flashing android BUT don't check repartition checkbox! For kernel flashes, only PDA is required.)"
    The menu options are set by default to what you said.
    Currently I have:
    Like I said, you did it right:p. If you would checked re-partition you would bricked phone.
    Hardcore speedmod already have inside ClockWorkMod recovery menu a.k.a. CWM(it olny switch from 3e menu to CWM menu, so if you want you can return to stock recovery menu). Using it you can easily turn on or of: lagfix, different tweaks, back light notification and very simply root or unroot you phone(just one click in menu).Everything is signed in CWM. That's reasons why I stubbornly advise you to install Hardcore speedmod:D. I have this options in one place and it's very convinient.

To sum up, try turn on you lagfix, maybe it's all you need:p. If that doesn't work reflash your phone using my previous post and watch when you set re-partition option and everything will be allright. If sometning will go wrong try to reply steps, eventually you can unbrick phone pluging resistor in usb:D
    (I think you won't need this;))
    Thank you :eek: