hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
Last edited:

HackitZ

Jul 19, 2009
North of the Border
www.hackitz.ca
Yeah dev section is slow, i'm considering cooking up a rom. i already have my base. and some mods done, modding xml on android 4.3 is a pain. so until i can edit the colors in the xml's i'm not going to share.

you like wind?

hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah dev section is slow, i'm considering cooking up a rom. i already have my base. and some mods done, modding xml on android 4.3 is a pain. so until i can edit the colors in the xml's i'm not going to share.

you like wind?

I don't travel much out of the city so for my use, it is perfect. I love the plans and for what they cost, I save a ton per month. There are some places that the signal isn't the best and compared to the bigger guys, you are not getting signal in the deep woods or country but I'd rather have infinite data, talk, and data for less.

I used to be on Bell and I loved the signal strength but for $65/month with 500mb of data and "unlimited text" (which for me was just 2500 texts incoming and outgoing), I got fed up. Wind is great for what I need and I would never go back to the "big three" ever.

Sent from my Z1 Compact

necr0manser

May 11, 2014
Edmonton
I am and it is working beautifully :) You need to setup the APNs manually but other than that, just threw in the SIM card and it started working.

Sent from my Z1 Compact
I'm thinking now about buying this phone from ebay, but the seller doesn't specify the aws frequencies. I need to know does it have aws 1700/2100 (wind) frequencyexaclty. Could you please confirm it.
Sorry for ressurecting this dead thread

hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
I'm thinking now about buying this phone from ebay, but the seller doesn't specify the aws frequencies. I need to know does it have aws 1700/2100 (wind) frequencyexaclty. Could you please confirm it.
Sorry for ressurecting this dead thread

gypenu9e.jpg

Works on Wind 100%. Screenshot above just for some further proof :)

Could you post the eBay link you using? Could double check it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

necr0manser

May 11, 2014
Edmonton

I can't put a link because I'm new. Delete the space inside it - ebay.ca/itm/Sony-XPERIA-Z1-Compact- [HERE] D5503-Black-QuadCore-2GBRAM-20-7MP-Android-Phone-By-FedEx-/331132834464?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4d190e12a0
I would appreciate if you could double check it, thanks. Quite strange that such a great phone with powerful processor and a lot of ram doesn't sell in Canada (at least in Edmonton). Looks like its the same model you are using.
BTW, what do you think about the upcoming update of this phone; will it be worth $700? I don't think the price for z1 would be lower than on this link when it's released.
P.S. And what are those APN's and how to setup them?

Last edited:

hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
I can't put a link because I'm new. Delete the space inside it - ebay.ca/itm/Sony-XPERIA-Z1-Compact- [HERE] D5503-Black-QuadCore-2GBRAM-20-7MP-Android-Phone-By-FedEx-/331132834464?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4d190e12a0
I would appreciate if you could double check it, thanks. Quite strange that such a great phone with powerful processor and a lot of ram doesn't sell in Canada (at least in Edmonton). Looks like its the same model you are using.
BTW, what do you think about the upcoming update of this phone; will it be worth $700? I don't think the price for z1 would be lower than on this link when it's released.
P.S. And what are those APN's and how to setup them?

Looks to be the same. You can wait if you'd like but honestly, you probably won't see a big difference. We have reached a plateau in speed right now and you can't go wrong with this phone. It is the best phone I've owned. I used my girlfriends LG G2 for a bit when I was waiting for the Z1c and I like it but the Z1c is better IMO.

For the Wind APNs, you can go here for the info:

necr0manser

May 11, 2014
Edmonton
Looks to be the same. You can wait if you'd like but honestly, you probably won't see a big difference. We have reached a plateau in speed right now and you can't go wrong with this phone. It is the best phone I've owned. I used my girlfriends LG G2 for a bit when I was waiting for the Z1c and I like it but the Z1c is better IMO.

For the Wind APNs, you can go here for the info:

Thank you for your advice, I don't know what you didn't like about the G2, but I would definitely not like its size. I was deciding between LG G3 mini, s5 mini or HTC m8 mini (none is out yet), but comparing their older brothers to Z1c, I think they will become outdated even before they are officially out. What about the Z2c, you are probably right. I compared the official release dates of Z1, Z1c and Z2, their specs and what Sony's traditions are and now suggest that on June 29 they will be close to a release of Z2c with Snapdragon 801-ac, 3 Gb of ram and that's it about major updates. I don't think that it's worth the extra $200. I would love if their electronic noise cancelling is something we can later get onto the Z1c, because I think that the 800 processor for sure can handle this feature, and many others.
One last question. Can i see this phone somewhere in Edmonton? Or the only way to buy it is online?

Last edited:

hol17

Sep 16, 2009
Edmonton
Thank you for your advice, I don't know what you didn't like about the G2, but I would definitely not like its size. I was deciding between LG G3 mini, s5 mini or HTC m8 mini (none is out yet), but comparing their older brothers to Z1c, I think they will become outdated even before they are officially out. What about the Z2c, you are probably right. I compared the official release dates of Z1, Z1c and Z2, their specs and what Sony's traditions are and now suggest that on June 29 they will be close to a release of Z2c with Snapdragon 801-ac, 3 Gb of ram and that's it about major updates. I don't think that it's worth the extra $200. I would love if their electronic noise cancelling is something we can later get onto the Z1c, because I think that the 800 processor for sure can handle this feature, and many others.
One last question. Can i see this phone somewhere in Edmonton? Or the only way to buy it is online?

Was just the size and UI on the G2. I found that the Z1c out of the box felt faster and smoother.

For seeing this phone, I don't know of anyone else that actually has it in stock. I haven't seen any retailers around when I was looking for it myself.

necr0manser

May 11, 2014
Edmonton
Was just the size and UI on the G2. I found that the Z1c out of the box felt faster and smoother.

For seeing this phone, I don't know of anyone else that actually has it in stock. I haven't seen any retailers around when I was looking for it myself.

Today i was at a couple of main stores and they said that unfortunately Z1c is not mainstream enough to sell it.
Thanks for your help, I'm ordering it tomorrow.

vanillacoke1

Aug 19, 2012
gypenu9e.jpg

Works on Wind 100%. Screenshot above just for some further proof :)

I can also confirm that the Z1 compact works with Wind. Just needed to manually set up the APN to get data. Wind customer service walked me through it.

And to get the mms/internet working properly I followed this guy's instructions.

"I am now able to access the internet and send mms without any problems- here is the setting i used for my sony z - let me know if it works for you"

Sony z

internet
Name: WIND CA
APN: internet.windmobile.ca
MCC: 302
MNC: 490
APN type: default,supl (it is important you change your apn type here)

mms
Name: WIND CA mms
APN: mms.windmobile.ca
MMSC: http:-//mms.windmobile.-ca (with out the hyphen, website wont let me post url's)
MMS proxy: 74.115.197.70
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 302
MNC: 490
APN type: mms

Note: assuming you followed the settings on the wind website for androids - all you have to do is go into your internet setting and change the apn type to: default,supl

Last edited:

space_eyes

Nov 2, 2010
Edmonton
I've been using mine on Rogers, appears to work with Telus and Bell 3g/LTE as they appear from carrier select.
Please all remember you have to enter APN settings manually sometimes.

Rogers Lte APN is:
APN:
ltemobile.apn

Mmsc: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com

Mms proxy: 10.128.1.69
Mms port: 80

APN Protocol: IPV4/IPV6 or just IPV4 if dual not available.

*there has been a delay of receiving mms type messages I've noticed, perhaps could be tweaked.

My compact did come from eBay stateside, looks looked may have originated elsewhere, Taiwan stickers I think. Model D5503 however.