Battery life is terrible after updating to 4.4.2

Search This thread

black_eagle5000

Oct 29, 2010
Hi everyone. I have a Note 3 SM-N900 which has been updated to Android Kitkat 4.4.2 (N900XXUDNA6_N900OLBDNA2) from Android 4.3 (N900XXUCMK2_N900OLBCMJ3) recently.

After update, I see my battery life is very bad. Before update, my Note 3 can last more than 1 days. Now after update, my Note 3 can last only 12 hours (not more). I use Battery Monitor Widget and see that, my batter capacity has been tripped from 3200 mAh to 2100mAh. I have tried reset to factory but nothing change. Plz help me.

hfwqnNT.png

Last edited:

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
Hi everyone. I have a Note 3 SM-N900 which has been updated to Android Kitkat 4.4.2 (N900XXUDNA6_N900OLBDNA2) from Android 4.3 (N900XXUCMK2_N900OLBCMJ3) recently.

After update, I see my battery life is very bad. Before update, my Note 3 can last more than 1 days. Now after update, my Note 3 can last only 12 hours (not more). I use Battery Monitor Widget and see that, my batter capacity has been tripped from 3200 mAh to 2100mAh. I have tried reset to factory but nothing change. Plz help me.

hfwqnNT.png

hi ,
two points ( it might help )
first in battery monitor did you manually tried to change it to 3200 mah ( see screenshot )
and i would suggest to id whats draining your battery
install "Wakelock detector" app it does work on kitkat 4.4.2 , with help of a " adb small hack "( very easy to do ,and no root needed )
( see link and post #338 by the developer.... ahikmat , for small tutorial to get Wakelock working on kitkat )
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179651&page=34
At least you could see what is causing wakelocks and draining battery ??
i have n9005 note 3 lte and running kitkat 4.4.2 stock
No root ,Poland vers Xeo .( for nearly2/ 3 weeks now ? )
battery is very similar to 4.3 which was very good !

Last edited:

black_eagle5000

Oct 29, 2010
Thanks you, I ll try Wakelock.
About Battery Monitor Widget, if I set capacity to 3200mAh, then it just ll overide the true value, show a fake capacity. Do I need to run calibration in Battery Monitor Widget (It seems kinda hard to understand, require power cycle at least 40%, sth like that), will it help?
I dont wanna root. If there is a way to go back 4.3 rom, I woulde like to do it.

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks you, I ll try Wakelock.
About Battery Monitor Widget, if I set capacity to 3200mAh, then it just ll overide the true value, show a fake capacity. Do I need to run calibration in Battery Monitor Widget (It seems kinda hard to understand, require power cycle at least 40%, sth like that), will it help?
I dont wanna root. If there is a way to go back 4.3 rom, I woulde like to do it.

hi ,
first, no on my other devices i had in the past ,htc one x ,if the mah was wrong i just manualy edited/override it(.eg.type 3200), in battery monitor setting /calibration/battery capacity (mah ) and it was updated ,so try ..no root needed for this .
i also see from your screenshot ..top right corner your estimated battery drainage is 2.29 % per hour ??(plse check why ?)
a small tip/advice ..
Don't be in such a hurry to revert/go back to 4.3 if you have a problem !
You are on Xda ,so i'm sure with advice from other forum members you can solve most issues !
Personally i really ,favour kitkat 4.4.2
My reasons ......
just the improved/increase in bluetooth stability ,already made it worth while !
i found that my bluetooth plantronic headset ,was not losing connection (from time to time) anymore,
my Note3 pairs with my Polar h7 hart/rate monitor..where on 4.3 it did not even pick it up !
my Gear watch has not lost connections as it had previously on 4.3
good luck
post note
the way i see it your device true value is 3200 ?
(How battery monitor gets 2100 ??? as stated above with htc one x, it show also wrong mah, but i manual changed it ,had no problems afterward, regarding this mah isssue)

Last edited:

black_eagle5000

Oct 29, 2010
I see, I was too panic about the mAh thing. I have decided to remove Batterry Monitor Widget and forget about it. I ll continue to use as normal, hopefully after some cycle charging, the battery ll back to normal.

By now, I ll use it, turn on power saving, and wait for the next update. I hope the next update that ll fix the 3rd party accessories ll solve my problem too.
P/s: I still regret about taking SM-N900. If I had chance to choose again, I would take a N9005 for better performance.

sgsI9003

Mar 13, 2011
New Delhi
Battery Monitor Widget can dramatically increase the life, In my case too it was reporting 1000mAh (I think its a bug in kernel on 4.4.2). Actually kernel doesn't know the battery capacity but somehow assumes it.

1. Any way change it manually to 3200 in BMW
2. Then charge battery to 100% once it shows 100% keep it on charge for another 30 mins for trickle charge.
3. then delete all battery history/statistics/ estimations from within BMW
4. use as normal but ensure that you let the battery die completely to 0% (phone should refuse to boot up on battery) before you plugin for next charge. (don't charge in between at all) the idea is to tell BMW the max & the min current which the battery can handle based on that BMW calculates the battery %
5. at least do this 100-0 then 0-100 cycles 3-4 times BMW will have enough data history to calibrate your battery.

I am now getting 31hrs backup on 100% charge This bug of kernel reporting mAh wrongly capacity happened in 4.4.2 update, on 4.3 many users say it was showing 3200mAh correctly.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-17-06-42-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-06-42-55.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 4,270