Best method to root on 4.2.2?

Search This thread

SRCP

Oct 5, 2012
My phone was rooted and I did a factory reset to send it to have the screen repaired. I lost root and I get the message "com.android.phone not responding" all the time if I restart the phone but it works fine. Someone told me to use Odin to wipe the phone and get rid of that message. After I do that, what tool should I use to root on 4.2.2?

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Need MORE info. What was the Original firmware/ what firmware do you have right now? You said 4.2.2 but which one? MDB? MDL? or MF3?
MDB and MDL you can do a lot note with and use motochopper + Loki bootloader bypass. MF3 patched the exploit and can only use safestrap recovery.

Read some of the threads once you find which firmware you have and/or on right now. If your stock, then beware it will AUTO UPDATE you without your consent. So find out what you have and need to do quickly.

SRCP

Oct 5, 2012
Need MORE info. What was the Original firmware/ what firmware do you have right now? You said 4.2.2 but which one? MDB? MDL? or MF3?
MDB and MDL you can do a lot note with and use motochopper + Loki bootloader bypass. MF3 patched the exploit and can only use safestrap recovery.

Read some of the threads once you find which firmware you have and/or on right now. If your stock, then beware it will AUTO UPDATE you without your consent. So find out what you have and need to do quickly.

Thanks.
VW7GB8X.png

Looks like it's MDL?. So I guess motochopper then. Mine cannot auto update fortunately. It fails every time. I've had it like that for a while but now I really want to root it again. I think it's because of that error I get on start-up that the update fails.

tsaxman

Mar 2, 2012
MA
Thanks.
VW7GB8X.png

Looks like it's MDL?. So I guess motochopper then. Mine cannot auto update fortunately. It fails every time. I've had it like that for a while but now I really want to root it again. I think it's because of that error I get on start-up that the update fails.

I had a similar situation, and the AT&T updates would fail at ~28%, even though I never approved the updates (my guess is that after I've said no more than 3 time, they did it anyways?). At that point I was stuck, and to make things worse, the WiFi was working only in my house, but no data over the ATT network, just voice. Even reflashing with ODIN didn't resolved the problem.

Had to bite the bullet and get the phone replaced by the warranty. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else,

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Thanks.
VW7GB8X.png

Since it is MDL firmware just use Motochopper + Loki and you will have a custom recovery (TWRP or CWM YOUR CHOICE). Then flash ANY custom ROM on your phone. You can have the best of BOTH worlds. You can flash a updated firmware ROM like ShoStock for the Touchwiz based Roms or a AOSP based ROMs. NO need to update firmware from ATT. In fact you lose what you can do with your phone if you do.
If you REALLY want to update to ATT newest firmware you can download the STOCK MDL firmware from samfirmware. Flash it which will make your phone PURE STOCK firmware and recovery. Then you will be able to update from ATT. The reason it fails is because you are rooted and probably custom recovery already?

SRCP

Oct 5, 2012
Thanks. Well, I had it rooted but it seems like I lost root when I did something, I don't remember but I think it's when I factory reset it to send it to be repaired. It still says custom when I turn restart it but I am not rooted. I'm not very knowledgeable at this, I just follow guides step by step. I used an old method to root, it was an automated tool, can't remember the name. Anyway, in my current custom, non-rooted state, sgould I do something first before using motochopper?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks. Well, I had it rooted but it seems like I lost root when I did something, I don't remember but I think it's when I factory reset it to send it to be repaired. It still says custom when I turn restart it but I am not rooted. I'm not very knowledgeable at this, I just follow guides step by step. I used an old method to root, it was an automated tool, can't remember the name. Anyway, in my current custom, non-rooted state, sgould I do something first before using motochopper?

If you got it repaired does it have the same firmware version on it? Got to menu, settings, more, about device and look for the last three characters of your baseband. What are they?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

SRCP

Oct 5, 2012
If you got it repaired does it have the same firmware version on it? Got to menu, settings, more, about device and look for the last three characters of your baseband. What are they?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah, that pic is recent. I got it repaired months ago.