Verizon Galaxy S3 Hyperdrive OTA Update

Search This thread

sawtooth500

Jun 21, 2013
I've got hyperdrive 2.0.3 on my phone - I know it's an older version, and my phone has been acting weird lately. I want to update, and I'm downloading the OTA update - is there a tutorial on how to update somewhere? Do we have to flash our phone new, like it's a new install of hyperdrive? I just don't want to lose all my settings, emails, text history, pictures, etc when I update. Thanks!

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
I've got hyperdrive 2.0.3 on my phone - I know it's an older version, and my phone has been acting weird lately. I want to update, and I'm downloading the OTA update - is there a tutorial on how to update somewhere? Do we have to flash our phone new, like it's a new install of hyperdrive? I just don't want to lose all my settings, emails, text history, pictures, etc when I update. Thanks!

I ALWAYS dirty flash everything and anything after doing a full backup.

You won't brick your phone, what may happen is that it won't boot or if it does boot it won't work. If that happens you go back, do a full wipe and re-install, if it does work you've saved a ton of time! If you've done proper backups you won't lose anything.

sawtooth500

Jun 21, 2013
I ALWAYS dirty flash everything and anything after doing a full backup.

You won't brick your phone, what may happen is that it won't boot or if it does boot it won't work. If that happens you go back, do a full wipe and re-install, if it does work you've saved a ton of time! If you've done proper backups you won't lose anything.

1. What's the best way to do a full backup?

2. Would you happen to have a link that gives instructions on how to do a dirty flash?

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
1. What's the best way to do a full backup?

2. Would you happen to have a link that gives instructions on how to do a dirty flash?

1. Make sure your battery is charged, then boot into recovery and select backup. The phone will do it all for you, to restore the backup, boot in to recovery and select restore.

2. Download the ROM you want to flash, I always download to my PC, then move the file to your SD card. Now make sure your battery is charged, boot into recovery, select install and select the ROM you've downloaded.

The only difference between a clean flash and a dirty flash is you don't wipe anything before installing a dirty flash, with a clean flash you wipe before installing and you'll have to re-install your apps, email, etc..

NOTES: There is more than one recovery so these instructions are pretty general but you can find very detailed instructions by doing some searching and reading here.