[Q] rooting and device encryption sm-n900

Search This thread

eduardogsilva

Jul 22, 2012
Greetings,

Yesterday I decided to root my Note 3 (sm-n900) mainly to remove samsung's bloatware and install afwall.

Just after I rooted my phone with Odin + "CF-Auto-Root-ha3g-ha3gxx-smn900" and went for the first reboot, I noticed that my phone wouldn't boot anymore. After some hair pulling, I decided to wipe the device and after that it booted fine.

Finally I managed to remove %$@! Flipboard and My magazine (a lot of crashes with sms and regular email, but worth removing!). Total happiness and a faster phone!

When I tried to enable encryption on the device, the phone just crashed again (with the same droid logo that appeared on the boot before the wipe). I came here and found some other users talking about rooting + encryption with sm-n900 saying that it's not working. (some reported that kingo method would work, but I really don't feel comfortable with king).

Now I'm downloading the stock rom, and planning to flash the note3 back to original since I have the recipe for T virus on my phone and couldn't allow it to fall on wrong hands :laugh:

Is this a bug on cf-auto-root or encryption doesn't work with rooting at all? If it's a bug, any ideas of when a fix should be around?

Thanks!

bruzzy

Jun 21, 2014
Hi eduardogsilva,

I don't know your device, but I encountered a problem activating encryption on a rooted SM-P900. I'm not sure, but I think it's a general problem with Samsung KitKat devices. I described, how I got it solved for my device here. If you still have issues, please have a look at my thread and let me know, if it works for you...

Cheers!

Reactions: eduardogsilva

eduardogsilva

Jul 22, 2012
Hi eduardogsilva,

I don't know your device, but I encountered a problem activating encryption on a rooted SM-P900. I'm not sure, but I think it's a general problem with Samsung KitKat devices. I described, how I got it solved for my device here. If you still have issues, please have a look at my thread and let me know, if it works for you...

Cheers!

Thanks again bruzzy :)

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Hello radicalisto, following the guide that bruzzy wrote, I managed to activate the encryption on a rooted note3.
So I guess that it should be fine now... Or is there any other issues besides activating encryption?

thanks

It'll work, just not 100% - don't be surprised if one day it freaks out on you and doesn't let you unlock it. Happens sometimes, Although, it may be that it'll stay fine for you (luck of the draw) - with root being an exploit, the system is designed to look out for changes and freak out if it spots them.

eduardogsilva

Jul 22, 2012
It'll work, just not 100% - don't be surprised if one day it freaks out on you and doesn't let you unlock it. Happens sometimes, Although, it may be that it'll stay fine for you (luck of the draw) - with root being an exploit, the system is designed to look out for changes and freak out if it spots them.

Well, the important information that I have on my mobile is in sync, the only bad thing would be reinstalling and reconfiguring everything again, so not a big problem in loosing my phone data.

I would love to use a custom rom and completely say goodbye to touchwiz and to the huge bloatware that comes with my phone, but unfortunately, CM for note3 exynos is not available yet.

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi eduardogsilva,

Cheers!