[Q] Are ALL Nexus 7 LTE tablets SIM unlocked?

Search This thread

MoonFallsDown

May 29, 2009
I have two Nexus 7 LTE tablets that I acquired from Craigslist. One came with a T-Mobile SIM card, the other is in a Verizon branded box and clearly came from Verizon retailer.

I was under the impression that ALL of the Nexus 7 LTE tablets are unlocked. However, when I boot the T-Mobile one, the bootloader shows a unlocked symbol at the bottom, however the Verizon one does not. I'm not sure if this is just Verizon trickery or not.

Would I be able to use the Verizon one on a GSM network? I assume the internal hardware is identical between the two.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
The unlock icon at boot has nothing to do with carrier locking, that's if the bootloader was unlocked.

skiman10

Oct 1, 2012
Yes you can use a Verizon one on a gsm network. I got a Verizon one on T-Mobile right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MoonFallsDown

bob60626

Feb 7, 2013
Chicago
My Verizon sold N7 actually works with my T-Mobile unlimited PHONE sim. I only do that at home since I don't have a case for it yet, but I have sms through xposed, the T-Mobile visual voicemail, and Vonage for outgoing calls. Tethering also only shows as data used, not tethering. I've done this many times with no issues.

Reactions: MoonFallsDown

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes you can use a Verizon one on a gsm network. I got a Verizon one on T-Mobile right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    My Verizon sold N7 actually works with my T-Mobile unlimited PHONE sim. I only do that at home since I don't have a case for it yet, but I have sms through xposed, the T-Mobile visual voicemail, and Vonage for outgoing calls. Tethering also only shows as data used, not tethering. I've done this many times with no issues.