[Q] Stuck on TWRP Screen

Search This thread

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
Ok, I am a nervous wreak! My 13 year old son borrowed my Kindle Fire and without my knowing, tried to root it. When I got it back and attempted to power it on, the yellow triangle with the fire symbol appeared. After waiting a few seconds, a black and gray screen with TWRP v2.0.0 appears.

He says that after he attempted the root and was unable to install the android market, he tried to do a restore under "device".

The Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) screen that appears on the device has several options that I can choose from, including: Install, Backup, Restore, Wipe, Mount, Settings, Advanced, and Reboot. I am not familiar with what information you would need to help me get my device to boot back up.

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance!

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
Ok, I am a nervous wreak! My 13 year old son borrowed my Kindle Fire and without my knowing, tried to root it. When I got it back and attempted to power it on, the yellow triangle with the fire symbol appeared. After waiting a few seconds, a black and gray screen with TWRP v2.0.0 appears.

He says that after he attempted the root and was unable to install the android market, he tried to do a restore under "device".

The Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) screen that appears on the device has several options that I can choose from, including: Install, Backup, Restore, Wipe, Mount, Settings, Advanced, and Reboot. I am not familiar with what information you would need to help me get my device to boot back up.

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Don't panic... Start reading here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1552547

Familiarize yourself with the terminology so you know what steps you need to take. You'll eventually have to try resetting the bootmode to normal and restart the device. However, your OS may have been corrupted and you might not be able to boot back in to it. There's still no need to panic. You'll be able to get it working again. Just relax and follow along with the 1st post above. Look at the second post and just verify that your drivers are working right. Then you can try setting the bootmode back.

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
Oh my gosh, I am so ready to cry!!! All the information that I have read has really just confused me more. I asked my son what exactly he did and he told me he watched a video on youtube that required him to download the Kindle Fire Utility and install the drivers and root. He wasn't sure how to unroot it before he went into the device itself and "restore". I'm not sure if doing this caused the device to change the way it boots during restart, but I am at a lose. I am not familiar with how all this electronic software works and as sad as it may sound, I'm ready to just take away his allowance and just buy a new device.

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
Oh my gosh, I am so ready to cry!!! All the information that I have read has really just confused me more. I asked my son what exactly he did and he told me he watched a video on youtube that required him to download the Kindle Fire Utility and install the drivers and root. He wasn't sure how to unroot it before he went into the device itself and "restore". I'm not sure if doing this caused the device to change the way it boots during restart, but I am at a lose. I am not familiar with how all this electronic software works and as sad as it may sound, I'm ready to just take away his allowance and just buy a new device.

OK... you and your son sit down together and do the following...

1) Hook up your Kindle Fire to the computer and turn it on... let it boot to TWRP
2) Open the Kindle Fire Utility with the "run" file in the Kindle Fire Utility folder.
3) Near the bottom, it should say "ADB Status: Online"
4) Press the "1" key and hit ENTER
5) At the next menu, press the "1" key and hit ENTER
6) Wait and see if it will reboot
7) If it does not reboot on its own or it says "<waiting for device>" then press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds until the device shuts off. Then press the power button again to turn it back on.

Hopefully, this will get the Kindle Fire to boot up again normally. Once you do that, you are going to have to try and reinstall the stock software (what your Kindle Fire came equipped with when you bought it), but that's probably letting the cart get ahead of the horse at the moment.

Let's see how the above works out first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly0247

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
At step 3, the ADB Status says "Offline"

After trying to reboot normally, it sticks at <waiting for device>

Last edited:

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
Yes, I actually restarted the device and the Kindle Fire splash screen came up just as you posted the response. Will this remove the root from the device?

You have been so very patient with me. You are WONDERFUL!!!!!

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
Yes, I actually restarted the device and the Kindle Fire splash screen came up just as you posted the response. Will this remove the root from the device?

All you've managed to do so far was to get the device to boot normally.

My guess is that your son never got far enough to actually root the device. However, he did get it to install a new bootloader (the part with the yellow triangle that comes up when you restart it) and a new recovery (TWRP). Right now, these things are harmless and you can leave it alone for the time being.

My suggestion to you would be to just keep using it as you would normally for now. If you can't get some of Amazon services to work or you have problems with it, come back and post another question about getting it back to stock. When the next Kindle Fire update comes along from Amazon, it will reinstall everything back to stock anyway (I'm mostly certain about this, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

And I agree with soupmagnet... don't be so hard on the kid about his little experiment.... no harm, no foul.

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
I've noticed now that I am unable to view any of the files on my device after connecting it to my PC. Is there any way to correct this or would it be too much of headache for me to attempt?

Thanks again for all the help you have given.

Oh, and I didn't harm my child, but he does know that he is not allowed to play around with my electronic devices anymore. :eek:

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
I've noticed now that I am unable to view any of the files on my device after connecting it to my PC. Is there any way to correct this or would it be too much of headache for me to attempt?

Thanks again for all the help you have given.

Oh, and I didn't harm my child, but he does know that he is not allowed to play around with my electronic devices anymore. :eek:

Something might have happened to your /sdcard (your storage space on the Kindle Fire) when your son was playing around with it. If you aren't too concerned about what's on there, you can just try formatting or erasing the contents of it. When you hook it up to your Windows machine, it might ask if you want to format it. In that case, it's very likely that you wouldn't be able to recover it even if you wanted, so I would just go ahead and format it. Another way to do this would be to reset the device to factory defaults. You would lose all installed apps, books, etc. and have to re-enter all your network and Amazon information afterwards, but the process will bring the /sdcard on the Kindle Fire to roughly the same as it was when you got it. You can find it in settings -> devices -> reset to factory defaults (this is from memory, so the wording might be slightly different). It all really depends on what you are willing to lose on the device. If you don't care... just erase it and start over.

Last edited:

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
Ok, i tried to reset the device to factory settings, but when it rebooted, it brought up the TWRP menu again. Any idea what else I can try?

kinfauns

Jan 5, 2012
Ok, i tried to reset the device to factory settings, but when it rebooted, it brought up the TWRP menu again. Any idea what else I can try?

If you haven't gotten things working yet...

If you are in TWRP, try the WIPE -> SD Card option to get your storage space reformatted. You can then use the MOUNT button in TWRP and it should show up on your Windows desktop again.

Then to get rid of TWRP altogether, you can download the software update from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6_updatesi?nodeId=200790620

Rather than follow the instructions on that page, rename the downloaded file to "update.zip" (without the quotes). You'll get a warning about file extensions... it's OK to change the name anyway. The file icon will change to a zippered folder after this. Copy the update.zip file over to your Kindle Fire.

Back in TWRP, hit the INSTALL button. Over in the right panel, you should see the update.zip file you transferred to the Kindle Fire. Touch that file name and you'll be able to continue installing that file onto your Kindle Fire. When it's done, you can reboot from the home menu.

It will take a few minutes for it to boot up for the first time, but when it's done, you should have a fresh, completely stock sytem and you'll be rid of TWRP.

Kelly0247

Apr 16, 2012
This is an update to let you know that my Kindle is now back in perfect condition. Kinfauns, thank you so much for all the information and the attempts to help me fix this problem. Unfortunately, I needed more indepth help and wasn't able to correct my issues with the steps given.

Soupmagnet: Thank you, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart for the many hours of trial and error that you spent helping me repair my device. Your patience with me was beyond belief and I will never be able to thank you enough!

You are totally AWESOME!!!!!

KeaDe135

Apr 23, 2012
Please help.

I am also stuck on the TWRP screen.

When I:
1) Hook up my Kindle Fire to the computer and turn it on...let it boot to TWRP
2) Open the Kindle Fire Utility with the "run" file in the KFU folder
3) It registers "ADB Status: Online"
4) When I hit "1" for Normal it states:
"The system cannot find the drive specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
"
"
"
"

What is the drive specified it is referring to?

Thank you.

Last edited:

linktohack

Apr 21, 2012
Please help.

I am also stuck on the TWRP screen.

When I:
1) Hook up my Kindle Fire to the computer and turn it on...let it boot to TWRP
2) Open the Kindle Fire Utility with the "run" file in the KFU folder
3) It registers "ADB Status: Online"
4) When I hit "1" for Normal it states:
"The system cannot find the drive specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
"
"
"
"

What is the drive specified it is referring to?

Thank you.

I *guess* it refers to the external Sd Card, since I got the same error.

In your case, since Adb status is online then just open a Terminal Emulator (cmd.exe in case of Windows) and change directoy to the tools folder inside Kfu, and run the command

adb shell idme bootmode 4000

Gửi từ Kindle Lửa của tôi qua Tapatalk 2

Yizzie09

Aug 11, 2012
Same Issue except I want to finish rooting it

I'm running Kindle Fire 6.3.1
I ran Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 and hit option 2, install permanent root with superuser.
The process went smoothly until i ran into this

/sbin/sh;idme:not found 808 kb/s (22364 bytes in 0.027s)
attempt to remove root check
please wait..

and it got stuck there (no screenshots...sorry)

At that time, my KF had rebooted with blue fire, then it loaded TWRP v2.20

Apparently the instructions I initially followed was for KFU v0.9.4 and I've been searching for 2 hours on what the next steps are.

I restarted my laptop (Sony VAIO VPCEA46F) and my KF through TWRP 'reboot' --->'power off'

I plugged in my KF and ran KFU now it says

ADB Status: Online
Boot Status: Unkown

And now I am stuck in TWRP Recovery with my thumb up my ass..

I know, I know... I'm a fool for not checking things before starting this process. I appreciate any help and I'll accept any and all insults.

Thanks!

Yiz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OK... you and your son sit down together and do the following...

1) Hook up your Kindle Fire to the computer and turn it on... let it boot to TWRP
    2) Open the Kindle Fire Utility with the "run" file in the Kindle Fire Utility folder.
    3) Near the bottom, it should say "ADB Status: Online"
    4) Press the "1" key and hit ENTER
    5) At the next menu, press the "1" key and hit ENTER
    6) Wait and see if it will reboot
    7) If it does not reboot on its own or it says "<waiting for device>" then press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds until the device shuts off. Then press the power button again to turn it back on.

Hopefully, this will get the Kindle Fire to boot up again normally. Once you do that, you are going to have to try and reinstall the stock software (what your Kindle Fire came equipped with when you bought it), but that's probably letting the cart get ahead of the horse at the moment.

Let's see how the above works out first.
    At step 3, the ADB Status says "Offline"

Just go ahead and do what I said anyway... when it tells you "<waiting for device>" restart it using the button in TWRP or the power button like I indicated before.

All you've managed to do so far was to get the device to boot normally.

My guess is that your son never got far enough to actually root the device. However, he did get it to install a new bootloader (the part with the yellow triangle that comes up when you restart it) and a new recovery (TWRP). Right now, these things are harmless and you can leave it alone for the time being.

My suggestion to you would be to just keep using it as you would normally for now. If you can't get some of Amazon services to work or you have problems with it, come back and post another question about getting it back to stock. When the next Kindle Fire update comes along from Amazon, it will reinstall everything back to stock anyway (I'm mostly certain about this, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

And I agree with soupmagnet... don't be so hard on the kid about his little experiment.... no harm, no foul.
    I sent you a private message so you can get in touch with me for some live help if you need it.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

If you haven't gotten things working yet...

If you are in TWRP, try the WIPE -> SD Card option to get your storage space reformatted. You can then use the MOUNT button in TWRP and it should show up on your Windows desktop again.

Then to get rid of TWRP altogether, you can download the software update from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6_updatesi?nodeId=200790620

Rather than follow the instructions on that page, rename the downloaded file to "update.zip" (without the quotes). You'll get a warning about file extensions... it's OK to change the name anyway. The file icon will change to a zippered folder after this. Copy the update.zip file over to your Kindle Fire.

Back in TWRP, hit the INSTALL button. Over in the right panel, you should see the update.zip file you transferred to the Kindle Fire. Touch that file name and you'll be able to continue installing that file onto your Kindle Fire. When it's done, you can reboot from the home menu.

It will take a few minutes for it to boot up for the first time, but when it's done, you should have a fresh, completely stock sytem and you'll be rid of TWRP.