[Q] How to install2 copies of the same app

Search This thread

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
I use a dvd catalog app called amc reader. I have 2 movie catalogs my own one and my sons. the problem i have is i can only import one at a time to view into the app which is not useful to us..

what i am trying to achieve with the help of you good people is i would like to be able to install 2 copies of the same app on my htc desire and have one running my movies list and the other running my sons so that both are always accessible without having to re import from on to another.

the only way i can think of to do his is to trick the phone into thinking that the same app installed twice is actually 2 different apps. so how can i go about doing this, i had thought of renaming the second copy of the app to a different name but not sure how to do this.

any help would be great.
thanks

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
I believe to do this you would need to rename the package names. (This is not the same as simply renaming the actual apk file).
To do this you need to decompile the apk using apktool, then edit the package name that has been declared in the AndroidManifest.xml to something different than the original. Finally you could recompile the apk. Then you should be able to install both the original app and the one you modified.

Another easier way to do this would to use the multiuser function in newer roms. Im not sure if any other roms have it, but I can confirm that my latest Beanstalk build contains the feature. Essentially it allows you to create multiple users on the phone. Then at the lock screen you are given the option to pick the user account that you want to enter (similarly to how multiple users works on a PC). Each user is given their own data space.

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
i used apktool to decompile. then i edited manifest name and recompiled using apktool.

no when i try to install modified app i get a problem parsing the package app.

any ideas?

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
i tries signing it but still nothing.

can you gice me a guide on editing the manifest and rebuilding the apk just to be sure i have not missed anything?