[SPECS] Sony Xperia Z3 Specifications - Members Thoughts

Search This thread

ForumNinja

Forum Editor
Aug 26, 2014
Hey Guys and Gals:)

After just 6 months, Sony has released its latest flagship device the Sony Xperia Z3. With this we also see the release of the Z3 Compact and Z3 Tablet Compact. This series adds PS4 remote play, something that could prove very interesting, especially if it can be ported to other devices. Lets take a look at the specifications of the Xperia Z3. Feel free to comment:)

attachment.php

Specifications:

Display - IPS LCD, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 inches (~424 ppi pixel density)
Chipset - Qualcomm MSM8974AC Snapdragon 801
CPU - Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400
GPU - Adreno 330
RAM - 3GB
Memory - 16/32 GB, microSD, up to 128 GB
Camera - 20.7 MP, 5248 х 3936 pixels, autofocus, LED flash. Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, HDR
Secondary Camera - 2.2 MP. Video: 1080p@30fps
Sensors - Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
Connectivity - Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot. Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, NFC
Battery - 3100 mAh
Dimensions - 146 x 72 x 7.3 mm
Weight - 163 g

Attachments

• Sony-Xperia-Z3-Specs.jpg
    Sony-Xperia-Z3-Specs.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 16,938
Last edited:

OreBoySwaggin

Feb 26, 2012
Portland Metro
I'm just confused why they kept the 801, and not the 805. I love the PS4 remote play and would love to see a port of that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
I'm thinking wonderful, but it's sad that I have to buy another device so quickly so I can get Band 12 support. I happen to love my G3, particularly the rear buttons, but a waterproof device has some appeal too, and I hear Sony has a KnockOn knock-off....yes that sounds weird.

I suppose I should still be able to get a lot for my G3 if I do sell it, and there's an XPosed module to make the Sony 5x5 like LG does. Still, side buttons seem so....primitive. :)

Kanes_Inferno

Jul 13, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Is it true Sony stopped using the Anti Shatter Films? I have the Z1s, I heard with the Z2 and onward they stopped using them.

If so, how does the dragon tail glass hold up? As good (or better) than Gorilla Glass?

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Free mobile app

skivnit

May 21, 2012
I love How Sony fans are not as demanding as Samsung fans, Z3 is a q1 2014 device yet no one is complaining. On the note 4 forums, Samsung is doomed because they're using latest and fastest soc with best gpu. Go figure

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mobe1969

tft

Feb 24, 2008
It's hard to say because iFans still love iPhones.
you telling me.. i have a relative who is a brainwashed into iphones/apple.. yet when i asked him why he likes them so much he couldn't even give me a real answer.

I love How Sony fans are not as demanding as Samsung fans, Z3 is a q1 2014 device yet no one is complaining. On the note 4 forums, Samsung is doomed because they're using latest and fastest soc with best gpu. Go figure

probably because only 13 people in the US can actually get one.. if/when xperia come back to more than 1 US carrier then the device will likely get more scrutiny.. Americans tend to be more vocal and cautious when it comes to spending a fortune on gadgets when there isn't much change from previous iterations to justify buying another device.

numskull

Oct 19, 2010

My z2 is my first sony android, i had samsungs previously........ z3 doesn't seem different enough from my z2 to warrant even consider buying, especially as im only 5 or 6 months into a 2 year contract. Only thing that interests me on z3 is ps4 remote play but at that price id be better off buying another ps4 for the other room lol

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
probably because only 13 people in the US can actually get one.. if/when xperia come back to more than 1 US carrier then the device will likely get more scrutiny.. Americans tend to be more vocal and cautious when it comes to spending a fortune on gadgets when there isn't much change from previous iterations to justify buying another device.

There are rumours that Sprint and Verizon will be getting it as well. T-mobile is confirmed to be getting it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Q.Entity

Nov 17, 2010
Dallas
I have a Z2 and I am disappointed that Sony did not go 5.5 inches for screen.

Still getting one in copper. Get bored of a phone that lasts me more than 6 months...

Tommy-Geenexus

Apr 30, 2013
I live on a Stone Hill.

The Note 4 isn't faster because of the 2k display.
In fact, the Z3 will be faster due to better software.

Gorgenapper

Aug 6, 2013
I'm interested in this, more so than I ever was for the Z2.

Sony is doing it right - by not jumping on the QHD bandwagon, they avoid having the problems of a QHD display while still retaining enough screen sharpness to look almost as good as QHD. Anybody who says that they can spot an immediate difference between 1440p and 1080p on a 5"~ screen is lying, or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Other points of interest:
  • LCD panel, not crappy AMOLED
  • 3100mah battery - huge for a device of this size
  • 32gb memory option with micro SD support up to 128gb - 32gb is enough for everyday use in case you don't like micro SD cards, or your micro SD card fails on you (like mine did a few weeks ago)
  • waterproof / dustproof
  • beautiful design

The only real con I can think of is the micro usb flap - with repeated use, it is possible that flap might fall off. I had such a flap on my Samsung GS4 Active, and it gave up the ghost about a week ago - snapping off in my fingers as I removed it. Fortunately there might be a solution where you can buy a USB charging/data cable with a magnetic attachment, to attach to the Xperia's dock charging pins...

Reactions: Mobe1969

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
The only real con I can think of is the micro usb flap - with repeated use, it is possible that flap might fall off. I had such a flap on my Samsung GS4 Active, and it gave up the ghost about a week ago - snapping off in my fingers as I removed it. Fortunately there might be a solution where you can buy a USB charging/data cable with a magnetic attachment, to attach to the Xperia's dock charging pins...

Good point. Probably that would be easier to use with a case as well. Most cases will probably block the flap from opening.

Gorgenapper

Aug 6, 2013
Good point. Probably that would be easier to use with a case as well. Most cases will probably block the flap from opening.

Yeah, a magnetic charging cable such as this one has several advantages over a regular micro usb cable. For one, it attaches magnetically so you don't have to fiddle with the cable, and it can attach even when you're driving and need to charge your phone in the phone holder. It avoids repeated use of the plastic flap, so the flap will only have to be removed once in a blue moon to access the micro sd card.

If I get the opportunity to buy a Z3 32gb in Canada, and I know that there will be XDA support for it, then I would be greatly tempted to upgrade to it. The only thing holding me back is the knowledge that the new Nexus phone (whatever it is) will be announced soon-ish, and I would greatly prefer the latest and greatest stock Android over anything else.

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
I'd be going for the T-mobile model, with WiFi calling, Band 12, and hopefully it has VoLTE as well. Particularly with the WiFi calling, one just has to accept being stuck with the OEM ROM.

tft

Feb 24, 2008
There are rumours that Sprint and Verizon will be getting it as well. T-mobile is confirmed to be getting it.

we shall see, but so far the rumors don't seem to be holding any water.. and unlike t-mobile, sprint has not posted any thing on their website news regarding it.. yet they quickly posted about how they are getting the note 4 / edge. IMO if they were getting the Z3 they would be as quick as tmobile to post news bragging about it because it would be huge news considering they never really carried a sony phone before.

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
we shall see, but so far the rumors don't seem to be holding any water.. and unlike t-mobile, sprint has not posted any thing on their website news regarding it.. yet they quickly posted about how they are getting the note 4 / edge. IMO if they were getting the Z3 they would be as quick as tmobile to post news bragging about it because it would be huge news considering they never really carried a sony phone before.

We're talking Sprint here, how much do you expect? They can't anger Samsung can they?

Clearly I don't think very highly of Sprint, then again, they seem to be more concerned with Huawei and ZTE anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm interested in this, more so than I ever was for the Z2.

Sony is doing it right - by not jumping on the QHD bandwagon, they avoid having the problems of a QHD display while still retaining enough screen sharpness to look almost as good as QHD. Anybody who says that they can spot an immediate difference between 1440p and 1080p on a 5"~ screen is lying, or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Other points of interest:
    • LCD panel, not crappy AMOLED
    • 3100mah battery - huge for a device of this size
    • 32gb memory option with micro SD support up to 128gb - 32gb is enough for everyday use in case you don't like micro SD cards, or your micro SD card fails on you (like mine did a few weeks ago)
    • waterproof / dustproof
    • beautiful design

if/when xperia come back to more than 1 US carrier then the device will likely get more scrutiny.. Americans tend to be more vocal and cautious when it comes to spending a fortune on gadgets when there isn't much change from previous iterations to justify buying another device.

Unfortunately android smartphone forums with a large US membership (ie. android central) also tend to nitpick and exaggerate and overflow with fanboyism. If the Xperia line becomes common on US carriers I expect those forums like AC are going to get saturated by Samsung drones going "lol epic fail my galaxy R t3h way better than this sony is fail lulz!!!" :rolleyes: