Leaving the MT4G Soon - But, I Need Your Advice!!

Search This thread

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
So, I've been rocking the MT4G since Dec 2010. Great phone. I've also been out of the US since June 2011 (been in Nigeria). Now, I return somewhere between next week and June. When I get back, I want a new phone.

But, I'm confused. I've read several articles only to get confused. Right now, there's three phones that look good. HTC Amaze, HTC One X, HTC One S. Now, here's where I'm confused about:

1. With the One series, are both coming to T-Mo or just the S?

2. I read that the One series will only have Edge, but then I read they will have 42Mbps 4G - what will they one run at in the US? Seriously, one article literally said Edge and one paragraph later said HSPA+. (Maybe I'm just that sleepy and can't read right now)

3. Articles kept confusing me on radios and crap. T-Mo is GSM, so if I travel outside of the country again (I will), will I be able to use the One series phones like I did with the MT4G? The MT4G gave me 4G outside the country as well.

I'm extremely disappointed that they will not have microSD slots (seriously?:mad:)

Right now, assuming T-Mo is only getting the S, I see the Amaze as still the better bang for buck for two reasons: NFID and microSD.

Please help me out and your help is appreciated. If there's typos in this post, forgive me. I'm tired and hungry as hell:D.

DKMikey

Jul 10, 2011
1. From what I have read, T-Mobile will be receiving both phones. I am 100% sure that the One S is coming to T-Mobile. A quick google search gave me this: CLICK

2. Both phones shall have 4G; 100% guaranteed if you buy it from T-Mobile

3. I'm quite confident that it will be GSM. Just make sure that T-Mobile unlocks the phone so it can be used internationally.

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
1. From what I have read, T-Mobile will be receiving both phones. I am 100% sure that the One S is coming to T-Mobile. A quick google search gave me this: CLICK

2. Both phones shall have 4G; 100% guaranteed if you buy it from T-Mobile

3. I'm quite confident that it will be GSM. Just make sure that T-Mobile unlocks the phone so it can be used internationally.

I S-Off and Root, so no worry there. Its just that they're adding all of these radio frequencies and I want to make sure it works at least as well as the MT4G does abroad. And, that link is for people in the UK. I need to know about T-Mo USA.

What do you feel about the Amaze compared to these two?

Last edited:

invasion2

Oct 3, 2011
Space, the ONLY Frontier
I S-Off and Root, so no worry there. Its just that they're adding all of these radio frequencies and I want to make sure it works at least as well as the MT4G does abroad. And, that link is for people in the UK. I need to know about T-Mo USA.

If you're looking for ROMs and stuff, the Amaze IS NOT the way to go. They haven't even achieved S-OFF I believe. Go with the X or S

Sent from my Sense 4.0 Glacier using XDA Premium.

saranhai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Nowhere

check t-mobile's website. they have the HTC One S up there.
i personally don't think that the HTC One X will come to TMOUS, because AT&T has it... but hey it's all good. i heard AT&T thinks that data speed is more important than phone speed, so the American version of the One X will still be duo core like the One S... if i were going to get a HTC One X, i would get it from another country... IMHO

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali
Want to relieve yourself from all the confusion? Go for the amaze. SD card slot, remove able battery, 8mp camera with dual led(awesome pics), 42mbps 4g( I've read some where HTC one series won't be 42mbps 4g speeds), dual core and will be getting official ics just like the one series devices.

By the way, T-Mobile will be getting the one s and att the one x. In my opinion, the one s barely has any improvements on the amaze if any besides ics which the amaze will be getting. The amaze is a beast out the box. I bought it for my girl. I love the damn thing. I for sure won't be considering the one series. Ill be purchasing the amaze soon.

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
If you're looking for ROMs and stuff, the Amaze IS NOT the way to go. They haven't even achieved S-OFF I believe. Go with the X or S

Sent from my Sense 4.0 Glacier using XDA Premium.

You're kidding me... I'm sure they'll get it though. I recall the MT4G being a pain for devs to figure out, but they got it.

check t-mobile's website. they have the HTC One S up there.
i personally don't think that the HTC One X will come to TMOUS, because AT&T has it... but hey it's all good. i heard AT&T thinks that data speed is more important than phone speed, so the American version of the One X will still be duo core like the One S... if i were going to get a HTC One X, i would get it from another country... IMHO

So... In that case... Should I get the phone from AT&T and use it on T-Mobile? But, again, this whole radio thing, there's a whole even more confusing thread about this issue. About the 1700 3G and Edge thing. Everyone in that thread is confused.

If I get either of these phones, be it the S or the X, I want 4G. When I got abroad again, I still want 4G.

I guess when I get back to the States, I'll be having a long talk with T-Mobile.

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Want to relieve yourself from all the confusion? Go for the amaze. SD card slot, remove able battery, 8mp camera with dual led(awesome pics), 42mbps 4g( I've read some where HTC one series won't be 42mbps 4g speeds), dual core and will be getting official ics just like the one series devices.

By the way, T-Mobile will be getting the one s and att the one x. In my opinion, the one s barely has any improvements on the amaze if any besides ics which the amaze will be getting. The amaze is a beast out the box. I bought it for my girl. I love the damn thing. I for sure won't be considering the one series. Ill be purchasing the amaze soon.

Dangit man, then it makes me want to wait. I can't S-Off and root the Amaze at this point. I just realized after I made my last post how long the Amaze has been out and they've yet to S-Off and root the thing.

The S not having NFID and only 16GB pretty much breaks it. So, I was hoping the X would come as well. How sure are you that we're only getting the S?

Okay, seriously, I'm going to bed. I will check this in the morning.

Last edited:

aznprodgy

Dec 22, 2010
Columbus, GA
LG V20
LG G7 ThinQ
Dangit man, then it makes me want to wait. I can't S-Off and root the Amaze at this point. I just realized after I made my last post how long the Amaze has been out and they've yet to S-Off and root the thing.

The S not having NFID and only 16GB pretty much breaks it. So, I was hoping the X would come as well. How sure are you that we're only getting the S?

yeah the Amaze is a nice phone, but still sad to see that it still hasnt been S=OFF. but concerning your 4G question...I think if you buy an unlocked phone from another carrier, youll only be able to use EDGE or 3G at the most because of the different radio bands used. my contract is up in October, so I still have some time to find some better phones coming out later this year

DKMikey

Jul 10, 2011

I would personally disagree. Not only does the One Series have better hardware and software out of the box, but because of it's insane hype and the fact that it is international, it will have fast and great development for a long time (think HTC Sensation).

smooth3d

Apr 24, 2009
Tulsa Ok
Wow there is so much wrong info in this thread! 1. The T-mobile One S will have 42mps HSPA+ on the AWS 1700/2100 bands. If the country does not support those it will fall to 2g/Edge speeds. If your mytouch 4g had 4g signal where you was at then you will get 4G on the One S from T-mobile USA since they are on the same bands. 2. Rumors say that T-mobile is getting a One X variant called the G4X with the Tegra 3 running stock ICS a sequel to Lg's G2X with the Tegra 2.

P.S. To respond to another post the Dual Core Qualcomm S4 IS NOT A DOWNGRADE from the Tegra 3 they are both very powerful.

coupetastic-droid

Dec 25, 2010
cali

Okay, seriously, I'm going to bed. I will check this in the morning.

I have my girls amaze unlocked and rooted. Running a custom recovery, rom with faux amaze custom kernel. You don't need s-off to root the amaze or flash.
Also, in the topic of s-off, a few known devs already figures s-off for the amaze. They are just finishing test before posting the how to.

I'm not 100% sure of tmo just getting the one s but it is all over the net that tmo is getting only the one s and att the one x. No matter which, I still won't be getting one.

eliasadrian

Nov 8, 2010
SLC, UT
Just a random thought from an amaze owner, if you want an amazing phone that works then go with the amaze but there's not a big dev scene at all. If you want ROMs and development and all that, go with a One series phone - I agree with the analogy to the sensation and how the One series will have tons of development for being international. The amaze really is a fantastic phone that is barely beat by the One S, except in size cuz the One S is way thin! Other than thinness, development is the only reason I would consider getting a One S or X (the permanent battery and microsd are really annoying, too).

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Yeah, do I think the way to go its just to see what will happen when I get back. Maybe we'll get lucky and the rumors of us getting a variant of the X is true.

Since these come out in April, I might be waiting a while until the next Bugatti HTC comes out..

But, I do need both S-off and root.

How would a European X work on T-Mo's 4G?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

richdaley

Jun 3, 2010
I have been looking around for a new phone too but I think I am just going to keep the MT4G. The ICS Roms for it are running great and the awesome virtuous sense 4 rom is almost ready for prime time. The international One X looks pretty nice. I am not completely sold on the One S.

I wish t-mo had an htc phone that was like the Galaxy Note. Hopefully soon.

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
I have been looking around for a new phone too but I think I am just going to keep the MT4G. The ICS Roms for it are running great and the awesome virtuous sense 4 rom is almost ready for prime time. The international One X looks pretty nice. I am not completely sold on the One S.

I wish t-mo had an htc phone that was like the Galaxy Note. Hopefully soon.

I'm not at all sold on the S. But, is the Virtuous Sense 4 Rom on ICS?

MildewMan

Dec 25, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
But, I do need both S-off and root.
Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

1. With the Amaze, you get a cheaper (price-wise not quality) phone than the One S/X.

2. Barely any difference in the Amaze and the One S power-wise.

3. One S does not have an SD-card slot so you're stuck with 16 GB forever on that phone. Amaze has 16 GB internal memory AND has an SD card slot that will work with 64GB microSD.

4. One S/X do not have removeable batteries, so if they go bad, you have to send the whole phone back for repair/replacement. Also can't carry extra batteries with you to switch out during a long day.

5. I've read that the ceramic cases on the One series have been chipping (poor build quality?).

6. Amaze is supported by Madmaxx's 4EXT recovery, so it can flash kernels from recovery without S-OFF (S-OFF exploit has been discovered though and will probably be released soon).

7. One S/X will have Sense 4.0, while the Amaze should have 3.6 (if you like Sense).

8. One S/X will have ICS right out of the box. Amaze should be receiving it soon.

9. The Amaze's capacitive buttons cause a light bleed on the screen (these can be turned off with root access).

In the end though, the choice is yours. I personally feel like the One S is a downgrade from the Amaze without the microSD. Also (just a small correction to something you wrote) we do have root on this phone.

Last edited:

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
1. With the Amaze, you get a cheaper (price-wise not quality) phone than the One S/X.

3. One S does not have an SD-card slot so you're stuck with 16 GB forever on that phone. Amaze has 16 GB internal memory AND has an SD card slot that will work with 64GB microSD.

4. One S/X do not have removeable batteries, so if they go bad, you have to send the whole phone back for repair/replacement. Also can't carry extra batteries with you to switch out during a long day.

5. I've read that the ceramic cases on the One series have been chipping (poor build quality?).

6. Amaze is supported by Madmaxx's 4EXT recovery, so it can flash kernels from recovery without S-OFF (S-OFF exploit has been discovered though and will probably be released soon).

7. One S/X will have Sense 4.0, while the Amaze should have 3.6 (if you like Sense).

8. One S/X will have ICS right out of the box. Amaze should be receiving it soon.

9. The Amaze's capacitive buttons cause a light bleed on the screen (these can be turned off with root access).

In the end though, the choice is yours. I personally feel like the One S is a downgrade from the Amaze without the microSD. Also (just a small correction to something you wrote) we do have root on this phone.

Yeah, you're forgetting the fact that the One S won't have the NFID Chip. This is the whole thing I really want.

Yes, I LOVE Sense! But, really, I think I'll go with the Amaze. Unless there's speculation on the next Bugatti HTC coming to T-Mo after the One S. Because, the let's face it, when the MT4G came out, it was the Bugatti of phones at that time. The One S is more like the Lambo.

smooth3d

Apr 24, 2009
Tulsa Ok

Just to give a slight rebuttal to a couple of things. I do agree the Amaze is a very nice phone. The Amaze S3 soc is very nice but he S4 is more future proof it's arguably the fastest soc out now!

The T-mo USA is only getting the blur/silver version as of now, which does not have the coating issue.

And which has already been mentioned before the One S will have vastly more custom rom development then the Amaze.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Get the one s, I'll be hopefully going over there. If/when I do, I'll be bringing/making roms for it. Maybe kernels.

If I helped, give thanks, if you please.
    ........Death before dishonor........
    Team inferno
    Leader