CWM recovery and Jelly Bean

Search This thread

hobby31

Feb 14, 2010
I was one of the ones with problems with trying to restore nandroids and wiping data. I got stuck going from vicious JB v1 to V2 then back to v1. Somehow, after attempting to restore numerous nandroids of ICS and my nandroid of V1 I somehow got it to boot.

Now, I've noticed that whenever I boot into recovery if I go to "mounts and storage" I see cache is mounted. I can unmount it and make a nandroid. Then if I go back to "mounts and storage" I see data is mounted and wont unmount so when trying to restore a nandroid it hangs at the data part.

He is what I do that has been working for me.

Once in recovery, I go to mounts and storage and unmount cache. Make a nandroid. Go back to mounts and storage and see data is mounted and won't unmount. I then go to "advanced" and select reboot recovery. Once it reboots into recovery I go back to mounts and storage and see that data is unmounted. I then can restore a nandroid. I've done this successfully going from vicious v3 to BAMF v2 then back to vicous v3.

I just wanted to share this and hope it helps someone.

Thanks

Last edited:

jgraham4598

Mar 27, 2008
canton
Ddaaaaammmnnnn......I really wish I would have seen this earlier. Blew my phone up just to get it working again. Thanks for the info. I will know what to do next time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

hobby31

Feb 14, 2010
Sorry, left out a step. After returning to recovery and finding data unmounted, I can then wipe data, system, and cache. I believe data is again mounted so go to advanced and reboot recovery again, go to mounts and storage and make sure everything is unmounted then restore your nandroid or install a new ROM.

I'm using CWM touch by the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda app-developers app

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
If you have adb access when in recovery, see if you can run the following and have /data unmount
Code:
umount -l /data
You'll need to be root, and if you're already in the mounts and storage screen, you'll need to go back one, and then select mounts and storage again for it to refresh. Could be something is still being accessed when it attempts to unmount /data causing the issues.

hobby31

Feb 14, 2010
If you have adb access when in recovery, see if you can run the following and have /data unmount
Code:
umount -l /data
You'll need to be root, and if you're already in the mounts and storage screen, you'll need to go back one, and then select mounts and storage again for it to refresh. Could be something is still being accessed when it attempts to unmount /data causing the issues.

I've finally got Vicious v3 set up to the way I like. I'll try that next time. Maybe somebody else will see this post and try it if they are stuck.

It's strange, I've flashed many ROMs in CWM touch with ICS with no issues. I saw one post where someone believed it had to do with a new "storage" folder that is created in JB. If you use a file explorer you'll see a "storage" folder and inside it it is linked to the sdcard.

Should cache be mounted when I first boot into recovery? I've never noticed that before but I haven't had a need to check until now.

Thanks for your response.

forgiventhief

Apr 20, 2011
guide based on your post

I was one of the ones with problems with trying to restore nandroids and wiping data. I got stuck going from vicious JB v1 to V2 then back to v1. Somehow, after attempting to restore numerous nandroids of ICS and my nandroid of V1 I somehow got it to boot.

Now, I've noticed that whenever I boot into recovery if I go to "mounts and storage" I see cache is mounted. I can unmount it and make a nandroid. Then if I go back to "mounts and storage" I see data is mounted and wont unmount so when trying to restore a nandroid it hangs at the data part.

Once in recovery, I go to mounts and storage and unmount cache. Make a nandroid. Go back to mounts and storage and see data is mounted and won't unmount. I then go to "advanced" and select reboot recovery. Once it reboots into recovery I go back to mounts and storage and see that data is unmounted. I then can restore a nandroid. I've done this successfully going from vicious v3 to BAMF v2 then back to vicous v3.

Thanks

Based on your post and some testing, I made a guide for people... kind of a step by step thing. Let me know if this captures the jist of your experience. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1749322

sd0070

Dec 20, 2010
Thanks I was totally baffled yesterday when I did a full wipe and reflashed the rom only to find that my phone booted normally and all my apps and data were there. Whats the deal with getting stuck on the google screen though? Does it just take a long time? I needed my phone for work last night and couldnt wait, which is why I tried flashing a nandroid...

forgiventhief

Apr 20, 2011
Step by Step

How to restore a Nandroid or flash new ROM with CWM Touch
In CWM Touch Recovery
1. Go to mounts and storage and unmount cache.
2. Make a nandroid. (Going back to mounts and storage, you will see data is mounted and will not unmount.)
3. Go to "advanced" and select reboot recovery.
4. Once phone reboots into recovery, go back to mounts and storage and see that data is unmounted. You may now wipe data, system, and cache.
5. You may now restore a nandroid or flash a new rom.

If this helped you, hit thanks. Also, thank hobby31.

hanfeitzu02

May 31, 2008
Confirmed working going from vicious v1, back to a 4.04 nandroid.

richiewrt

Oct 12, 2010
I have been having a similar issue

I have tried several of the JB roms, and haven't found one that will let me reboot the phone. Every one get to the google screen and never past, and I ended up having to flash the stock rom before I can get anywhere. Anyone else having this issue or found a fix?

hobby31

Feb 14, 2010
I have tried several of the JB roms, and haven't found one that will let me reboot the phone. Every one get to the google screen and never past, and I ended up having to flash the stock rom before I can get anywhere. Anyone else having this issue or found a fix?

If it is what was happening to me and a few others it has something to do with the data not unmounting in CWM. I went through all the boot looping, stuck on the google screen, battery pulls and pulling my hair out. After some digging I noticed that data would not unmount in CWM so when I rebooted I quess it would hang somewhere while trying to load data. Essentially, when I was wiping data in CWM it looked like it was doing something but really wasn't.

My fix is what is in this post. Basically, going to "advanced" in CWM and "reboot recovery" usually unmounts the data then you can wipe it. Then reboot recovery again as it seems to get stuck mounted again after wiping. Then reboot the phone after making sure nothing is mounting in "Mounts and storage".

shiznu

Feb 20, 2012

Thanks

Had a similar issue but my system was not mounted, remount system and I could restore nandroid.

Mikedick

Jun 9, 2010
Don't use touch cwm; use normal cwm

Sent from my i9250

Not necessarily. I have tried both TWRP and CWM, and even CWM normal, and I am still screwed. Everytime I try to restore, I get an error restoring /data. Looks like I may be going back to stock.... This whole JB thing has made my Nexus feel like a Droid Bionic! :crying:

EDIT: Used the Gnex Toolkit, got back to stock, rooted and recovery installed and right back to AOKP 40. I think I will wait until this gets ironed out. Bit more work than I would like to crack flash. :laugh:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks
    Code:
    umount -l /data
    Step by Step

How to restore a Nandroid or flash new ROM with CWM Touch
    In CWM Touch Recovery
    1. Go to mounts and storage and unmount cache.
    2. Make a nandroid. (Going back to mounts and storage, you will see data is mounted and will not unmount.)
    3. Go to "advanced" and select reboot recovery.
    4. Once phone reboots into recovery, go back to mounts and storage and see that data is unmounted. You may now wipe data, system, and cache.
    5. You may now restore a nandroid or flash a new rom.

If this helped you, hit thanks. Also, thank hobby31.
    Don't use touch cwm; use normal cwm

Sent from my i9250