OTA Update

Search This thread

CrazeXDA

May 2, 2013
Davao City
Hello guys, i rooted my device like 3 months ago and i felt like it really disabled my OTA update. Whenever i checked for such, it always says my system is the latest version. My question is, HOW DO I KNOW IF MY OTA UPDATE IS STILL WORKING OR NOT? I've searched for answers for like days. I think maybe its time to ask for answers here. :)

Your replies are well appreciated. Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Sent from my Lenovo A516 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

elanimal1234

Sep 3, 2013
ota is for stock only

Hello guys, i rooted my device like 3 months ago and i felt like it really disabled my OTA update. Whenever i checked for such, it always says my system is the latest version. My question is, HOW DO I KNOW IF MY OTA UPDATE IS STILL WORKING OR NOT? I've searched for answers for like days. I think maybe its time to ask for answers here. :)

if you've just got a rooted stock then when you do ota you lose root access, if you got a custom rom forget about ota altogether, rooted users are supposed to update their firmware/rom manually through custom recovery or flashing software(such as odin) always keep a couple backups around, be it nandroid or titanium bakups, now there are some apps out there that say they'll let you keep root after ota but i do not know how well they work, if you've just got a rooted stock, go back to stock, update to latest version, enable usb debugging, and use kingo on your pc(google it) for hassle free 2 second rooting process that works on just about any android device, and wouldnt take mor ethan 2 seconds to do again if you lose root after OTA next time :)

pinkLeviosa

May 5, 2014

no you cant have a OTA update because youre running a custom rom.. mostly only stock rom and kernels can run OTA.
pls. take time to read this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603064

CrazeXDA

May 2, 2013
Davao City
if you've just got a rooted stock then when you do ota you lose root access, if you got a custom rom forget about ota altogether, rooted users are supposed to update their firmware/rom manually through custom recovery or flashing software(such as odin) always keep a couple backups around, be it nandroid or titanium bakups, now there are some apps out there that say they'll let you keep root after ota but i do not know how well they work, if you've just got a rooted stock, go back to stock, update to latest version, enable usb debugging, and use kingo on your pc(google it) for hassle free 2 second rooting process that works on just about any android device, and wouldnt take mor ethan 2 seconds to do again if you lose root after OTA next time :)

Thats specifically my problem. I dont know if i can still update to latest version now. I updated this to latest version before i rooted it. I've waited for like a week for a new update but then theres none, so there i was, i rooted my device. I wanna know if i can still update to latest version even though im rooted now.

elanimal1234

Sep 3, 2013
when you're not sure, back up and start all over :D

Thats specifically my problem. I dont know if i can still update to latest version now. I updated this to latest version before i rooted it. I've waited for like a week for a new update but then theres none, so there i was, i rooted my device. I wanna know if i can still update to latest version even though im rooted now.

well if you just rooted, no custom rom, then the software that handles OTA must still be there, however, depending the method you used, the OTA might not work anymore or even be disabled on purpose so that you do not lose root upon update, simply, backup, flash back to a regular stock, then use kingo, then do an OTA after root to check if it works, then once you're certain your phone works fine and has OTA, restore your apps, data, contacts, and settings from your backup(make sure you backed all those up of course) as well as your sdcard and/or internal memory files, back those up too since depending on what flashing software you use or how you **** up(it's normal we all do it :)) you may delete its contents, and there you should have a rooted stock phone that has OTA and you can root back after rly quick and easy..... :D