[Q] Music file recovery - phone in boot loop

Search This thread

GenerousDad

Jan 25, 2014
Please help a noob dad with a distraught teenage son who is not as tech savvy as his peers, or his noob dad.

Son and I both have absolutely stock TMo HTC Ones. Mine is fine.

His had all his music on it, and his music was not backed up. (His laptop's hard drive crashed just two weeks ago and he had not gotten around to restoring his music yet. He is not having a good month with tech.)

His phone without warning entered a boot loop. It restarted itself, reached the bootloader/simply brilliant splash page, reached the T Mobile LTE splash page, reached the HTC One Beats Audio splash page, dimmed a bit, went blank, and then restarted the boot sequence. This goes on infinitum, and even after we let the phone battery run down to zero, recharged and started it again.

We can enter the bootloader by pressing volume down and the power key at the point where the screen goes blank after the HTC One Beats Audio splash, and from there we can go to recovery or into fastboot. When in fastboot, the phone can be connected to a computer, where it shows up as an "unspecified" device called Android 1.0. This device does not show up as a storage device - so we don't see the files. It has a driver called MyHTC. The phone screen shows FASTBOOT USB in red, but running adb with the command adb devices doesn't show anything in the device list.

As I said, the phone is absolutely stock - that means it is locked, and never was unlocked. And I understand that unlocking the bootloader to install a custom recovery would wipe the data files, thus defeating the purpose of the exercise.

We won't mind trying a factory reset, or even trying to root the phone, if we can first get to the music and save it. Is there some way to save it?

Now, mind you, two days ago terms like adb, bootloader, Android SDK, custom recovery, etc., were completely foreign to me. These are things I have picked up trying to solve the problem with Google and personal grit. So please bear that in mind when answering.

Is there some way to access the data files on this phone from the bootloader screen or from the recovery screen? If the phone can't be booted up and the phone can't be unlocked without being wiped clean, it seems my son is going to be spending a lot of time and money recreating his music library. Is this true? Have we finally found a situation that Dad can't rescue his offspring from?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

lampel

Aug 28, 2007
Connecticut
Please help a noob dad with a distraught teenage son who is not as tech savvy as his peers, or his noob dad.

Son and I both have absolutely stock TMo HTC Ones. Mine is fine.

His had all his music on it, and his music was not backed up. (His laptop's hard drive crashed just two weeks ago and he had not gotten around to restoring his music yet. He is not having a good month with tech.)

His phone without warning entered a boot loop. It restarted itself, reached the bootloader/simply brilliant splash page, reached the T Mobile LTE splash page, reached the HTC One Beats Audio splash page, dimmed a bit, went blank, and then restarted the boot sequence. This goes on infinitum, and even after we let the phone battery run down to zero, recharged and started it again.

We can enter the bootloader by pressing volume down and the power key at the point where the screen goes blank after the HTC One Beats Audio splash, and from there we can go to recovery or into fastboot. When in fastboot, the phone can be connected to a computer, where it shows up as an "unspecified" device called Android 1.0. This device does not show up as a storage device - so we don't see the files. It has a driver called MyHTC. The phone screen shows FASTBOOT USB in red, but running adb with the command adb devices doesn't show anything in the device list.

As I said, the phone is absolutely stock - that means it is locked, and never was unlocked. And I understand that unlocking the bootloader to install a custom recovery would wipe the data files, thus defeating the purpose of the exercise.

We won't mind trying a factory reset, or even trying to root the phone, if we can first get to the music and save it. Is there some way to save it?

Now, mind you, two days ago terms like adb, bootloader, Android SDK, custom recovery, etc., were completely foreign to me. These are things I have picked up trying to solve the problem with Google and personal grit. So please bear that in mind when answering.

Is there some way to access the data files on this phone from the bootloader screen or from the recovery screen? If the phone can't be booted up and the phone can't be unlocked without being wiped clean, it seems my son is going to be spending a lot of time and money recreating his music library. Is this true? Have we finally found a situation that Dad can't rescue his offspring from?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Very well written question... I'd start with a Fastboot command (entered while the phone is connected to pc and phone screen shows fastboot usb) 'fastboot erase cache.' It will return success, failure, or waiting for device. If it returns success enter 'fastboot reboot.' There is a small possibility this will allow his phone to boot normally.

You are correct that unlocking the boatloader erases the phone although there may be alternative if s-off is possible while the bootloader is locked - anyone? And ADB commands only work when the phone is booted into android or recovery not fastboot. And I have no experience with stock recovery but it might be possible to wipe cache there too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

GenerousDad

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks very much for the reply.

I tried the command 'fastboot erase cache' and it replied with "******* Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?"
Then, without waiting for an answer to that question, it proceeded - it said "erasing cache" and then "OK [0.575s]" and then "finished. Total time 0.575s."

I interpreted that as success, so I proceeded to enter the command "fastboot reboot." The phone rebooted - into the same boot loop I described earlier.

If you (or anyone) thinks that adb will help, I CAN get the phone into recovery mode as well. The phone allows me the option to wipe the cache partition from there (which I did), but a friend of mine (actually, my ophthalmologist as well) suggested I wipe the dalvik cache. Not only do I not know what a dalvik cache is, but I don't see any option for it on the HTC One recovery menu. I also don't know whether wiping the cache partition from the recovery menu is any different than what I did with the fastboot command - but in either event neither one eliminated the boot loop.

Any more ideas for either getting the phone to boot or saving the music so we can factory reset and then restore the music would be appreciated!

PhoenixPath

The only abd access he'll have at this point is for sideloading (Does the stock recovery even do sideload?), which if I am not mistaken, allows only a small subset of abd access (not enough to do the backup).

Would be so much easier if the handset was unlocked. A custom recovery would go a long way to recovering any data from the device... I've never had a device I didn't unlock right away so I'm afraid I can't help much beyond giving my doubts regarding the adb solution... :(

GenerousDad

Jan 25, 2014
The only abd access he'll have at this point is for sideloading (Does the stock recovery even do sideload?), which if I am not mistaken, allows only a small subset of abd access (not enough to do the backup).

Would be so much easier if the handset was unlocked. A custom recovery would go a long way to recovering any data from the device... I've never had a device I didn't unlock right away so I'm afraid I can't help much beyond giving my doubts regarding the adb solution... :(

PhoenixPath, I'm afraid, was right, and we ended up doing a factory reset. My son restored the phone's contents as best he could, making sure to back up this time, and then powered off, but when powering back on the PIN unlock keyboard doesn't come up.

Sigh.

Any ideas? I'll post another thread on this...

Thanks to all who offered ideas.

holmesnmanny

Jan 1, 2010
Did you even try to do what I said or did you just assume I was wrong in full ?

I guess if you're not really interesting in ideas I guess you'll just choose altogether not to try some.