MJ7 to NC5 and Root?

Search This thread
Okay so I have been looking around a bit and want to make sure I fully understand what I am doing before I do it. I am currently on MJ7, rooted, and running Safestrap with Hyperdrive 15. I want to remove Safestrap, upgrade MJ7 to NC5, re-root using Towelroot, and reinstall Safestrap. Can I do this by simply taking the OTA for NC5, or will that not work because I am rooted? Or should I Odin the NC5 firmware by getting it from the Sam Mobile site. Or am I completely out of line and can't do any of that because its not possible to gain root on stock NC5. Any help would be great, I just want to know if my thinking is correct. Thanks.

Just use Odin to upgrade then you can use towelroot, it works for nc5.

So there is no need to remove safestrap or rom slot 1 or anything like that? Just Odin the tar.md5 using AP mode? I thought is was best to remove safestrap and all rom slots and then do a wipe before flashing with Odin. Is that total not needed. At least I now understand I can towelroot NC5, that's a good thing. Just want to ensure I am not going to cause any issues with the flash process. Thanks.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
So there is no need to remove safestrap or rom slot 1 or anything like that? Just Odin the tar.md5 using AP mode? I thought is was best to remove safestrap and all rom slots and then do a wipe before flashing with Odin. Is that total not needed. At least I now understand I can towelroot NC5, that's a good thing. Just want to ensure I am not going to cause any issues with the flash process. Thanks.
Well that depends on what file you use. If you want to keep your user/app data then you'll have to do all that and flash the no wipe image. Or if you don't care about that data you can use the full wipe image and not worry about any of that.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Here's the link for the tar images BTW: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172

I find SamMobile's servers to be super slow sometimes.

Well that depends on what file you use. If you want to keep your user/app data then you'll have to do all that and flash the no wipe image. Or if you don't care about that data you can use the full wipe image and not worry about any of that.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Here's the link for the tar images BTW: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735172

I think I'll do a clean wipe. I have all my apps+data backed up with TiBu so no worries there. Thanks for the download link. I used one from GalaxyS4Root but it didn't have an md5 check so I never feel comfortable with that. I will download the one in the link you provided and go from there. Thanks.

Reactions: joshm.1219
Verizon S4 NC tryng toload safesrap

I have a question along these lines also. I rooted my galaxy s4 with towlroot and installed titanium backup and superuserSU. In may the software was updated automatically to NC by verizon. I was able to load sfestrap, forgot the verson, 7.0 or 7.1 I think but it would not work. It wanted 4 or 5 gigs to do anything. I deleted safestrap and enough programs that there are 6 gigs open now.All I want to do if make a complete backup in case of serious crash.
When I try to open Safestrap 7.1 now to unstall I get a 'parsing error' notice. Dont know what that means.
Thanks for any help.

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014
I have a question along these lines also. I rooted my galaxy s4 with towlroot and installed titanium backup and superuserSU. In may the software was updated automatically to NC by verizon. I was able to load sfestrap, forgot the verson, 7.0 or 7.1 I think but it would not work. It wanted 4 or 5 gigs to do anything. I deleted safestrap and enough programs that there are 6 gigs open now.All I want to do if make a complete backup in case of serious crash.
When I try to open Safestrap 7.1 now to unstall I get a 'parsing error' notice. Dont know what that means.
Thanks for any help.

You want version 3.72 found here http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/downloads/safestrap/ The only time SS has ever required that much memory when I have used it is when creating a new ROM slot, which you do not need to do if you are only trying to make a backup. You will also need Busybox from the play store before you are able to install recovery via Safestrap

Sent from my rooted Verizon Galaxy S4 with Hyperdrive ROM using XDA Free Mobile App

Thanks for any help.

I just completed this process a few moments ago. Everything worked perfectly and I am running Safestrap 3.72, I think you meant to say 3.70 or 3.71. I first downloaded the files mentioned above by josh, then just for good measure I deleted my rom slot 1 and Safestrap from MJ7, then I entered download mode and used Odin to flash the tar.md5 in AP and PIT file in PIT. Once that was complete I Towelrooted, installed SuperSU, and installed Safestrap 3.72. There is a slight trick to installing Safestrap and that is to change SE Linux to Permissive vice Enforcing. Here is a link from RootJunky that should help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLHZfPwLkPM. I then went into Safestrap and made a backup of my Stock NC5 ROM. After that I installed Hyperdrive RLS17.1 using Safestrap. There is a trick with that as well. It can only be installed to the stock slot right now, which is normally a no no, but right now it has to be done that way. Everything worked perfectly. I do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before doing any of this and it has always rewarded me with successful flashes. Hopefully this might help you or others.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I think I'll do a clean wipe. I have all my apps+data backed up with TiBu so no worries there. Thanks for the download link. I used one from GalaxyS4Root but it didn't have an md5 check so I never feel comfortable with that. I will download the one in the link you provided and go from there. Thanks.