Nexus 7 with 4.2 - Bluetooth issues

Search This thread

MysteriousDiary

Dec 15, 2010
Can anyone with a N7 and 4.2 confirm my issue?

I'm using the N7 everday to stream music from TuneIn, Google Music and Spotify to stream to my Bluetooth speakers. I never had issues with Android 4.1, but since 4.2 it's stuttering every few seconds. Especially when the content gets streamed over wifi and is not stored on the N7. To go sure that it's not just my wifi I tried it with my GNex and 4.1 and there I don't have this issue.

Reactions: robyr

robyr

Dec 21, 2007

I'm using the N7 everday to stream music from TuneIn, Google Music and Spotify to stream to my Bluetooth speakers. I never had issues with Android 4.1, but since 4.2 it's stuttering every few seconds. Especially when the content gets streamed over wifi and is not stored on the N7. To go sure that it's not just my wifi I tried it with my GNex and 4.1 and there I don't have this issue.

Yes, I believe all Nexus 7's will be affected, too. Check out this Google Code bugreport:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633

I am highly disappointed in Google for this. This is a HUGE use-case for me, and it has essentially made my $150 headphones worthless, as well as essentially ruined my use of the Nexus 7 in public, as I cannot listen to music/videos at a public shop/location with the BT headset/headphones that I always have with me. Wired headphones? Ick.

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
Yes, I've created that issue in the bug tracker. Please star it if you've the same issue. I'm now thinking of going back to 4.1 since I used this feature daily.

I did star it, haha. Small world, I suppose. Did you see this too: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632

Very similar to what happens on my N7 on the odd few seconds I have uninterrupted BT audio output. WTF does Google keep doing with their BT stack? This is ridiculous. It is affected BOTH of their flagship devices. I will all but guarantee that the N4 is affected too.

MysteriousDiary

Dec 15, 2010
I can confirm the bluetooth tethering issue as well. Sound is stuttering and tethering over bluetooth is impossible. So now we've two big bluetooth issues :/

mrchiggles

Aug 5, 2008
I have the same issue. What's weird is that it's fine when playing through my creative bluetooth speakers in my kitchen but affects my philips fidelo bluetooth speakers in my bedroom!

Reactions: Nate2

roonster

Sep 7, 2010
I can confirm the bluetooth tethering issue as well. Sound is stuttering and tethering over bluetooth is impossible. So now we've two big bluetooth issues :/

Have you checked "connect to device for internet access"?
I'm having no issues tethering to my HTC desire since upgrading to 4.2, but I did notice that i have to check this box every time that I connect via Bluetooth now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Franktdf

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
I just tested BT tethering to my Galaxy Note, all is well there too. The audio problems are not acceptable, though. I am not happy at all.

MysteriousDiary

Dec 15, 2010
I have the same issue. What's weird is that it's fine when playing through my creative bluetooth speakers in my kitchen but affects my philips fidelo bluetooth speakers in my bedroom!

I have a Creative D3X and got the issue since 4.2 :/

I'm having no issues tethering to my HTC desire since upgrading to 4.2, but I did notice that i have to check this box every time that I connect via Bluetooth now.Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I can't even activate that flag. It's there, but nothinig happens when I try to check it.

smurfster

Aug 3, 2006
I'm having no issues tethering to my HTC desire since upgrading to 4.2, but I did notice that i have to check this box every time that I connect via Bluetooth now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Worked for me, thankyou.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
Yes, I believe all Nexus 7's will be affected, too. Check out this Google Code bugreport:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633

I am highly disappointed in Google for this. This is a HUGE use-case for me, and it has essentially made my $150 headphones worthless, as well as essentially ruined my use of the Nexus 7 in public, as I cannot listen to music/videos at a public shop/location with the BT headset/headphones that I always have with me. Wired headphones? Ick.

Working ok here to Creative D200 speakers.

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
Working ok here to Creative D200 speakers.

Are you playing music you have locally loaded on the device? This issue is most prevalent with streaming audio such as Pandora, and streaming videos like YouTube. I have tried: A set of Motorola SF600 headphones, Belkin B51 Audio Bridge, and a Plantronics M155, so I doubt it is an audio-sink specific issue.

mrchiggles

Aug 5, 2008
Are you playing music you have locally loaded on the device? This issue is most prevalent with streaming audio such as Pandora, and streaming videos like YouTube. I have tried: A set of Motorola SF600 headphones, Belkin B51 Audio Bridge, and a Plantronics M155, so I doubt it is an audio-sink specific issue.

I have D200s too which are working fine for amazon cloud streaming. My fidelo dock using the same cloud streaming is breaking up so does seem to affect different devices. Maybe they only tested it on creative speakers!

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
I have D200s too which are working fine for amazon cloud streaming. My fidelo dock using the same cloud streaming is breaking up so does seem to affect different devices. Maybe they only tested it on creative speakers!

It may be a 2.1 vs 3.0 issue? **** at this point I am just sick and tired of doing Google's own testing for them. This is a disgrace.

RaySorian

Jul 7, 2010
Houston
I am testing this right now.

I am able to get audio from Audible book loaded on N7 to my Plantronic M1100, no problems. Headset is 2.1 EDR
Also, I have just paired my N7 with my work Lenovo X230 Laptop (Win 7) via BT, Audio is being played through with no issue and on screen controls on laptop are working. Laptop has a 4.0 chip built in.

Edit: Just installed Tunein radio, working on BT Headset and laptop still.

Last edited:

MysteriousDiary

Dec 15, 2010
My speaker system is using Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. Flashed the full factory image to go sure that it wasn't caused by the update procedure ... still the same problem. It's stuttering every 2-3 seconds.

TheFluffyOne

Oct 31, 2009
Just gave it a go with Sony DR-BT21G headphones. Play Music and YouTube both worked without problem. These headphones are only BT2.0, for what it's worth. My Nexus was stock 4.1.2 and did OTA to 4.2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, I've created that issue in the bug tracker. Please star it if you've the same issue. I'm now thinking of going back to 4.1 since I used this feature daily.
    Google is aware of this and it should be fixed in 4.2.2.
    What is working for me so far with limited testing:
    Unpair Bluetooth speaker
    Pair speaker again
    Clear Cache only in Bluetooth Share app (Settings/Apps/All/Bluetooth Share/Clear Cache)
    I am guessing that unpairing then repairing is what helped but I did the cache clear at the same time so I don't know if that step is needed but easy to do anyway.
    I have a stock unrooted Nexus 7 with Android 4.2.1 and a Monster Clarity HD speaker.