[fix][cm10.1.3.2]sluggish system and the 'ghost' of gapps

Search This thread

therkr

Mar 2, 2011
Today I tried flashing CM 10.1.3.2 stable over some old Cm10 nightly (emmc).
So I reboot into CWm and "wipe data and factory reset" before flashing the rom.

POST FLASHING
First boot took a long while as usual but the nook was very sluggish even after booting.
Also ,astonishingly, I had GAPPS(!) installed on this ROM even though I precisely remember not having flashed the gapps package in CWM.

I double checked the md5 hash and re-flashed the ROM but to no avail. Still same issues.

THE SOLUTION
Flummoxed I started searching if Google had suddenly started allowing CM to include gapps with the ROM. No luck there.
Then I saw eyeballer's comment here. Worked like a charm.
So basically, when in doubt, format /system

Post formatting /system and another fresh install things go back to normal. No ghost of gapps. No extra sluggishness. All cool. :good:

Now, this solution worked for me and hence I'd recommend it to anyone in a fix but I can't seem to be able to find a specific reasong for such behavior apart from a broken zip.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the tip!

I was having a similar issue flashing new versions and thought it was my building from source causing ithe ssue

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Now, this solution worked for me and hence I'd recommend it to anyone in a fix but I can't seem to be able to find a specific reason for such behavior apart from a broken zip.

Cheers!
The reason gapps stays if you installed it earlier is because the ROM zip installer script has a routine built in to save previously installed gapps if you are flashing the same ROM that is just an update. It does that so you do not have to flash gapps again after a ROM update. The only way to get rid of them is to manually format /system with CWM before flashing the update.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today I tried flashing CM 10.1.3.2 stable over some old Cm10 nightly (emmc).
    So I reboot into CWm and "wipe data and factory reset" before flashing the rom.

POST FLASHING
    First boot took a long while as usual but the nook was very sluggish even after booting.
    Also ,astonishingly, I had GAPPS(!) installed on this ROM even though I precisely remember not having flashed the gapps package in CWM.

I double checked the md5 hash and re-flashed the ROM but to no avail. Still same issues.

THE SOLUTION
    Flummoxed I started searching if Google had suddenly started allowing CM to include gapps with the ROM. No luck there.
    Then I saw eyeballer's comment here. Worked like a charm.
    So basically, when in doubt, format /system

Post formatting /system and another fresh install things go back to normal. No ghost of gapps. No extra sluggishness. All cool. :good:

Now, this solution worked for me and hence I'd recommend it to anyone in a fix but I can't seem to be able to find a specific reasong for such behavior apart from a broken zip.

Cheers!