[Q] anybody else having 4g connection issues?

Search This thread

rideforlife7

Jul 31, 2014
phoenix
About 3 weeks ago after installing the update of liquidsmooth 4.4.4 i randomly started dropping to 3g service in places that i normally had full 4g available. It has slowly gotten worse to where if im not on wifi, than the phone is pretty much useless. i normally have full coverage everywhere. so i originally thought that maybe something had gotten messed up on the update, so i did a clean install of liquidsmooth 4.4, and blackbird kernal and same thing still occurred. also tried carbon rom and slimrom, and no luck. so for the fun of it, i went ahead and reflashed the phone back to stock from backups and rerooted it, updated the modems and reinstalled liquidsmooth w/ blackbird kernal, and same thing. i have went through all the mobile networks settings and tried everything and nothing seems to help, idk if that update screwed something up or if its an issue that others have been experiencing as well, or if im just screwed and my phone phone is dying.... any help is appreciated thanks

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
About 3 weeks ago after installing the update of liquidsmooth 4.4.4 i randomly started dropping to 3g service in places that i normally had full 4g available. It has slowly gotten worse to where if im not on wifi, than the phone is pretty much useless. i normally have full coverage everywhere. so i originally thought that maybe something had gotten messed up on the update, so i did a clean install of liquidsmooth 4.4, and blackbird kernal and same thing still occurred. also tried carbon rom and slimrom, and no luck. so for the fun of it, i went ahead and reflashed the phone back to stock from backups and rerooted it, updated the modems and reinstalled liquidsmooth w/ blackbird kernal, and same thing. i have went through all the mobile networks settings and tried everything and nothing seems to help, idk if that update screwed something up or if its an issue that others have been experiencing as well, or if im just screwed and my phone phone is dying.... any help is appreciated thanks

I'm currently running OmniToad, and ran CM 11M8 for a short while. On T-Mobile at least, with the custom ROMs it's normal to see H+ only when data is being transferred; it will drop back to 3G otherwise. When I ran the stock ROM on the Relay, it would always say "4G" regardless of whether it was in UMTS (3G) or HSPA+ mode. Apps like SignalCheck or CellMapper will tell you which mode it is really in.

On the other hand, if data transmission is only going through as 3G, it could be a phone issue or a tower issue. Is LTE available in your area, or are they just getting it set up? I know when T-Mobile was upgrading the Chicago area to provide LTE, there were a few glitches here and there.

It was stupid for T-Mobile to brand HSPA+ as "4G" but that's a different rant.

rideforlife7

Jul 31, 2014
phoenix
I'm currently running OmniToad, and ran CM 11M8 for a short while. On T-Mobile at least, with the custom ROMs it's normal to see H+ only when data is being transferred; it will drop back to 3G otherwise. When I ran the stock ROM on the Relay, it would always say "4G" regardless of whether it was in UMTS (3G) or HSPA+ mode. Apps like SignalCheck or CellMapper will tell you which mode it is really in.

On the other hand, if data transmission is only going through as 3G, it could be a phone issue or a tower issue. Is LTE available in your area, or are they just getting it set up? I know when T-Mobile was upgrading the Chicago area to provide LTE, there were a few glitches here and there.

It was stupid for T-Mobile to brand HSPA+ as "4G" but that's a different rant.

yea LTE has been in this area for quite a while now, i had it with my S4 and it worked perfectly, i never had a problem with the service on the relay either up untill a few weeks ago the internet speed and and data coverage was great, not quite as fast as the LTE on my S4 but it was still more than adequate, i used to use the hotspot and stream netflix on my laptop. now i can usually get a text to send but calls usually fail and if i try and use the internet its impossible. it almost seems like its doing the exact opposite of what it should be doing, as soon as i try and use anything (not while connected to wifi) than it drops coverage to 3g/edge/ or to nothing at all. Im leaning towards the hardware failing side, but i figured i might as well give it a shot and post it and see if maybe i wasnt alone. thank you for your reply.

small note of background on me: first time posting ever in this forum but have been using the tools and roms from it for a long time, so im not a complete noob, but i definitely still have a lot to learn.