How to root your HTC One S (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Search This thread

jammysunny

Feb 13, 2009
Karlsruhe
I replied my problem one week ago....the same to me, doing a reboot, it stays on white screen with some warnings like "this is only experimental....", so I must back to bootloader to do a superboot again to have a fully functional S...
My problem was, that I did this mistake, to use superboot from One X.....but aul told me to solve this problem....before solving it, I donnt wanna risk recovery or something else....

Komadyret

Aug 7, 2010
Unlocked and rooted.
Thanks a lot Paul.

Biggest challenge in this was to get the phone to bootloader-mode. Had to try 8-10 times both for the unlock and the rooting before successful :eek:

Now I'm ready to set up my phone as i like it :D

jammysunny

Feb 13, 2009
Karlsruhe
Hi Paul, should I unroot my Device and flash stockrom to kill this worst effect?
And how can I flash stockroom? Must I Relock Bootloader before or shall I let it unlocked?

cliff0796

Mar 31, 2012
Manchester
How do you backup a recovery, Mine say that my recovery is CWM 5.8.2.3, when I flash this and then go to bootloader then recovery the phone just restarts, I have no nandroid backup.

Bxrxyxaxn

Apr 1, 2010
Thanx gonna try asap

did the toolkit step by step...got token id nd it did the rest on its own, flashed recovery then flashed this...thanx got it now !!

Last edited:

nickmv

Jan 12, 2011
Memphis
Paul, I followed your guide, followed the link to r3 superboot and got the following results:

first SU flash attempt -- didnt do anything, said downloading boot, booting, and nothing was different. No root

SECOND flash attempt - said downloading boot, booting, but this time, the HTC boot screen gave me some warning about development mode, and when I was done booting, I had root.

I also now have "tampered" in my bootloader. Did I miss something here? I've got root, but I'm curious about the tampered AND the message about dev mode.

maurito661

Apr 6, 2010
:( im trying to do it but doesnt show anything i did the unlock already but doesnt doanything when i double click the file help :(

Flow-Wolf

Hello! I have some troubles :/

I have done every thing but I can't access to recovery :/

I have write tempered on my bootloader screen but When I try to go to recovery my phone just reboot.

Fastboot is uncheck and Debugging mode activate :/

Thanks for your help

unk2009

Jul 22, 2009
New York(Hudson Valley)
Thanx gonna try asap

did the toolkit step by step...got token id nd it did the rest on its own, flashed recovery then flashed this...thanx got it now !!

I was reading your post and wanted to know what you did for #5 (it states "place unlock code bin in the Data folder in this program" my question to you is, what data folder, I hope that it's not right in front of me...Thank you in advance for your help, it is much appreciated

OMG, it was so self explanatory...I found it...lol
I'm going to try it over from the begining(Is that possible ?)

Last edited:

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Hello! I have some troubles :/

I have done every thing but I can't access to recovery :/

I have write tempered on my bootloader screen but When I try to go to recovery my phone just reboot.

Fastboot is uncheck and Debugging mode activate :/

Thanks for your help

I have the same problem here...Cant access Recovery

SOLVED: DONT USE Official CWM of koush (HTC One S) < BOTH DONT WORK FOR ME, PAULS WORKS FINE

Last edited:

dell4320

Feb 28, 2011
I am holding one s t-mobile in my hand ready to follow this thread, all what i need is to have a permanent tethering wired and wireless, but i have one burning question:

The original thread talks about rooting not being permanent (not sure I understand the extent of that statement), would my tethering still be working after rebooting the phone?

I am not looking to modify anything else in the phone besides been able to permanently tethered.

dc211

Jul 21, 2010
I am holding one s t-mobile in my hand ready to follow this thread, all what i need is to have a permanent tethering wired and wireless, but i have one burning question:

The original thread talks about rooting not being permanent (not sure I understand the extent of that statement), would my tethering still be working after rebooting the phone?

I am not looking to modify anything else in the phone besides been able to permanently tethered.

Yes if you use this your phone will be permanently rooted and you'll tethering will work after your phone is rebooted.

Tabtoub

Aug 3, 2011
Tunis
My htc one s in simlocked to bouygues telecom france, is this method unlocks the sim or not? If no, what should I do to unlock it?

Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

You will need to htcdev bootloader unlock your device to use this root solution.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash' but it IS a permanent root in all other regards!).

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then pressing the power button again to enter fastboot.
    - WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, details on how to donate should you wish to do so are in the download topic at MoDaCo.
    There is no official rooting method, just official bootloader unlock.
    Rooting is what you do afterwards.
    And it just refers to being able to su to root. For this 'fastboot flash' is not necessary if the needed files are copied by a 'fastboot boot'ed image.

You could alter the ramdisk in order to create an insecure boot.img though and that needs to be flashed...

Sent from my HTC One S
    just to let everyone know, it worked on my TMO USA version flawlessly.

still have yet to flash CWM till i hear someone has got it going with no issues.
    I also used this successfully with the T-Mobile One S. Much like the previous poster, it took two attempts to get it to stick. I also turned on "Unknown Sources" before the second attempt, but cannot verify whether or not that made a difference or was merely coincidence. Either way, T-Mo users should be safe with this tool. Thanks Paul.
    Well if you're unlocked already it's actually fairly simple.
    Grab a recovery from the forums (preferably TWRP, CWM has too many issues and not enough features that actually work - no usb storage mount for instance) and fastboot flash that.
    Afterwards get a SuperSU.zip from chainfire and flash that with the recovery. Then you have root.

There isn't really a "permanent root" on the one s. If you change to any custom ROM it will have root integrated but it will also overwrite the root from your previous ROM. SuperSU is part of the system and cannot be kept separately.

Sorry but I don't have the links available right now so you might want to go search for TWRP and SuperSU yourself. ;)

Sent from a phone