[Q] Device type not shown in status 7 installation error for custom ROM

Search This thread

anitallica

Apr 9, 2014
I am trying to install a custom ROM for my i9100 Galaxy S2, since I wanted to update to KitKat 4.4.2. I currently have the official 4.1.2 android on it.

I am using ROM Manager and current recovery is set to CWM 4.0.1.5. The device is rooted.

I am trying with 2 different packages:
cm-11-20140405-SNAPSHOT-M5-i9100.zip
SuperNexus-4.0-i9100g-BUILD1.zip

First I tried the Nexus one but that's for GT-I9100G so I thought that's the issue. But in the CM-11 one the updater-script clearly checks for the correct ID:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "galaxys2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "galaxys2" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "i9100" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "i9100" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100" ||
[...]

but each time, I get an error saying:
This package is for "<list of compatible IDs>" devices this is a " "

I think somewhere here is the problem, it doesn't read the info for my device, the value displayed in the error is empty, although in my build.prop file the info is correct:
[...]
ro.product.model=GT-I9100
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=GT-I9100
ro.product.device=GT-I9100
ro.product.board=smdk4210
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product_ship=true
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=GB
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=exynos4
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=GT-I9100
[...]

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I am not an expert in this and I have searched all I could think of, with no luck. I don't understand how come it doesn't show the device ID from my build.prop file at least in the error..

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
CWM 4.0.1.5 is outdated and won't flash kitkat roms anyway.Firstly download a kitkat compatible cwm(6.0.4.7 etc),boot to recovery:
1.flash a kitkat compatible recovery
2.reboot recovery
3.full wipe,then flash cm11+gapps[or any other rom]
4.reboot

Don't flash i9100g's roms!!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: anitallica

anitallica

Apr 9, 2014
Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot, you saved me lots of time and search! So this was the issue, the CWM I had wasn't compatible with KitKat..

I followed the tutorial from ibtimes co uk called install-android-4-4-kitkat-compatible-cwm-recovery-galaxy-s2-i9100-how-1434170

And I got the CM11 installed.. but started having crashes already :)
Might be a stupid question, but would the factory reset still work now? Or there is no way back, in case it proves not to have been a great idea..

CWM 4.0.1.5 is outdated and won't flash kitkat roms anyway.Firstly download a kitkat compatible cwm(6.0.4.7 etc),boot to recovery:
2.reboot recovery
4.reboot

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot, you saved me lots of time and search! So this was the issue, the CWM I had wasn't compatible with KitKat..

I followed the tutorial from ibtimes co uk called install-android-4-4-kitkat-compatible-cwm-recovery-galaxy-s2-i9100-how-1434170

And I got the CM11 installed.. but started having crashes already :)
Might be a stupid question, but would the factory reset still work now? Or there is no way back, in case it proves not to have been a great idea..

Boot to cwm and do it,also wipe cache and dalvik cache.

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
If you didn't made a nandroid backup,then NO.Your previous rom is completely lost now.Factory reset could only solve app crashes if you dirty flashed cm11 over stock jb.
If you don't like cm11,there's plenty of other great kitkat roms.Or,if you like stock jellybean,I would suggest stock based custom 4.1.2 roms as they come mostly debloated and with some cool additional features.
Choice is yours.
And always read install instructions.First step is always "make a nandroid backup".
Enjoy;)

anitallica

Apr 9, 2014
If you didn't made a nandroid backup,then NO.Your previous rom is completely lost now.Factory reset could only solve app crashes if you dirty flashed cm11 over stock jb.
If you don't like cm11,there's plenty of other great kitkat roms.Or,if you like stock jellybean,I would suggest stock based custom 4.1.2 roms as they come mostly debloated and with some cool additional features.
Choice is yours.
And always read install instructions.First step is always "make a nandroid backup".
Enjoy;)

of course I didn't make a nandroid backup, I don't even know what that is.. this is the first time i came up with the idea to change the ROM. After the installation, everything seemed to crash, even OS services which didn't look good, and I didn't know what a dirty flash is so I thought I'd see if that's what I did :) it wasn't, so it still restored to cm11, but to my luck somehow it's working fine since..

there are a number of things I am not quite sure of.. one of them is why I get an exclamation mark on the startup screen every time I reboot the phone. another is why using rom manager, I could restart to my previous version of CWM (the 4.x) when now I flashed 6.x before installing cm11. I feel I made a bit of a mess on this phone, and would not advise anyone to try this without a good understanding of what they are doing, but for now, even though I downloaded (what I hope is) the official 4.1.2 for S2, I will give cm11 a chance.. I just hope those crashes don't come back, it's a bit disturbing that I have no idea where they came from.. I didn't make any factory reset before I flashed the new cwm and then the cm11, maybe that's why..

In any case, million thanks for your patience and advice, it made all the difference!

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
Welcome to the world of modding!!;)
To eliminate app crashes,I would suggest you to reflash cm11 using exactly these steps:
1.Boot to recovery
2.Wipe data/factory reset
2.Wipe cache
3.Advanced/wipe dalvik cache
4.Mounts and storage/format system
5.Flash CM11
6.Flash Gapps
7.Reboot

This will completely wipe the remains of your previous jellybean rom and fix apps and system crashes.To remove the yellow triangle,use this
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/orig-development/2013-10-04-triangleaway-v3-10-t1494114

anitallica

Apr 9, 2014
To eliminate app crashes,I would suggest you to reflash cm11 using exactly these steps:
1.Boot to recovery
2.Wipe cache
5.Flash CM11
6.Flash Gapps
7.Reboot

This will completely wipe the remains of your previous jellybean rom and fix apps and system crashes.To remove the yellow triangle,use this
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/orig-development/2013-10-04-triangleaway-v3-10-t1494114

Thanks for the tip for the yellow triangle, will give it a go now, i am sure it'll do the trick. and also for the instructions for a reflashing, I will put them in safe keeping, though I am sure you can understand why I will not follow them unless the crashing reappears :) never change a running system. Had I done this to begin with, we wouldn't be here..

Reactions: TheImpossibleEnemy

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
Those problems will definitely come back sooner or later as moving between different android versions,as you did from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2,requires wiping system and data partitions,otherwise system will become unstable.
This is just a tip before you setup your phone

anitallica

Apr 9, 2014
first your version of cvwm recovery is out of date and wont work properly with kitkat custom roms so just flash your device with the latest cwm recovery version 6.0.4.5 o 6.0.4.7
Thanks but I got this info already yesterday and succeeded to flash the ROM. This topic can be closed but I don't know how to close it or if I'm even supposed to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2.reboot recovery
    4.reboot

Choice is yours.
    Enjoy;)
    1.Boot to recovery
    2.Wipe cache
    5.Flash CM11
    6.Flash Gapps
    7.Reboot

1.Boot to recovery
    2.Wipe cache
    5.Flash CM11
    6.Flash Gapps
    7.Reboot

Thanks for the tip for the yellow triangle, will give it a go now, i am sure it'll do the trick. and also for the instructions for a reflashing, I will put them in safe keeping, though I am sure you can understand why I will not follow them unless the crashing reappears :) never change a running system. Had I done this to begin with, we wouldn't be here..