USB Device not recognized in fastboot

Search This thread

Bilge656

Jul 4, 2012
I get the error in the title over and over again. When my device is on normally, it is recognized fine. I have tried uninstalling the drivers in device manager, but even that doesn't work. Using Squabbi's toolkit crashes when I try to download the HTC drivers.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I have a 4.1.2 device with 1.44 hboot. Can/should this be updated?
Is it true that there are no drivers for Windows 8? If so, do you recommend a linux VM ?

Thanks

Last edited:

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
Oh ok. Is there any toolkit for Linux? Any guides?
Here use this guide:
HOW TO USE LINUX FOR FASTBOOT & ADB VIA USB
This guide originally posted by @Danny201281
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54272479&postcount=219
Linux is your friend; if your drivers are not working the chances of getting them working again without the phone booting are slim. But Linux doesn't need drivers to talk to your device.

Go here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and download Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3

Then go here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ and download Ubuntu from the first link at the top that says PC (Intel x86) desktop CD

Then use these files to create a bootable Linux USB drive with at least a 2 GB persistent file for storing files. You'll also probably need to change your boot settings in the computers bios to boot from USB.

MOVING YOUR FILES TO UBUNTU

Once booted you should be at a screen with options to "Try Ubuntu” or "Install Ubuntu". We don’t need to Install anything so just choose "Try Ubuntu" and the computer will boot to the Ubuntu Desktop (If you get a popup saying "system has encountered an error" or something similar just cancel and ignore it, it should have no effect on what we need to do as it is due to missing Linux OS updates we don’t need). On the left of the screen you'll see the Dock. Open the orange folder icon near the top this is the Home folder. It’s where we need to put any files we need to work with such as a rom.zip you want to push to the device or recovery.img files for flashing.

To get your files here is a simple drag and drop process. In the top left of the Home folder you'll see the drive structure of you pc under devices. Choose your PCs hard drive and Right-Click then" Open in a new window". Locate your .zip or .img files and drag them into the home folder. Now wait for the copy process to complete and rename them for easier typing later, e.g., rom.zip, firmware.zip or recovery.img etc.

USING ADB AND FASTBOOT

First you need to install adb fastboot; this is easy just 3 commands in the terminal. Thanks to Webupd8 team.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
Make sure your connected to the internet and press Ctrl+Alt+T to open the terminal then type or copy and paste the above commands one at a time waiting for each to complete their output. It may seem to have stopped at times but be patient when the prompt returns to normal enter the next command and when there all done you’re ready to use adb and fastboot.

Once you've moved all the files you need to the home folder that’s it you’re ready to go. Close everything down on the desktop (optional) and press Ctrl+Alt+T this will open the terminal now connect your phone with the USB cable. All fastboot commands need to have the "sudo" prefix added at the start, e.g.

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img becomes sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot devices becomes sudo fastboot devices

However, adb should work basically the same as on windows. If you do have problems with normal adb commands adding “sudo” can help here as well.
If you get "no permissions ?????????" when trying to use adb, type:
Code:
killall adb
Disconnect the phone for a few seconds, then reconnect and type:
Code:
sudo adb devices
adb should now work as normal without the sudo prefix.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Ok so I did all of that, but my device still is not recognized. It is not detected at all in my Windows 8 build as well as my virtual machine of Ubuntu.

you have to boot linux from a usb drive or from a live cd, not like a virtual machine like virtualbox or anything similar.

Bilge656

Jul 4, 2012
you have to boot linux from a usb drive or from a live cd, not like a virtual machine like virtualbox or anything similar.

I did that, and at first I plugged it in and it was recognized. Then after awhile, it stopped being recognized all together after some reboots.

Last edited: