Ice Cream Sandwich Bluetooth Keyboard Shortcuts

Search This thread

hajalie24

Apr 9, 2011
Does anyone know where to find out all the shortcuts you can do with an external keyboard on Android 4.0? Things like the back button, home screen, etc. Thank.

Pandages

Apr 3, 2012
Thread Necromancy, I know, but this is a serious question that remains unanswered. Here's the most info I've found:

Rootzwiki User Gr8gorilla posted a list of shortcuts that work with his Targus Bluetooth Keyboard (I'm editing the list for formatting, and adding more as I find them.)

ESC: Back (woo!)

Targus FN + F* keys: (edit: These only work with the specific model of Targus keyboard. Your FN key may only perform functions as labelled, test it to verify)
FN+F1: Search
FN+F8: play/pause music
FN+F7: Skip Prev
FN+F9: Skip Next
FN+F11: Volume -
FN+F12: Volume +
FN+ESC: Wallpaper, manage apps, system settings.

Alt+Tab - recent apps, task switcher (WOO!)

CTRL + Alpha keys:
Ctrl+A: Market (edit: this opens the "add to home screen" menu for me)
Ctrl+P: Settings
Ctrl+W: Wallpaper
Ctrl+M: Apps

In Browser: (edit: these work in other apps too, if they apply)
Ctrl+B: Bookmarks
Ctrl+A: Select all
Ctrl+C: Copy
Ctrl+V: Paste
Ctrl+W: Close current tab
Ctrl+T: Open new tab

Command/Windows button + : (edit: these commands work from anywhere, even in other apps)
Win+E: Launch Default Email App (brings up a choice dialog if necessary)
Win+A: Launch Calculator.apk
Win+S: Launch Messaging.apk (SMS App)
Win+C: Launch Contacts
Win+B: Launch Browser.apk (not your default browser, unfortunately)
Win+P: Launch Music.apk (not your default music player, unfortunately)
Win+L: Launch Calendar
Win+M: Launch Google Maps

From my own experience: the above work, other than the Targus-specific ones. I've tested them all. I'm looking for more, especially ways to activate "HOME", "MENU" and to open/close the notification drawer.

Also, you can edit your /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl to change which key codes sent by the bluetooth keyboard activate various functions. This would be a rather involved hack, and may be specific to your hardware. Doing it wrong could compromise your ability to use your software keyboard. Also, it would be replaced whenever you flash a ROM, and possibly some smaller updates as well. Here's a guide to hacking keyboard layouts, though it's a bit old, and I haven't tested it. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK, but post your results either way!

I'm looking for a way to enable the Android SDK Emulator Shortcut Keys on real devices. It would give us that which we're missing.

Last edited:

erupe

Sep 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Ctrl+W and Ctrl+T

In the stock browser:
Ctrl+W - closes the current tab
Ctrl+T - opens a new tab

There may be more of these that are similar to chrome shortcuts but those are the only two I really use.

Reactions: Pandages

Pandages

Apr 3, 2012
I'd just like to clarify something: using an app called KeyEvent Display, free on Google Play, you can verify that Android is actually receiving keystrokes from your keyboard. I've tested every key on my keyboard, and found that they correspond exactly with /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl (fn key excluded, because that's handled by the keyboard itself, not passed to the OS).

I think the Android Framework doesn't know what to do with:
  • F-Keys
  • Mute

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ctrl+W and Ctrl+T

In the stock browser:
    Ctrl+W - closes the current tab
    Ctrl+T - opens a new tab

There may be more of these that are similar to chrome shortcuts but those are the only two I really use.