[Q] Unlock Bootloader (Post-OTA)?

Search This thread

Hackenstein

Aug 22, 2010
Hey Guys,

Dug out my two old Droid DNAs today to sell them both. One has the unlocked bootloader, the other (my wife's old phone) does not. She took the OTA update when it went out way back when.

Been scouring the forums every where trying to find a way to unlock the bootloader to up the phone's value a little. Has anyone found a way to do this after the software update?

If there isn't a way to do it, does that make this phone pretty much un-changeable? Is it not possible to get root, add custom recovery, flash custom OS, etc?

Thanks!

I.M.famous XMAN

Dec 16, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Here's how I got s-off and unlocked bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54892513&postcount=1 Just make sure you are s-on, or firewater won't do anything.

RUU can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2612740, personally, I haven't been able to get the 3.06 RUU to work. Keeps erroring out. I used the alt method.

Just a side note: you may want to do a factory reset from HBOOT (from the stock HBOOT and stock recovery) before rooting or unlocking anything. Helps to keep the "no 4G" issue from happening.

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
Here's how I got s-off and unlocked bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54892513&postcount=1 Just make sure you are s-on, or firewater won't do anything.

RUU can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2612740, personally, I haven't been able to get the 3.06 RUU to work. Keeps erroring out. I used the alt method.

Just a side note: you may want to do a factory reset from HBOOT (from the stock HBOOT and stock recovery) before rooting or unlocking anything. Helps to keep the "no 4G" issue from happening.

Exactly!!

tazz5150

Nov 14, 2011
one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

I Ruued back to 3.06 took the latest update and used weaksauce for temp root and firewater to soff and unlock.

I know this will be a frustrating question for you;
For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?
Or, do i need to look for something newer to come out?

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?
I used weaksauce and firewater after I took the 4.4.2 update

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
one concern about RUU.

my battery life is the same or better with KK

Top Liked Posts