[KERNEL] IAP SAMURAI AKIRA oc/uv 3.0.33 Kernel UPDATED (06/08/2012)

Search This thread

pglegend

Aug 17, 2010
Warren, MI
Are you guys restoring data ? a boot loop or reboot should only occur for one of three reasons, your rom doesn't like this kernel, you restored bad data, or it overheated and needs some time to cool down.. I have been running this for days on cm9 and stock on my fiances with no reboots and we both use our phones for different things...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

It may have been the overheating....

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using XDA

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Not even going to touch this one cause it could really piss me off insulting my intelligence like that and also not reading the thread let alone the few posts before this one....

Man where did you get off on? Maybe I missed a post somewhere but insulting your intelligence? I was making a simple statement. If this processor doesn't have that feature, point us to a document and let's move on.

Edit:
Follow the TI ARM Cortex-A9 by clicking the System block diagrams and then Understanding the Terms and Definitions of LDO Voltage Regulators to download the attached Application report pdf. On page 11 section 12 they specify Power Dissipation and Junction Temperature. In it they show the safe operating area for a TI LDO regulators. Here is a quote for what's called "Thermal protection" in the system:

The thermal protection shuts the regulator off if the junction temperature rises above 165°C. Recovery is automatic when the junction temperature drops approximately to 140°C, where regulator operation resumes.

I read that as a FIXED core temperature fault shut down which puts the processor in recovery mode until the temperature drops.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect or pointing fingers with "I told you so". I was simply commenting in hopes to add something for the community. Take it as you will.

Attachments

• slva079.pdf
    197.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jeffreynothing43

Apr 6, 2010
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE='e
Still waiting on some voodoo love for the G-Nex...[/QUOTE]

Definitely...coming from the Nexus S4G I really miss Voodoo. Out of the box that is immediately what I miss the most.

Also, if you don't mind, can you please explain some of your governers and I/O schedulers? I'm brand new to this device...just got it yesterday so...I'm coming from the NS4G.

-What is I/O Fiops?
-What are Samurai and Hotplug Governers?

Also, thank you for this kernel. As soon as I felt the phone I knew it needed a kernel and so far this one seems great!

Last edited:

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Definitely...coming from the Nexus S4G I really miss Voodoo. Out of the box that is immediately what I miss the most.

Also, if you don't mind, can you please explain some of your governers and I/O schedulers? I'm brand new to this device...just got it yesterday so...I'm coming from the NS4G.

-What is I/O Fiops?
-What are Samurai and Hotplug Governers?

Also, thank you for this kernel. As soon as I felt the phone I knew it needed a kernel and so far this one seems great!

samurai is his gov based off of lagfree ... its a more aggressive lag free so it when your using it it will be at the top freq... then it will scale down the freqs when you stop. Samurai is the same but will scale faster.

Fiops I'm not too sure but fro. What he's told me its made specifically for flash devices and is one of if not the best I/o.

Clueless on the hot plug... but Google is a thing. :)

Sent From My Sprint Galaxy Nexus via XDA Premium

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Man where did you get off on? Maybe I missed a post somewhere but insulting your intelligence? I was making a simple statement. If this processor doesn't have that feature, point us to a document and let's move on.

Edit:
Follow the TI ARM Cortex-A9 by clicking the System block diagrams and then Understanding the Terms and Definitions of LDO Voltage Regulators to download the attached Application report pdf. On page 11 section 12 they specify Power Dissipation and Junction Temperature. In it they show the safe operating area for a TI LDO regulators. Here is a quote for what's called "Thermal protection" in the system:

The thermal protection shuts the regulator off if the junction temperature rises above 165°C. Recovery is automatic when the junction temperature drops approximately to 140°C, where regulator operation resumes.

I read that as a FIXED core temperature fault shut down which puts the processor in recovery mode until the temperature drops.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect or pointing fingers with "I told you so". I was simply commenting in hopes to add something for the community. Take it as you will.

at first he may of miss interpreted your post but now your just trying to be a smart a$$... please stop.

jeffreynothing43

Apr 6, 2010
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
samurai is his gov based off of lagfree ... its a more aggressive lag free so it when your using it it will be at the top freq... then it will scale down the freqs when you stop. Samurai is the same but will scale faster.

Fiops I'm not too sure but fro. What he's told me its made specifically for flash devices and is one of if not the best I/o.

Clueless on the hot plug... but Google is a thing. :)

Samurai sounds cool...any experience with battery life using it?

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
at first he may of miss interpreted your post but now your just trying to be a smart a$$... please stop.

I don't see how I'm being a amart a$$.

Anyway, I tried 1420Mhz and still had a random reboot. So I've been on 1350Mhz and haven't seen one yet.

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Some pretty good battery... I'd say.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336787304063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336787304063.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 236
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336787313305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336787313305.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 237
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336787320016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336787320016.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 232

earthbound[iap]

Dec 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
indandroidprj.zxq.net
I don't see how I'm being a amart a$$.

Anyway, I tried 1420Mhz and still had a random reboot. So I've been on 1350Mhz and haven't seen one yet.

insulting my intelligence by even suggesting that I didn't know the information you were providing and the fact that I mentioned it earlier in this thread...

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
insulting my intelligence by even suggesting that I didn't know the information you were providing and the fact that I mentioned it earlier in this thread...

OK :) I just can't figure out what your intelligence has to do with your knowledge.
But anyway, sorry for my intrusion in this thread.

Anon9mouz

Sep 24, 2009
Rineyville, KY
www.facebook.com
Could u help me update my kernel for my rom with 3.0.30 stock for miui bc right now I'm at 3.0.28 so idk what changes are from then and now but hell I like to update it ne ways :p

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Could u help me update my kernel for my rom with 3.0.30 stock for miui bc right now I'm at 3.0.28 so idk what changes are from then and now but hell I like to update it ne ways :p

... .31 is coming soon... at least from what he's told me he plans to fix the voltage and update the kernel to 3.31 ;)

jeffreynothing43

Apr 6, 2010
Raleigh, NC
www.myspace.com
For some reason I keep getting a boot loop when installing this kernel. I took back a defective GN and got a new one. The old one took the kernel fine...this one not so much. I'm trying to flash it over stock. This is what I did before with no issues on the GN I took back

Here's a log...any help would be appreciated.

I/SystemServer( 186): Entered the Android system server!
I/SystemServer( 186): Entropy Service
I/SystemServer( 186): Power Manager
I/SystemServer( 186): Activity Manager
I/ActivityManager( 186): Memory class: 64
D/dalvikvm( 186): GC_CONCURRENT freed 164K, 2% free 12868K/13127K, paused 2ms+3
ms
I/SystemServer( 186): Telephony Registry
I/SystemServer( 186): Package Manager
D/dalvikvm( 186): GC_CONCURRENT freed 412K, 4% free 12966K/13447K, paused 8ms+2
ms
D/dalvikvm( 186): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 378K, 5% free 12938K/13575K, paused 15ms
D/dalvikvm( 186): GC_CONCURRENT freed 301K, 4% free 13042K/13575K, paused 1ms+2
ms
D/dalvikvm( 186): GC_CONCURRENT freed 216K, 3% free 13259K/13575K, paused 2ms+2
ms
I/installd( 131): new connection
I/Installer( 186): connecting...
D/dalvikvm( 205): DexOpt: load 4ms, verify+opt 24ms
D/dalvikvm( 206): DexOpt: load 19ms, verify+opt 122ms
I/dalvikvm( 186): Zip is good, but no classes.dex inside, and no .odex file in
the same directory
W/PackageManager( 186): Cannot dexopt /system/framework/com.samsung.device.jar;
is it an APK or JAR? /system/framework/com.samsung.device.jar

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Weird maybe cuz your on stock? Try another rom?

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
I would agree with you except it worked on the other GN I had. Just weird to me... I don't get it. I hope the dev can look at the logs and be specific as to why it isn't working. I'm also new to this device so I don't know what ROMs are good here.

Just curious what recovery are you using to flash? The bootloader is unlocked?

Sent from a phone...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the Independent Android Projects Samsung Galaxy Nexus Kernel.

00025.png

Big Thanks to FAUX123 for all of his work on his kernel, as I used his source mostly as a base with some samurai modifications.​

.:INSTALLATION:.
    1. flash .zip with twrp or cwm
    2. after fully loading the os please reboot the system...

.:IAP KERNEL UPDATES:.

-- updated kernel to 3.0.33 (faux123) (6-08-2012)

-- added cache flush routine (5-31-2012)
    -- added lionheart governor (my choice) (5-31-2012)
    -- updated samurai governor (5-31-2012)
    -- removed wheatley (not working yet) (5-31-2012)

-- fixed voltage control (5-30-2012)
    -- samurai and lazy governor now working (5-30-2012)
    -- wheatley still a little iffy... (5-30-2012)
    -- up'd wifi voltage for added stability (5-30-2012)

-- added color gamma tuning for supported roms
    -- overclocking 1.35, 1.42, 1.48
    -- upped voltages because of sound issues...
    -- updated to 3.0.30
    -- FIOPS i/o scheduler set as default
    -- INTERACTIVE governor set as default
    -- added IAP boot animation created by Luna & EarthBound.IAP
    -- born on dating for zip and updater script

.:DOWNLOAD LINK:.
    SAMURAI.AKIRA.G.NEX.06.08.04.35

SAMURAI.AKIRA.G.NEX.05.31.00.13

SAMURAI.AKIRA.G.NEX.05.29.18.27

.:SOURCE LINK:.
    SAMURAI GIT REPO

.:IAP APP LINK:.
    -- Keep up to date on everything IAP has to offer with the official IAP android APP
    IAP APP on GOOGLE PLAY

.:ORIGINAL FAUX123 CHANGES:.
    Memory Management subsystem:
    -- feature SLQB allocator ( http://lwn.net/Articles/311502/ )
    -- enabled memory control group (ultimate ONLY)
    -- SLUB completed updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- enabled KSM for CM9 Dalvik hack also completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- vmalloc completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- vmscan completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- memcontrol completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- memory compaction completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- page writeback completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013b6+)
    -- filemap completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b8+)
    -- swap/swapfile completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b8+)
    -- shmem completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b8+)
    -- memblock completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b13+)
    -- oomkill completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b13+)

Init:
    -- kernel init completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b8+)

Core Kernel:
    *** RCU:
    -- completely updated to latest preemptive tree RCU to Linux 3.3-rc2 ( http://en.wikipedia....ead-copy-update )
    *** Scheduler:
    -- back ported select Linux 3.3+ cgroup (cpu control groups), threadgroup optimizations
    -- cherry picked select NOHz optimizations from Linux 3.3+ ( http://www.phoronix....m=651&num=1 )
    -- multi-threaded device initialization
    -- cherry picked the new lockless list support from Linux 3.3+ ( http://lwn.net/Articles/423366/ )

Power Management:
    -- cherry picked select PM optimizations from Linux 3.2+
    -- cherry picked select CPUIDLE optimizations from Linux 3.3+
    -- Added Two-Phase Power Savings to OnDemand Governor
    -- Added screen off hotplug capability to Interactive (default), OnDemand and Conservative governors

File System:
    -- DOS VFAT (read/write), NTFS (read/write), CDROM/UDF FS, CIFS+UTF-8 (windows share) all built-in
    -- Filesystem writeback completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013b6+)
    -- Asynchronous I/O completely updated to Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b6+)

Block I/O:
    -- Deadline (default), No-op, FIOPS (back ported from Linux 3.3+), CFQ
    -- Completely updated to Linux 3.3-RC3 (kernel 013b13+)
    -- FIOPS version 2 (kernel 013+)

Kernel Features:
    -- CleanCache Enabled ( http://lwn.net/Articles/386090/ ) (ultimate ONLY)
    -- FrontSwap Enabled and updated to latest revisions slated for Linux 3.3+ (ultimate ONLY)

Device Drivers:
    -- USB OTG (USB On-the-Go, aka USB Host-like support allows for external USB sticks, Keyboard/Mice)
    -- DeviceMapper Cache capability ( http://sourceware.org/dm/ )
    -- updated ZRAM / ZCache to latest Linux 3.3+ (compressed RAM devices) (ultimate ONLY)
    -- Added Google's Snappy Compression support (alternative to LZO compression written by Google) (ultimate ONLY)
    -- Patched OMAP4 Real-Time Clock with latest updates
    -- Patched TWL6040 Codec with latest updates and optimization
    -- ARM Berkeley Network Packet Filter Just-in-Time (JIT) compiler support ( http://en.wikipedia....y_Packet_Filter )
    -- Added CM9 / Supercurio Color Gamma Hack (kernel 013b13+)

Library Support:
    -- Optimized CRC32 and CRC32c with Sliced by 8 algorithm (used by TCP/IP and File Systems)
    -- Optimized memcpy and string libraries (used by many things)
    -- Updated IDR library to Linux 3.3-rc2 (kernel 013+)
    -- more selective cherry picks from Linux 3.3-rc3 (kernel 013b8+)

ARM / OMAP architecture drivers:
    -- Patched ARM VFP with latest updates (floating point optimization)
    -- Patched ARM hotplug with latest updates (turning on/off CPUs)
    -- Patched OMAP4 SmartReflex with latest updates (OMAP4xxx Hardware assisted Dynamic Voltage Scaler)
    -- Patched ARM cache code with latest updates (L1/L2 Cache controls)
    -- Asynchronous SMP initialization
    -- CPU Overclocking to max 1.35GHz (with additional freq @ 1.06GHz, 810MHz and 525MHz)
    -- GPU Overclocking to 384 MHz from 307 MHz (ultimate ONLY)
    new version with wheatley removed, lionheart added, samurai = more aggressive, and cache flush routine added...

SAMURAI.AKIRA.G.NEX.05.31.00.13 <- link in the OP

P.S. if anyone wants to know what governor/scheduler I use... I use Lionheart/fiops... and a max freq of 1.35GHz. Lionheart is technically a conservative governor modified to work more like a performance governor... FIOPS is specifically designed for flash based devices... and 1.35GHz to give it a little extra kick... ;)
    Been real quiet around here... earthbound has been up to something latetly...

He has successfully compiled a working linaro samurai kernel. Me and him have been running it for the past couple days, very impressed on the fluidity it adds to the phone. Apps load faster, the input and output is much higher in Benchmarks so that could be why... it processes things much faster than stock android. He has also been compiling ROM's he has already done AOKP but he plans to do AOSP as well as CM9 if im not mistaken. They will each have what he calls "samurai" tweaks. They will also include tid bits from the SGS3. Im not entirely sure of what else will be in it... but look for it sometime in the next week or so.
    :D
    Up in op

Ok guys broke my ankle skateboarding a 9' bowl at the skatepark, so I will now have some time to update the kernel... sorry about the wait I have been really busy lately...