Smelkus recovery vs. TWRP recovery LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

Search This thread

JM-PDA

Nov 11, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I'd be interested in trying TWRP, and I know that's it's no longer an issue, but the history of bricking in the older version just makes me fearful of it.

TBH, choices is what makes this community so great, and customization is what users want, so the more choices to customize a device to your own liking, the better

I just installed TWRP last night. Yeah, I was a little nervous about the bricking I have heard about.
But, so far so good!
Before this, I was on Smelkus (which is awesome).
TWRP is like a "new toy" on my Evo. So I am enjoying the nice interface.
TWRP also interfaces much better with ROM Manager and ROM Tool Box.

I agree they both have strengths. I do miss the Smelkus "Auto Reboot" after an install is done.

Will stay on TWRP for now.
Cheers!

Reactions: smelkus

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
I just installed TWRP last night. Yeah, I was a little nervous about the bricking I have heard about.
But, so far so good!
Before this, I was on Smelkus (which is awesome).
TWRP is like a "new toy" on my Evo. So I am enjoying the nice interface.
TWRP also interfaces much better with ROM Manager and ROM Tool Box.

I agree they both have strengths. I do miss the Smelkus "Auto Reboot" after an install is done.

Will stay on TWRP for now.
Cheers!
jm-pda just remember that twrp 2.4.1.0 has the jellybean source so some of your zips will fail to install. I suggest to everyone to either update all your personal zips or downgrade to 2.2.2.0. enjoy your new toy!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another key difference between the two is the ability of RA-based recoveries to flash firmware from within recovery. Additionally, RA-based recoveries still support Amend scripting for the old-school (or "throwback", if you will ;)). Both of these allow OTA updates to be flashed without having to go back to the stock recovery (if you're on a completely stock ROM, of course).

Graphically and UI-wise, I think most people would agree that TWRP reigns supreme. Some of the features in the new TWRP are just crazy, like the built in Terminal Emulator and File Manager. That's been extremely helpful when I want to flash a PC36IMG zip file from a folder on my sd card, without having to connect my device to a computer. The renaming of backups is also a great feature (though I'd prefer it if the default name was there as a start first, as I typically use the date as the first item to identify my backup).

I do like the group and individual wipes offered by smelkusMOD, though. I would like the ability to wipe each partition (including /boot) in TWRP individually. TWRP really doesn't give you the ability to just wipe /data without wiping /sd-ext too, which doesn't really allow you to keep the apps you have installed there from ROM to ROM if you're using a2sd. This is a minor inconvenience if you only have a few apps, but it becomes a major one if you ext partition is almost full.

I personally think both recoveries are great. I keep a PC36IMG.zip on the root of my sd card at all times that has the latest version of smelkusMOD, while currently running TWRP as my main recovery. In case something goes wrong in TWRP, I can flash back to smelkusMOD with no issue.

P.S. I also use Boot Manager Pro, and I can restore a smelkusMOD-reated nandroid to a BMP slot, while I cannot do so with TWRP. I'm not sure if that's a format thing, or just how the backup files are named. So that's another thing to consider. If smelkusMOD had the same type of touchscreen/scrolling engine that TWRP has, that would definitely bring it up a notch. But I think the existing code would have to be completely revamped to accomodate that, and really there's no reason, because that's why we have variety :good:.

P.P.S. After reading the above post, I hope that my response came off objective, rather than as a "fanboy" response :rolleyes:. It's also interesting to me that ClockWork Mod isn't even part of the discussion. To anyone that reads this - there is a good reason for that!!

P.P.P.S. And I hope no one forgets that I was another one that was bricked by the infamous TWRP 2.0, but I was able to recover my device and help at least one other person recover his. You'd think that would've scared me away from TWRP, right? (or maybe I'm just a moron and/or a glutton for punishment). Seriously though, I believe the recovery is working well now, as does smelkusMOD. To each his or her own.
    What's a recovery? :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

A recovery is where you go to get off drugs and alcohol or what ever you are addicted to. All of need a good recovery program so we can get off our phones

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app
    I have tried both recoveries and have to say I like smelkus' recovery best. TWRP has a really cool UI, but I love the options in smelkus. If they could make a Smelkus/TWRP recovery, now that would be awesome!

Kendall
    Both recoveries are outdated to me. Why can't a recovery just know what I want to do, and then do it without me having to push buttons...or touch the screen?

Maybe you guys could add a Siri voice or something that would ask me questions and then do stuff? But it also has to know when not to ask me questions, because too many questions aggravate me. Also, and this is a deal breaker for me...it can't talk when I'm watching football...EVER!!! It needs to just sit there, and wait for a commercial.

I ain't got time for no recovery asking me stupid wipe questions when the game is on...juss sayin'
    that is goddamn epic

completely worth an offtopic post imo :p