Got Ad-hoc wifi working on my Xoom! (binaries inside)

Search This thread

pgwipeout

May 26, 2010
Semi-functional

Tried using it to connect to my Windows 7 machine:

-Using WPA2, Xoom sees the pc, but doesn't even connect.
-Using No encryption, Xoom sees the pc, and tries to connect, but immediately disconnects and tries again, after five attempts it disables connecting.

cmanson13

Apr 4, 2011
Thank You so much. Next time your in Portland, OR drop me a note and I'll buy the first round.

I followed the steps from the first post and it connected to my Walking Hotspot on my windows phone without any issues.

chbennett

Feb 5, 2011
Portland
If not for the SDCard update from BRD, I think this thread would be getting alot more attention.

Not to be too mistrusting, but I am hesitant about loading this on my Xoom when it is posted by a new user with only one post.

Really man? Everyone has to start somewhere, and there are a lot of smart and talented people who haven't posted or who got an account for this specific purpose. As for they few bad pesudo devs out there, just be cautious when modding your device. Remember you took a risk getting it rooted and unlocked, and probably SD enable as well.
My rant is done.

PengLord

Oct 24, 2007
Really man? Everyone has to start somewhere, and there are a lot of smart and talented people who haven't posted or who got an account for this specific purpose. As for they few bad pesudo devs out there, just be cautious when modding your device. Remember you took a risk getting it rooted and unlocked, and probably SD enable as well.
My rant is done.
Your rant was unnecessary and added nothing to the thread, since as stated in a previous post, I loaded the patch after researching the OP.

You aren't really trying to tell me that if a person came in here and posted something that sounded like the Holy Grail but they had no history, you'd just blindly trust them, are you?

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
Can you tell me exactly how you did this as I dont appear to have an option for enabling wifi tether on my xoom

Thanks

Follow the steps in the first post to get the Xoom to see adhoc networks, download and install barnacle on your phone, run barnacle, connect your Xoom to the access point created by barnacle. Pretty easy really.

I got the xoom not knowing honeycomb couldn't natively see ad-hoc networks. I knew the atrix could see and connect to ad-hoc networks and I could do it with my x10, so I assumed the xoom would be able to as well. This has made my wifi version of the xoom well worth the purchase. I knew it had something to do with the wpa_supplicant file when I opened in in visual studio and found the part where it excluded the ad-hoc from network scanning, but I couldn't really do anything more than just see that.

Thanks for all the work put into making this happen. Couldn't have been an easier process to get it working either. I actually couldn't get it copied to the system/bin folder using RE since for some reason it wouldn't remount as r/w, so I just used adb.

It's working great too.

Reactions: yoshitweaky

kelvie

Apr 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My rant is done.

Thanks for trying to stick up for trust in me :)

I really don't blame anyone for being mistrustful. I'd encourage it... I find the whole "downloading binaries off of forums" thing very sketchy as well... and I don't even trust most of the apps on the Market.

That's why I like Android over the Apple alternatives, open source! (I was originally rooting for Nokia, but alas...)

That said, the source is on my github repo, so if you understandably don't trust me, you can build it yourself.

Just load up the Android kernel environment (google "android kernel git", then run . build/envsetup.sh), and use the "mm" function inside my source tree.

Reactions: PengLord

DroidHam

Aug 8, 2010
Akron, OH
My wifi is running slow, alot slower than usual. If I use my wifi on my laptop I max out at 1.75mb/sec steady, on my Xoom its 500-800k all over the map. Can this be worked on?

freeky1

Aug 27, 2006
OK, I want to do this, but I don't understand the process. Once I root my Xoom, I just dowload the file, change the file type to an executable, then copy it to the Xoom and execute it? I am a total noob, so please excuse my ignorance. I just need a step-by-step explanation of how to use that file.

My DroidX is rooted, and my Wifi Tether program creates an infrastructure network, so my Xoom sees it and connects to it just fine. I need ad hoc for another reason. I have a device made by Innovate Motorsports called an OT-2 that plugs into the ODB2 port in my car, then creates an ad hoc network. By connecting a PC or smartphone through wifi to the OT-2, you can monitor and log all kinds of information about the car.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

yoshitweaky

Sep 21, 2010
freeky1,
It couldn't be easier, if you have root explorer it becomes a breeze.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer&feature=search_result

1. Move the new wpa_supplicant to your xoom either via sd card, dropbox or cable copy.
  2. turn off your wifi
  3. Navigated to system/bin
  4. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  5. Then long hold on the file and select rename put old on the end
  6. Copy/cut and paste the existing wpa_supplicant file somewhere safe
  7. Then copy the new file from the extracted zip
  8. Navigate back to system/bin
  9. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  10. Paste the new wpa file in
  11. Then long hold on the file and select view permissions
  12. check/tick all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775)
  13. restart wifi

You should then see adhoc networks with a * infront of them.

This is the process I followed based on the post in this thread by mr_wrong_0 and it worked for me, I am no dev and I wont promise anything.

Or follow the instruction in the OP for using adb, but if you've rooted, you'll love the simplicity root explorer brings for a small cost

Hope that helps

Reactions: flombs

willverduzco

User Experience Admin
Staff member
Apr 30, 2010
Manassas, VA
Thread moved to /dev.

This is probably one of the only times I've ever had to move anything TO development. Usually it's the other way around, haha.

Oh, and great work, kelvie!

Reactions: PengLord

freeky1

Aug 27, 2006
Thanks! You guys are the best! I will be doing this later today. I can't wait to get this Dashcommand working on the Xoom.

validoption

May 24, 2009
Will this work to tether the Xoom (Wifi ver.) to a laptop's adhoc network, much in the same way one can with an iPod Touch? I'm getting the Xoom on Saturday as a b-day present to myself, and I'd rather not add the cost of a wireless router if I can avoid it :)

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
Hi, will this work with iphone 4 using MyWi. Thanks

No, the XOOM hates all iDevices so it simply won't work. :D Just kidding. The XOOM is already capable (without this mod) of tethering via Bluetooth and WiFi (Infrastructure only). This mod enables the XOOM to do WiFi Ad-Hoc connections as well. MyFi supports all three, I believe so it should work with or without this mod in place.

yoshitweaky

Sep 21, 2010
Will this work to tether the Xoom (Wifi ver.) to a laptop's adhoc network, much in the same way one can with an iPod Touch? I'm getting the Xoom on Saturday as a b-day present to myself, and I'd rather not add the cost of a wireless router if I can avoid it :)

This was my response to the same question over at xoomforums some days ago:-

ok what I can say (having dug out an xp laptop while in work) is that after setting up a adhoc network on xp, the xoom does see it.

Doesn't seem to want to obtain an IP address automatically but I think thats about right for windows.

I would suggest setting a static of 192.168.0.1 on your laptop and 192.168.0.2 on the xoom

set the gateway on the xoom to be 192.168.0.1 (the adderss you set the laptop)

The address prefix length will be 24 (if using a class c subnet eg 255.255.255.0) or 16 (if you want a class b 255.255.0.0 subnet)

You also need to set the DNS addresses otherwise it'll still default to a dhcp setting on the xoom) I would use the dns servers of your ISP on the xoom. (this bugged me for ages if I didnt set these it still woudln't use the static setting and I would have to tap it all out again)

Once I did all that it connected to the adhoc network on the laptop..... but I don't have Internet access without going through proxy authentication (which requires a whole other workaround)

So I may get to test this on a windows 7 laptop tonight but the general idea seems to work (once you ensure you've set all the addresses right)

ruvort

Aug 4, 2010
This is working perfectly!!!! Thank you so so much.

p8ntballah21

Jun 15, 2010
works great, the Root Explorer Method is quick and painless. Thanks for all your hard work! Finally I can tether my Xoom off of my OG Droid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've managed to build a version of wpa_supplicant that has ad-hoc enabled, by forward porting the patch in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=754961

After building and a couple of tests, it works.

To install, you need a rooted Xoom, of course, and just push the file to system/bin/wpa_supplicant.

Because zipfiles don't store permission, you have to make it executable as well.

Code:
    adb remount
    adb push system/bin/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

I also had to change the permissions on /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf for some reason:
    Code:
    adb shell chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then reboot, and try it!

It works with my Nokia N8 with JoikuSpot; I can't tether it any other way as the N8 doesn't support the PAN Bluetooth profile, and Android doesn't support DUN.

Don't forget to backup your files, and I am not liable, etc, etc.

The code I used is here:
    https://github.com/kelvie/android-wpa_supplicant
    First off, wow man thank you so much. I've been playing with this for a while and I've tried a number of different wpa supplicant files but they failed to initiate a scan of wireless networks. I just tried this one and it works great. I wanted to explain a different way to install it however for the people having ADB issues.

First you want to turn off your wifi. I have used the ADB method a couple of times but I find it easier to use Root explorer. Save the file to your Xoom, Copy it using root explorer, navigate to the system/bin folder and click mount R/W then paste the file into the folder replacing the original (make sure to make a backup!) then long hold on the file and view permissions, check all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775) You can then restart your wifi and enjoy ad-hoc networks (no reboot needed.)

I've done this a couple of times and it works great. Thanks again.
    If I get some time this weekend, I can see if I can change the new wpa_supplicant in ICS to get ad-hoc wifi working for that.
    IMHO no-go

If I get some time this weekend, I can see if I can change the new wpa_supplicant in ICS to get ad-hoc wifi working for that.

Team EOS nightlies have already done that. In fact they already reverted to the original 'wpa_supplicant' since the patch had no effect. Here are the reverted changes - https://review.teameos.org/#patch,sidebyside,271,1,wpa_supplicant/ctrl_iface.c. Builds prior to 'Eos-wingray-48' have the patched 'wpa_supplicant'. You can try and extract it from one of their builds and - if you have root - replace the original one in '\system\bin' on stock. IMHO it's a no-go :(

I even went further to extract the patched 'wpa_supplicant' from 'Eos-wingray-38' and include it in the Unofficial CM9 ROM - nothing.

With the patched 'wpa_supplicant' you can 'see' the adhoc AP, but trying to connect just leads to a connection with an empty name appearing in the connection list. Nothing happens though.

The problem seems to go deeper. There's a bug on the Team EOS Bugzilla site - https://bugs.teameos.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The patched 'wpa_supplicant' v8 from the Team EOS nightlies build 38 is attached below. You can try and experiment with it.
    Can you tell me exactly how you did this as I dont appear to have an option for enabling wifi tether on my xoom

Thanks

Follow the steps in the first post to get the Xoom to see adhoc networks, download and install barnacle on your phone, run barnacle, connect your Xoom to the access point created by barnacle. Pretty easy really.

I got the xoom not knowing honeycomb couldn't natively see ad-hoc networks. I knew the atrix could see and connect to ad-hoc networks and I could do it with my x10, so I assumed the xoom would be able to as well. This has made my wifi version of the xoom well worth the purchase. I knew it had something to do with the wpa_supplicant file when I opened in in visual studio and found the part where it excluded the ad-hoc from network scanning, but I couldn't really do anything more than just see that.

Thanks for all the work put into making this happen. Couldn't have been an easier process to get it working either. I actually couldn't get it copied to the system/bin folder using RE since for some reason it wouldn't remount as r/w, so I just used adb.

It's working great too.