How to Root the kindle Fire 2

Search This thread

Dassen

Mar 10, 2011
Nanuet
Alright, so I've seen alot of posts asking about a root for the kindle fire 2
We've had multiple members use this method and it seems to work absolutley fine.

Follow the steps in this thread to gain root,
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893838

I was able to gain root while running ver 10.1.3 and I've seen many other members also able to do the same.

To use a launcher download the apk of the launcher you want to use, after installing move the apk file to your "app" folder found in the "system" file and change permissions for that apk to user - rw ; group - r ; other - r. Once those steps are done simply reboot your kindle and a prompt will appear asking which launcher to use.

Credits to the respective thread starters and to bodi524 for sharing the info with me.
[ list of recommended launchers ]
-Go launcher ( EX or HD )
-chameleon launcher
-lightning launcher
-nova launcher

there are a ton more to check out, just look around.

Last edited:
Reactions: orgproject

chrisliphart

Apr 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We've had multiple members use this method and it seems to work absolutley fine.

Fopllow the steps in this thread to gain root,

I was able to gain root while running ver 10.1.3 and I've seen many other members also able to do the same.

Huh. I can't get the .bat to recognize the device, despite installing the drivers and enabling ADB on the Kindle. However, when I do install the drivers, the installer looks like they install properly, yet I get a dialog that says "Drivers not installed successfully. Install manually." Or something to that effect. Thoughts?

Dassen

Mar 10, 2011
Nanuet
Got the same error , I just tried re installing the drivers a couple of times and it worked, I actually got an error message while installing the drivers once that read drivers installed unsuccessfully then tried to run the bat for the luls and that's when the root worked. xD

I dont really know what the deal is with the drivers but it seems like they arent that important... try re-installing them a couple times see if that helps.

Last edited:

orgproject

Sep 23, 2012
Help Me Please. I root KindleFire 2 gen

i root my Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) Software Version 10.1.3 by How to root tool Qemu http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893838

but i can't copy file .apk to folder /system/app and program Root Explorer show detail /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/System (r/o) and don't have Remount as R/W button

help me please.

pcwizkid1994

Nov 16, 2012
Milton
Can any one give a more detailed guide on how to move the .apk and change the settings to get it to work??

Would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Sent from my KF2 using xda app-developers app

433Mhz

Nov 12, 2009
Now that's ****ing great.

I tried rooting it a couple times without success. It always came down to the 5073 port error and after too many restarts it is increadibly slow plus the kindle fire logo is flickering on the screen every few seconds...

Edit:

OK after painfully managing to finally get to the "reset factory settings" it is working again. But I think this root method might not be working for me with Version 10.2.1

Last edited:

m1416

Dec 28, 2010
Root Kindle Fire 2 v10.2.1

Hi, I tried using [ROOT][TOOL]Qemu automated root [09/18/2012] Got the drivers installed succesfully and then ran the bat file but does not seem to work. My kindle fire 2 version is v10.2.1 anyone had success with this one yet?

Never mind I tried with a Samsung USB cable and it worked.

Last edited:

433Mhz

Nov 12, 2009
Is it possible, that Windows 8 64bit might be an issue? Installing the drivers was only possible after renaming the signed drivers by deleting the "signed_" part. the bat installer only recognizes the device after repluging it a couple times. Then I get a cmd line saying "root or "shell" but putting in the stuff from the video doesn't work.

wmccombs

Mar 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
Rooted Kindle Fire 2 fine....but

The root process went perfectly clean and it rebooted fine. Then I couldn't find instructions to install the Play Store. I finally found some that said to copy GoogleServicesFramework.apk to the Kindle and install, I did that cleanly. Then to copy vending.apk to /system/app/ and I did that and was able to change permissions to 664. I then rebooted the Kindle. It goes straight to the triangle. If you push the power button 5 times it reboots to the same thing. I did not try to flash TWRP to it because I saw some having problems with it. I have 10.2.1 on it. I have the proper drivers installed and each time the Kindle rebooted during boot the computer beeped that it recognized it. Since the triangle the PC no longer recognizes it, it does not show up in Device manager and it does not show up in explorer as connected. I think it is hard bricked but wanted to run it by everyone.

Sparkym3's root process went flawlessly on my Fire2, It only took a couple minutes to root and be booted to a working Kindle. I just screwed up the market process somehow.

Let me know your thoughts. Being that everything went so clean with rooting I have a hard time thinking it can be the drivers, cable, usb port.
I've rooted a phone and 2 tablets multiple times but never had this happen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is an exact description of the problem:
I get the Kindle Fire logo, sits there several seconds, reboots and the power light goes out and back on, then the logo comes up again, it flashes a couple of times then I get an orange triangle with an exclamation point inside Below that is a message stating "Your Kindle device cannot boot".
Below that is You can reset device to Factory defaults to fix this issue (all data will be deleted from the device"
<Menu options>
To reboot your device, press and hold the power button for 4 seconds and release.
To reset to Factory Defaults, press the power button 5 times in succession.

Well the 4 second thing does not work at all, more like 20 seconds. The pressing 5 times just reboots to the same problem and warning triangle. I tried fastboot commands but nothing.and my laptop no longer recognizes the Kindle and nothing is in Device Manager about the Kindle now. The fastboot command just says waiting for device. As I said above the root process went flawlessly and the Fire reboot 3-4 times and the laptop beeped each time that it saw it.

Any help is greatly appreciated

So, I'm totally lost. Maybe a frisbee at this point.

Last edited:

Kaparahia

Oct 22, 2009
Hi
I rooted my KF and install GO Launcher with method that was discribed in first post. But this method is usless to install Google Play. How can I install GP? (Sorry for my English)

thedarksavant

Jul 28, 2010
Spokane
The root process went perfectly clean and it rebooted fine. Then I couldn't find instructions to install the Play Store. I finally found some that said to copy GoogleServicesFramework.apk to the Kindle and install, I did that cleanly. Then to copy vending.apk to /system/app/ and I did that and was able to change permissions to 664. I then rebooted the Kindle. It goes straight to the triangle. If you push the power button 5 times it reboots to the same thing. I did not try to flash TWRP to it because I saw some having problems with it. I have 10.2.1 on it. I have the proper drivers installed and each time the Kindle rebooted during boot the computer beeped that it recognized it. Since the triangle the PC no longer recognizes it, it does not show up in Device manager and it does not show up in explorer as connected. I think it is hard bricked but wanted to run it by everyone.

Sparkym3's root process went flawlessly on my Fire2, It only took a couple minutes to root and be booted to a working Kindle. I just screwed up the market process somehow.

Let me know your thoughts. Being that everything went so clean with rooting I have a hard time thinking it can be the drivers, cable, usb port.
I've rooted a phone and 2 tablets multiple times but never had this happen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is an exact description of the problem:
I get the Kindle Fire logo, sits there several seconds, reboots and the power light goes out and back on, then the logo comes up again, it flashes a couple of times then I get an orange triangle with an exclamation point inside Below that is a message stating "Your Kindle device cannot boot".
Below that is You can reset device to Factory defaults to fix this issue (all data will be deleted from the device"
<Menu options>
To reboot your device, press and hold the power button for 4 seconds and release.
To reset to Factory Defaults, press the power button 5 times in succession.

Well the 4 second thing does not work at all, more like 20 seconds. The pressing 5 times just reboots to the same problem and warning triangle. I tried fastboot commands but nothing.and my laptop no longer recognizes the Kindle and nothing is in Device Manager about the Kindle now. The fastboot command just says waiting for device. As I said above the root process went flawlessly and the Fire reboot 3-4 times and the laptop beeped each time that it saw it.

Any help is greatly appreciated

So, I'm totally lost. Maybe a frisbee at this point.

So here's my wild ass guess (WAG). The fastboot "waiting for device" thing happened to me as well with my Fire (not a 2). My fix was getting root installed and getting it into fastboot mode on one computer then doing the fastboot commands and getting it out of fastboot on another computer.

I've seen posts where people get adb working and copy files with it, then issue a fastboot command, reboot the Kindle then fastboot can't see it anymore.

My WAG is somehow the USB drivers are confused by seeing a similar device but it's different enough for the driver to fail. The solution I've seen given to people on Windows is to uninstall and re-install the Fire USB drivers (I'm on Linux, so my solution was to install fastboot on my Powerbook and send the fastboot commands from it since it saw the device when Linux fastboot wouldn't).

These are probably just the rantings of a raving lunatic, but try to find another computer and see if you can run fastboot commands and get it out of fastboot.

kmodek

May 3, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Got the same error , I just tried re installing the drivers a couple of times and it worked, I actually got an error message while installing the drivers once that read drivers installed unsuccessfully then tried to run the bat for the luls and that's when the root worked. xD

I dont really know what the deal is with the drivers but it seems like they arent that important... try re-installing them a couple times see if that helps.

Sounds like you did the same thing as me. It's bugging me because I don't know EXACTLY what I did to finally get root access, I just know it worked! I had to reinstall drivers a couple of times and run the q program until it showed 'rooted'. Whatever I did, it worked and it's fun to mess with!

Kindle Fire 2

I haven't tried rooting mine yet, and with the way this thread has gone back-and-forth, I'm kinda afraid to.

As far as I can tell, there has been a lot of success on 10.1.3 and 10.2.4 using various tools.

1. Is there a definitive way to root 10.2.4 or do I just need to mess around with drivers and hope for the best? :rolleyes:
  2. Is there a way to get gapps (google play, gmail, etc.) on there safely?

I'll post again (or edit) when I get mine rooted but I'm going to hold off on getting gapps or other ROM's on it until those with better programming and troubleshooting abilities than I have a chance to figure it out.

:D

EDIT:
I was able to root my KFOT 10.2.4 and got Google Play, Calendar, and Gmail to work. Got ADW launcher to replace the default.

So, about a week ago, Amazon pushed an update that took my software to 10.2.6, which removed my root access and set my launcher back to their default.

The last root method that worked for me I found here.

My question is, will that method still work? (I assume it still works on the HD as well...)

On a side note, has the bootloader for KFOT been cracked yet? I'd like to get another ROM on it so I can use ICS in its full glory (if possible)

:good:

-skpacman

Last edited:

veganaize

Dec 23, 2013
root it

The quickest & easiest way to root a Kindle Fire 2nd gen (non-HD/HDX) firmware 10.3.1 - 10.4.6 (if your's is lower, upgrade) ... available here :

staticchaos.freeoda.com/fire/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Follow the steps in this thread to gain root,

To use a launcher download the apk of the launcher you want to use, after installing move the apk file to your "app" folder found in the "system" file and change permissions for that apk to user - rw ; group - r ; other - r. Once those steps are done simply reboot your kindle and a prompt will appear asking which launcher to use.

Credits to the respective thread starters and to bodi524 for sharing the info with me.
    [ list of recommended launchers ]
    -Go launcher ( EX or HD )
    -chameleon launcher
    -lightning launcher
    -nova launcher

there are a ton more to check out, just look around.