[Q] KF2 Rooted with cm11 and kitkat running

Search This thread

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
My kf2 was working fine but I ran out of room to install apps. I deleted unneeded apps still not enough room. I booted into twrp did a full wipe and now I can't side-load any roms to install. Twrp shows no OS installed. It will boot into twrp fine but nothing else. I have a fastboot cable. My computer recognizes my kf2 as an adb device but I can't seen to get anything to load. Some of the commands in KFFAID work but not all. I am trying to load cm11 and kitkat back. Any help would be appreciated.

James

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
My kf2 was working fine but I ran out of room to install apps. I deleted unneeded apps still not enough room. I booted into twrp did a full wipe and now I can't side-load any roms to install. Twrp shows no OS installed. It will boot into twrp fine but nothing else. I have a fastboot cable. My computer recognizes my kf2 as an adb device but I can't seen to get anything to load. Some of the commands in KFFAID work but not all. I am trying to load cm11 and kitkat back. Any help would be appreciated.

James

if sideload doesnt work then just do this, put the rom you want to flash and its gapps in the folder that adb is in, and run this while booted into twrp: adb push romnamegoeshere /sdcard/
then you can install the rom from inside twrp

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
didn't work

if sideload doesnt work then just do this, put the rom you want to flash and its gapps in the folder that adb is in, and run this while booted into twrp: adb push romnamegoeshere /sdcard/
then you can install the rom from inside twrp

Here is what happened. It said the device was not found. In the device manager it shows adb device under kindle fire.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Look on your task manager and kill every instance of adb.exe that you see and try again, I had that happen before when multiple instances were running. As long as it is in twrp then adb should work. If it continues to not work then uninstall the adb driver and if you see the MTP kindle device still there remove it as well, there might be a composite device that needs removing too, I find it a pita going between fastboot, recovery and whatever ROM os flashed if I use windows because of this, the drivers constantly have to be reinstalled when you change modes for me, hence why I avoid working with my kindle in windows and instead just use Linux. If you see any USB composite devices, check the hardware id's for a vid of 1949, if it has that then feel free to uninstall it. This may sound a bit complex, if you need more of an explanation just tell me.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
No luck

Look on your task manager and kill every instance of adb.exe that you see and try again, I had that happen before when multiple instances were running. As long as it is in twrp then adb should work. If it continues to not work then uninstall the adb driver and if you see the MTP kindle device still there remove it as well, there might be a composite device that needs removing too, I find it a pita going between fastboot, recovery and whatever ROM os flashed if I use windows because of this, the drivers constantly have to be reinstalled when you change modes for me, hence why I avoid working with my kindle in windows and instead just use Linux. If you see any USB composite devices, check the hardware id's for a vid of 1949, if it has that then feel free to uninstall it. This may sound a bit complex, if you need more of an explanation just tell me.

My computer only recognizes the kindle as an adb device in fastboot mode. I haven't been able to use any of the adb commands on it with any luck. It says device not found. This only shows in kffaid version 4.1.87-beta.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 29

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
*facepalm* you don't use adb commands with fastboot, you use fastboot commands with fastboot. When it is in twrp it should have adb access though...

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
I think I have a driver issue. I forgot to thank you for your help. If I could send the zip rom and gapps I could get it back to where it was. Is there anyway to start all over from the original kindle OS at this point?

Thanks you

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You coukd restore it in fastboot using kffa but it seems like unnecessary work. I would boot a ubuntu 13.10 live cd/usb and just attempt it from there since there won't be any driver issues.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
I tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it was to much trouble. I will try Ubuntu 13.10. I will have to learn the commands to use it.
Thanks

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it was to much trouble. I will try Ubuntu 13.10. I will have to learn the commands to use it.
Thanks

these commands should do the trick assuming the repos are all active in the downloadable section of the software updates control panel.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot
and after that the fastboot command will work but keep in mind to give it superuser privis with sudo or it probably wont work, i had forgotten that recently on my own pc since i don't deal with fastboot too often. ex: sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
I had to work all weekend. I tried to get access through ubuntu 13.10. I used the commands you provided (sudo apt-get update). This command worked fine. When I used this command (sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot) It said I had to enable universe. I did some research and got that working and tried to use this command again (sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot) then this one worked fine. Then I tried the last command with my kindle in fastboot mode flashing green light (sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product ). The message was cannot connect to otter-2 ... device. Same thing I have been getting all along.
I think when I wiped the system I cleared all the software to connect to any external device. I don't know if I can even get access to restore the original OS. If you haven't guessed by now I an a noob. I think you realized that with my adb commands with fastboot enabled. I got the impression you knew when I saw the *facepalm* comment the the beginning of you post. When my kindle is booted to twrp my computer does not recognize it. My computer will recognize as an adb device when in fastboot mode. My computer will recognize it as a kindle (with a yellow triangle in the device manager) when it is trying to boot with the white and blue logo. I don't know what to do at this point. Here is a screen shot with adb side load from twrp.

kindle.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_NormarAppImage_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_NormarAppImage_resized.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 28

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Interesting, seems that data didn't want to mount. Have you tried adb from Linux while in twrp? Just run "sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb" to install the command, if you can get adb access at least then I may be able to help fix this depending on what exactly is wrong. BTW I didn't exactly think you were a noon with that facepalm, I just see people get that misconception a lot about adb and fastboot commands. What exactly did that fastboot command report back, I was surprised it was an error when I saw otter2 in the error considering that was what that command was sort of supposed to report back.

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
Here is where I am. See below. Now where do I put the file in ubuntu so I can access it from the terminal window. I am running ubuntu from a live CD. I tried the push command but it says no such file or directory. I told you I was a noob!

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF recovery

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Since adb is in a system path must out it in the current directory you are CD'd into, if you left the terminal alone it should be in ~ (the home folder of the Ubuntu account) so photo the home folder and drop it in there and run "adb push filename /sdcard/"
Considering that /data doesn't want to mount and that /sdcard os technically in /data, that command might not work depending on what's going on. I reccomend seeing if you can first and if not goto the months and mount /cache if its not mounted already, and they pushing a twrp update into it to try to reflash twrp, its small enough I think it should fit into the cache, though I don't think a ROM would fit.

Last edited:

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
I installed ubuntu on my laptop with windows 7. It seems to work better. I put the files in the home folder and the user folder. I mounted the cache and ubuntu said instead of unable to mount it was unable to access kindle now. Here is the terminal window results.

user@user-portable:~$ sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
[sudo] password for user:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
android-tools-adb is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
user@user-portable:~$ adb push cm-10.2-20130908-UNOFFICAL-otter2.zip /sdcard/
cannot stat 'cm-10.2-20130908-UNOFFICAL-otter2.zip': No such file or directory
user@user-portable:~$

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Um OK well the filenames are case sensitive in Linux so lookout for that. Also if it was in your home folder then it should have worked as long as you didn't CD anywhere else in the terminal first.

getnby

Jun 1, 2013
Problem Fixed

I fixed my problem. I had to restart my kindle into recovery mode and connect the fastboot cable to the computer and kindle before it booted into TWRP. At that point while booted into TWRP I used the push command in ebuntu terminal to sideload cm11 and gapps. After I loaded them I installed them with TWRP and rebooted. Now it is restored to where it was when I wiped it. I will not do the advanced wipe again.
adb push cm-11-20140202-NIGHTLY-otter2.zip /sdcard/
adb push gapps-kk-20131119.zip /sdcard/
Thanks for your help stunts513

Last edited: