[Q] Is it possible to root a locked phone?

Search This thread

zkvvoob

Apr 21, 2010
Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought on the Internet a Moto G which turned out to be carrier-locked. Now, I have no idea to what carrier it is locked and so I am asking you this: apart from the obvious solution which is cellunlocker.net, is it possible to root the phone, install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod and use it with whatever carrier?

What woud you suggest for someone in our predicament?

Thank you!

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought on the Internet a Moto G which turned out to be carrier-locked. Now, I have no idea to what carrier it is locked and so I am asking you this: apart from the obvious solution which is cellunlocker.net, is it possible to root the phone, install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod and use it with whatever carrier?

What woud you suggest for someone in our predicament?

Thank you!
You can probably unlock the bootloader and root the phone, despite it's carrier locked. That won't remove the lock tho and you won't be able to use it on another carrier just like that.

On the other hand you can always buy an unlock code off ebay for 2 euro or so.

zkvvoob

Apr 21, 2010
You can probably unlock the bootloader and root the phone, despite it's carrier locked. That won't remove the lock tho and you won't be able to use it on another carrier just like that.

On the other hand you can always buy an unlock code off ebay for 2 euro or so.
Thanks, liveroy! Just a quick question as I've never had to do this, if you don't mind: does it matter that I don't know the carrier to which the phone is locked?

Ryan Romero

Feb 18, 2019
I have a E5 supra Cricket Phone. I want to keep the service with Cricket, I just want it Rooted. I have to wait 6 months with the phone - and the Motorola site wont let me do a OEM unlock. In developer mode it does let me turn it on.

Still possible to root? I am not interested in changing Rom, Simply having it Rooted. its a XT 1924-6

Note : its a spare phone, 10 Bucks a month - 4th line. Wife dropped it cracked screen. So not my main driver/ Main is a Tmobile Motorola Z2 Force that's Rooted and US cell Rom. Keep it at the house for house phone.

About the Carrier from the Original Question : The model Number like on my e5. : XT 1924-6 That dictates the Carrier. Look by the battery and google the number.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts