USB Jig not working on phone ICS

Search This thread

MiKenning

Nov 19, 2011
Schweinfurt
I am running Cyanogenmod 9 on my Galaxy S2 and I have, of course, the triangle thingy on the start up screen and a counter at 4. So I put my USB jig in while it is off, and Download Mode DOES load up, however the counter still stays the same.

What am I trying to accomplish? I'm trying to reset the counter, and get rid of the yellow triangle.

I could get rid of the triangle by flashing stock kernel which I will try and find but USB jig ain't working.

Any suggestions?

P.S., my phone's kernel is XWLP7

ahmad_zakout

Sep 11, 2007
Well the best way to use the jig is to turn off the phone. Take off the battery. Place the jig. Then place the battery. Give it a try and let me know. :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

hacktock

Apr 10, 2011
Isn't the jig basically needed when you're returning the phone to the service center to claim warranty? In that case you need to flash the stock ROM anyway before using jig.

Otherwise what's the big deal if the triangle is there? I don't get it.

αкαѕнα

May 15, 2011
in your fantasy...
You cant use JIG on ICS bootloader, You will need to flash old bootloader then use Jig.

Alternatively use the Triangle Away app.

Search.

I think this is so strange... I'm using Lite'ning ROM 2.9 which is based on XLP9 stock ICS...
And i can remove the triangle without any problem with my jig...

DSC_0106_2036.jpg

Anyway.. a jig is very nice to have if you brick your phone...

M

m.kochan10

Because u apparently have an old bootloader. Flashing a custom rom via CWM does not affect your bootloader. Only FW-packages do that. You can still have a custom rom based on ICS and old GB bootloader.

I've always reset the counter and got rid of the triangle this way:

1)Flash an old bootloader via Odin (u can find it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278)
2)turn the phone off and insert jig
3)Flash ICS bootloader back

Switching between bootloaders can be risky if installation process goes wrong, but I have never had any single issue with that. I've done it several times and it has always worked like a charm. (Doesn't matter if your device came with preinstalled ICS, for example my freshest handset was produced in april this year and thus it came with 4.0.3 by default - The method above still works on it.)

And BTW. I don't think this topic should belong this section.

Last edited:

JohnN6

Feb 16, 2009
London
Why the JIG doesn't work and how to make it work

The JIG that is commonly made/sold is a partial copy of Samsung's Anyway JIG BOX. It copied the box by putting a 301K resistor across pins 4&5 of the micro USB pins. This became well known.

The Bootloader was changed so that the presence of the Resistor is checked for during a short period immediately after flashing and ( I think ) it requires the USB power to be present.
If you make a USB to Micro USB cable with the 301K resistor in place as usual ( pins 4 & 5 ) and connect this to your PC and to the phone, the the JIG Cable will work with the current new style bootloaders exactly as before.

The nice thing is that it is now easier to make as as the micro usb was difficult to open and solder .. but the USB end has more space.
If you want to know more look at the Fairchild FSA9280A-88 Datasheet & 3200

ammar1514

May 26, 2012
you can use "triangle away" app to reset counter on ICS and if you are already rooted then just use mobile odin to flash ...that wont reset your counter

TWeaKoR

Nov 3, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S6
Xiaomi Poco F3
If you make a USB to Micro USB cable with the 301K resistor in place as usual ( pins 4 & 5 ) and connect this to your PC and to the phone, the the JIG Cable will work with the current new style bootloaders exactly as before.

I heard that Sammy had blocked this, didn't realise there was still a way to get it working! One thing though, where are you soldering the resistor if it's plugged into the PC?

i used this app to reset my counter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway&hl=en

Its for free somewhere on these forums though

Somewhere, I wonder where *eyes look up* :rolleyes:

JohnN6

Feb 16, 2009
London
One thing though, where are you soldering the resistor if it's plugged into the PC?

I cut open a mini-to-micro USB adaptor, and soldered a 301k resistor across the pins in the adaptor. I used sleeving to stop shorts from the resistor leads.

I used the adaptor with a standard USB-Mini USB 1m cable left over from another gadget.
John

Reactions: TWeaKoR

TWeaKoR

Nov 3, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S6
Xiaomi Poco F3
I cut open a mini-to-micro USB adaptor, and soldered a 301k resistor across the pins in the adaptor. I used sleeving to stop shorts from the resistor leads.

I used the adaptor with a standard USB-Mini USB 1m cable left over from another gadget.
John

Ahh good thinking. I was wondering since it'd probably be much harder to do with just a micro usb cable. Might try and make one myself this summer, hopefully I'll never need it but it could be a bit of fun. Cheers man :D

you can get it from here...the official thread for the app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

Yeah I know where to get it lol, was just referring to the fact that someone else already linked to the thread at the top of this page :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why the JIG doesn't work and how to make it work

The JIG that is commonly made/sold is a partial copy of Samsung's Anyway JIG BOX. It copied the box by putting a 301K resistor across pins 4&5 of the micro USB pins. This became well known.

The Bootloader was changed so that the presence of the Resistor is checked for during a short period immediately after flashing and ( I think ) it requires the USB power to be present.

The nice thing is that it is now easier to make as as the micro usb was difficult to open and solder .. but the USB end has more space.
    If you want to know more look at the Fairchild FSA9280A-88 Datasheet & 3200
    You cant use JIG on ICS bootloader, You will need to flash old bootloader then use Jig.

Alternatively use the Triangle Away app.

Search.
    One thing though, where are you soldering the resistor if it's plugged into the PC?

John