Note 2 boot loop, can't tell if rooted or modded

Search This thread

Ryutso

Jul 24, 2014
A friend of mine gave me a Note 2 to tinker with, but it just keeps booting to the "Samsung Galaxy Note II" screen and then rebooting.

I can get to Odin Mode, but I can't flash a new rom because I have no idea what the "stock" rom for this model is.

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
A friend of mine gave me a Note 2 to tinker with, but it just keeps booting to the "Samsung Galaxy Note II" screen and then rebooting.

I can get to Odin Mode, but I can't flash a new rom because I have no idea what the "stock" rom for this model is.

Well since it is a tinker toy no worries about knox. Just use the new NE2 tar and it should flash without any trouble. Not sure if it will cure the bootloop but most likely will.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ryutso

Jul 24, 2014
Well since it is a tinker toy no worries about knox. Just use the new NE2 tar and it should flash without any trouble. Not sure if it will cure the bootloop but most likely will.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Explain to me "knox" anyways.

EDIT: I flashed with the NE2 tar, installation apparently went great, but it's still bootlooping.

Last edited:

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Explain to me "knox" anyways.

EDIT: I flashed with the NE2 tar, installation apparently went great, but it's still bootlooping.

Odin custom recovery with reboot option off. When done disconnect from pc and pull battery. Boot into recovery mode (vol+, home, power) while inserting battery. Try flashing any custom aosp rom and see what happens.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

Ryutso

Jul 24, 2014
Odin custom recovery with reboot option off. When done disconnect from pc and pull battery. Boot into recovery mode (vol+, home, power) while inserting battery. Try flashing any custom aosp rom and see what happens.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

Flashed it in Odin with the reboot option off. Vol+, home, power takes me to an Android installation screen that fails about halfway in and it goes back into the bootloop. No recovery menu at all.

EDIT: Odin'd philz touch 06.07.9 so I'd have a recovery menu and installed aokp_l900_kitkat_unofficial_2014-01-19 from garwynn's site through that. It took me to a battery charging screen, then continued bootlooping.

Last edited:

lennykravitz2004

Feb 21, 2012
Where'd you go to high school?
Flashed it in Odin with the reboot option off. Vol+, home, power takes me to an Android installation screen that fails about halfway in and it goes back into the bootloop. No recovery menu at all.

EDIT: Odin'd philz touch 06.07.9 so I'd have a recovery menu and installed aokp_l900_kitkat_unofficial_2014-01-19 from garwynn's site through that. It took me to a battery charging screen, then continued bootlooping.

Not sure if you got this fixed (I see it's been a couple of weeks since this was posted)... if not, have you tried flashing Billard's MC2? You may need to do the reboot option off and then the vol+home+power thingy again.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

Ryutso

Jul 24, 2014

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org

What version did you try to flash and what was the log on Odin? (Can you please copy/paste?)
I need to see where you got stopped in the flash process.

Ryutso

Jul 24, 2014
What version did you try to flash and what was the log on Odin? (Can you please copy/paste?)
I need to see where you got stopped in the flash process.

I can't copy/paste the log because it was a couple weeks ago. Tried billard's MC2 stock rom through TWRP and it failed about halfway through installation.

I keep having to flash between TWRP and philz because TWRP won't let me connect to my laptop.

Here's the log of TWRP when it failed to flash billard's MC2 Stock ROM.

EDIT: After this flashing, it's not even turning on anymore with the battery plugged in. I have to have it connected to the charger, it'll boot to a battery charging screen and freeze there.

EDIT 2: For garwynn:
I downloaded this:http://rwilco12.com/Files/Devices/S...Unrooted/SPH-L900_MA5_853599_Stock_Nodata.exe

Plugged my phone in Odin mode, and then got this for the log:
Code:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> boot.img
<ID:0/003> cache.img
<ID:0/003> hidden.img
<ID:0/003> carrier.img
<ID:0/003> param.bin
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> sboot.bin
<ID:0/003> 
<ID:0/003> 
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

And on the phone itself it says SW REV. Invalid magic string.

Attachments

• recovery.txt
    26.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: