ICS now allows us to connect USB MIDI controllers to our NOTE!

Search This thread

richlum

Aug 9, 2010
Chiang Rai
I upgraded to ICS tonight and one of the best new features for me is the ability to now connect a USB MIDI controller via USB OTG.

This is awesome for me, and one of the areas that iOS absolutely kills Android.
Android still has a long way to go before it can offer anything like iOS for music creation, but this is a big step in the right direction.

I made a quick and rough video to show it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GygpDwYMVk

If you have a USB controller that is bus powered, then you can play your keyboard anywhere! :)

We just need more apps that support this feature now. I only know of one (the Grand Piano app I use in the video).
If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.

Cheers,
Rich

PS - I wasn't sure if this belongs in General, Accessories or Apps, so if it's in the wrong place, please move it.

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
I would kill to have AniMoog on an Android device with a midi controller. I play that APP for hours on end and is the only reason I keep the ipad. I'm an absolute sucker for Analog synth sounds. I may just skip the Ipad next go around and buy a Moog.

I think the display on the Note is too small for that app. Here's hoping Android gets some good synth apps soon.

Last edited:

richlum

Aug 9, 2010
Chiang Rai
Yeah, I think for live performance you would a 9 or 10" tablet. Although if you have the hardware controllers to adjust parameters, you just need the processing power of the device and be able to read the screen. You wouldn't need to use the screen to adjust fiddly knobs. But I doubt revs would write an appointment that requires an external device to be used effectively. :p

But if an app like Caustic had USB midi support, it would great for songwriting or noodling with ideas on the go.
The synthetic screens in that app aren't too cramped on the Note. I was even using it on the Galaxy S without a problem.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

silasrye

Jul 27, 2007
Korg Nanopad

I couldn't get the korg nanopad to work, (as in be recognized in USB MIDI Monitor)

This would be sweet for practicing my finger drumming on my lunch break or such.

I also have Maschine, but it blinks twice and then goes dark, I think it draws too much power. I plan to try a powered USB hub when I find the power supply.

z80pio

Nov 2, 2012
Galaxy Note to Yamaha PSR I425

Hi,
I tried to connect my Galaxy note to Y PSR I425 USB using OTG adapter, the USB Midi monitor application detects the presence (as it pops up from the background) of some device, but eventually says "No midi device connected". Any idea? Any other app works with midi devices?

Thanks

richlum

Aug 9, 2010
Chiang Rai
Does that Yamaha keyboard allow you to connect as a standard midi controller?
If you plug it into your pc, does windows recognise it, or do you need to install a driver for it?

I haven't found any apps yet except the piano and pipe organ by the same developer

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

z80pio

Nov 2, 2012
Does that Yamaha keyboard allow you to connect as a standard midi controller?
If you plug it into your pc, does windows recognise it, or do you need to install a driver for it?

I haven't found any apps yet except the piano and pipe organ by the same developer

Yes, I am able to connect my PSR-I425 to Windows 7 (64bit) OS. This keyboard uses Midi via USB. Ofcourse you need a driver that comes with the CD (also downloadable I guess).

richlum

Aug 9, 2010
Chiang Rai
If you need to install a driver on win7, then it's not a standard usb-midi input device. Standard devices don't need a special driver for windows to recognise it as a midi device.
Android only works with standard usb-midi devices.

beginner

Nov 18, 2005
vga output

I suppose it depends on each user. For me one of the killing points from the Note (and for tab p7300) is the capability to connect through the right connector an vga projector. This is awesome for me as I use this devices for my work. In parallel I use a pointer connected by blue tooth.

lmt125

Oct 26, 2010
If you need to install a driver on win7, then it's not a standard usb-midi input device. Standard devices don't need a special driver for windows to recognise it as a midi device.
Android only works with standard usb-midi devices.

I have a Yamaha motif es 8 that to connect to the computer needs drivers through the USB. What if I connect it through the midi ports with one of those midi usb would that work for android?

richlum

Aug 9, 2010
Chiang Rai
I'm not sure.
If you have one available without buying one, then it can't hurt to try...

BTW, the midi implementation on Caustic 3 is pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

lmt125

Oct 26, 2010
Unfortunately I don't have one handy. Funny thing is I had a USB Host cable and even an otg cable so it's cool I found one on amazon for like $8. Will try the midi USB and report back...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I upgraded to ICS tonight and one of the best new features for me is the ability to now connect a USB MIDI controller via USB OTG.

This is awesome for me, and one of the areas that iOS absolutely kills Android.
    Android still has a long way to go before it can offer anything like iOS for music creation, but this is a big step in the right direction.

I made a quick and rough video to show it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GygpDwYMVk

If you have a USB controller that is bus powered, then you can play your keyboard anywhere! :)

We just need more apps that support this feature now. I only know of one (the Grand Piano app I use in the video).
    If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Rich

PS - I wasn't sure if this belongs in General, Accessories or Apps, so if it's in the wrong place, please move it.