[APP] Cloud SMS Backup [v1.2.1 - 8/22/10]

Search This thread

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
About
I am not the original author of this program, it was created by computerjunkie. He graciously posted the source code when he stopped development, so I picked up where he left off. The original thread can be found here.

Cloud SMS Backup reads your SMS account and backs up the conversations by emailing them to an account of your choice. You can have them sent as separate emails each containing one of your conversations, or have all your conversations zipped up into one email. It also gives the options to empty your SMS account after backing up to prevent the slowdowns of having too many messages.

Requirements
This requires .NET CF 3.5.

Thanks go out to
computerjunkie for creating the original version
eboelzner for the sense UI
mohitsapru for the inspiration

Change Log
v1.2.1 8/22/10
  • Added support for localization. Will load a translation matching the devices language setting, and will fall back to English if it's unavailable. See below for instructions on how to create a translation.
  • Does not properly backup MMS messages yet, but will note that one was sent/received in the conversation.
  • Fixed another bug that caused backups to fail under certain circumstances
v1.2 8/21/10
  • First release by me.
  • Fixed several bugs that caused crashing.
  • Added option to send as one zip file.
  • Removed serialized backup file (since there was no way to restore from it). May be added back in a future version once restoring is complete.
  • Added option to save messages from the last three days when clearing SMS account after backup.
For past releases, see computerjunkie's original thread here.

Future Plans
  • Scheduling - automatically back up
  • MMS support - backup pics/videos that were sent
  • Restore - ability to restore from created backups
  • Have a suggestion? Let me know

Translations
Available languages
  • English (included)
  • Dutch (see attached nl.zip) Thanks mike2nl and LinusN
How to create a translation
  1. Download the attached en.ini file.
  2. Open in a text editor and translate everything after the '='. Do not change anything on the left side of the = or the translation will not work right.
  3. Save the file with a name based on the ISO 639-1 language code (ex. en.ini for English, de.ini for German, es.ini for Spanish, etc).
  4. Put in the application folder (\Program Files\CloudSMSBackup). The program will automatically use it if your device is set to that language.
Please post your translation if you create one so I can include it in the next release.

Screenshots
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• CloudSMSBackup-v1.2.1.CAB
    1.1 MB · Views: 939
  • Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,268
  • Screen02.jpg
    Screen02.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,239
  • email.jpg
    email.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,228
  • en.ini.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 199
  • nl.zip
    806 bytes · Views: 116
Last edited:

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi ken52787,

good to see that someone have picked up the good project. I hope that you have also a great success as computerjunkie. So i will test this, because i use the older version :).

ImmortalZ

Aug 23, 2010
Trivandrum
Hi,

I have a Samsung B7320. I installed .NET 3.5 CF and the app opens up alright. But I can't scroll through the UI or interact with the program at all. Am I missing something? Does it work with touchscreen equipped phones only?

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I have a Samsung B7320. I installed .NET 3.5 CF and the app opens up alright. But I can't scroll through the UI or interact with the program at all. Am I missing something? Does it work with touchscreen equipped phones only?

Yes, it was designed for touchscreen phones. Adding support for non-touch devices shouldn't be hard, I just never thought of it before now :confused:

That'll be on my to do list for next release

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
And here the dutch translation from the en.ini = nl.ini

EDIT 1:
nl.ini changed bacause 2 mistakes.

EDIT 2:
test is done and it is working. Great function and please hold the development up.

EDIT 3:
two screenshots added. One before and one after the process.
The yellow marked range is something for the about button, i think.

Possible you can make a menu button (bottom - right) with
backup and about selection...

Last edited:

computerjunkie

May 5, 2008
Great Work!

I just want to say that I am very happy that someone decided to take up and continue this project. Great work.

Thank you for the credit in the opening post and the app. That was very considerate of you. :)

I'll keep monitoring the thread because I love seeing the progress. Great job again!

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
and were stuck again LOL :(

In your error message i have found that:

Er is een foutmelding beschikbaar voor deze uitzondering, maar deze kan niet worden weergegeven omdat deze berichten optioneel zijn, en momenteel niet zijn geïnstalleerd op dit apparaat. Installeer NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab voor Windows Mobile...
dutch - Heb jij dit gedan?
wwe - Do you have done this?

Download the file and install it. Possible then you will have more details in the error message to help the OP.

Last edited:

LinusN

Aug 25, 2010
NL: dan is dit de boodschap dat ik krijg na Failure bij 45%
EN: Than this is the message i receive after Failure @ 45%

this is a message from a HTC TYTN
next i'll upload the message for a HTC Touch Pro 2 :)

Attachments

• error.txt
    867 bytes · Views: 8

LinusN

Aug 25, 2010
NL: dan is dit de boodschap dat ik krijg na Failure bij 45%
EN: Than this is the message i receive after Failure @ 45%

this is a message from a HTC TYTN
next i'll upload the message for a HTC Touch Pro 2 :)

--> as promissed the message on the HTC Touch Pro 2
(i have censored the phonenumber) but i guess the name is to long or something like that...

ow ... i see ... if you have a "\" in the name he cant resolve the name (= looking for a folder ...) i'll try again :)

Last edited:

LinusN

Aug 25, 2010
--> as promissed the message on the HTC Touch Pro 2
(i have censored the phonenumber) but i guess the name is to long or something like that...

ow ... i see ... if you have a "\" in the name he cant resolve the name (= looking for a folder ...) i'll try again :)

nice it works :p
so check that there is no \ in one of your contacts
some remarks for the new release:
- the textfilename = FirstnameLastname.txt (maybe better if it's Firstname_Lastname.txt)
- makes separate files for inbox and sent items... would be splendid if he recognizes that it's the same file and mixes the send and received files in 1

also uploaded the reviewed Dutch "language pack" :)

Attachments

• nl.zip
    806 bytes · Views: 3

LinusN

Aug 25, 2010
nice it works :p
so check that there is no \ in one of your contacts
some remarks for the new release:
- the textfilename = FirstnameLastname.txt (maybe better if it's Firstname_Lastname.txt)
- makes separate files for inbox and sent items... would be splendid if he recognizes that it's the same file and mixes the send and received files in 1

also uploaded the reviewed Dutch "language pack" :)

disregard remark number2 ... for some reason i have different conversation for 1 and the same person...
it seams some of the numbers are written +32 4*** and +324***
the program doesn't filter out the " " to make it one and the same file ...
that's the trouble with 1009 contacts and several switches of mobile + contact updates...

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Thanks for all the responses LinusN. I will make changes to help remedy the problems you're having.

Last edited:

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi Linus,

thanks for the NL review. I live now 10 years in the netherlands but not all is perfect. I help where i can. I hope it was not to much work. And it was optimized for the screen. Will check it now.

EDIT:
nl.ini with 3 bytes difference :).

LinusN

Aug 25, 2010
Hi Linus,

thanks for the NL review. I live now 10 years in the netherlands but not all is perfect. I help where i can. I hope it was not to much work. And it was optimized for the screen. Will check it now.

EDIT:
nl.ini with 3 bytes difference :).

not that many mistakes :)

think the only thing that doesn't really fit the size =
"Ruim SMS-account op na back-up"
if you want you can change it for instance to
"SMS-account legen na back-up"
maybe it fits better ;-)

Neoconair

Jul 3, 2010
Great app, only problem is some of my conversations have been split into two, with separate threads for +44 and 0 prefixes for the same numbers (similar to a problem posted above I believe).

Anything I can do to fix this?

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Here's a status update: I'm hard at work making some major modifications to the program. I'm hoping to have the new version out in the next few days (will probably be this weekend sometime).

I won't make promises as to whats going to be included since I'm not sure what I'll have working 100% by the next release but I attached a few screen shots so you can at least see what I'm working on.

I also attached a new translation file that includes everything I'm working on and even a few features that I'm planning for down the road. Hopefully some folks can translate and get it to me in time for the release so they're included by default.

Attachments

• preview1.jpg
    preview1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 33
  • preview2.jpg
    preview2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 29
  • preview3.jpg
    preview3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
  • en.ini.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 10

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Great app, only problem is some of my conversations have been split into two, with separate threads for +44 and 0 prefixes for the same numbers (similar to a problem posted above I believe).

Anything I can do to fix this?
That will (hopefully) be fixed in the next version.

A quick question though. Can you give me fake examples of the difference in numbers? Is it just one has a space after +44 and one doesn't, or do some just not have +44 altogether?