[Q] Get HTC One aka M7 (Snapdragon 600) or wait for Snapdragon 800 device?

Search This thread

bramgg

May 12, 2009
I am thinking of getting a HTC One. But, after seeing the spec sheet of Snapdragon, comparing the Snapsragon 600 (used in HTC One) vs the Snapdragon 800 the latter seems to be far better than the 600 series. Also, in the spec sheet the SD 600 is categorized under mid-high end phones, where the SD 800 is intended for super premium phones, tablets and smart tv's. Source: Spec sheet and Qualcomm Press Release

So, I'd like to know your opinions. Should I go for the HTC One, which seems a great phone overall, just not the best possible SOC (but great enough for a phone I reckon), or should I wait for one of the first Snapdragon 800 devices?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4303594

These days no matter which phone you buy, few months later something better will get released.
And besides that, at the moment snapdragon s4 pro is best soc available(until htc one comes out) and snapdragon 600 is suppose to be 40% better in performances, so I would definitely go for it...

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2

quattro_rs

Jun 21, 2008
I don't think we will see the 800 on phones at least not until a new chip can beat the 600.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bramgg

ejatds

Sep 24, 2011
at this point i honestly feel like phones don't really have a need to get any faster for day-to-day usage. it's more about software features. 1080p is nice, but it's not a MUST HAVE over a 720p. snapdragon 800 is a great bonus if you're in the market for a smartphone when it comes out, but getting the s4 pro or the 600 will probably not give you any lag or speed problems. i mostly root and install stock android on most of my phones so the 2 things i always look for are:

1. battery life
2. design

that's it. though i wonder if i'd rather stay on htc sense if i ever get an htc phone. everyone always bashes it but i find sense to be extremely good looking (even better than stock).

Reactions: yvibes and bramgg

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
S800 will come around Q4..And there isno end to it.I am sure when it comes out there will be talksof anoher high end soc..S900 maybe..Its only bcoz u know about it that you are waiting..you should not wait and besides s600 is blazingly fast and the fastest chip so far!

Ma$etas

May 25, 2010
Southern CALI
after the S800 the S900 then the S1000 etc... every few months there will be something newer and faster just like dual core, quad core and now the supposed 8core chips that are being developed or already developed ... as well as the SGS3 then SGS4 then SGS5 , note 3, then note 4 etc.. you get the idea if you wait for the newer thing thats "about to come out" then your gonna always end up waiting and never have anything ...

bramgg

May 12, 2009
Since I get a new phone every 2 years I could wait a couple of months for better, newer hardware though. SD800 devices are said to use Quick Charge 2.0 and Voice activation, which are ONLY available only for the SD800 devices. I read somewhere that there are already 55 SD800 devices in the works (source), so waiting a couple more months for a significant performance boost, even lower battery drain, and charging the battery up to 75% faster seems logical to me. (Not to mention encode/decode of 4K HD content, 50% boost in graphics and 100% boost in performance due to Adreno 330, 50% faster LTE bandwidth and clocked to 2,3GHz) Those are a lot of high percentages! Voice activation could be interesting, but I rarely use voice so that's not a big deal for me. Maybe in the future when Google Now becomes available in the Netherlands though.

The comments are understandable that you should not wait for the next best thing as you will end up having nothing. But a few more months for such a performance and feature boost, to me, is a better insurance my phone will keep up the next 2 years (hardware wise).

But thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:
Reactions: Option58

Trekest

Sep 9, 2009
Well, I've had early access to one running a final build in Canada. If it's performance you're worried about; I've ran Nenamark 2 on it, and it never went below 60 FPS. The result was 60.2 average.

The only major thing that could have made me wait though is the quicker charging feature, however I mostly charge my devices at night so charging times makes little difference to me.

Don't take my word for it though, I'm biased towards the One. I've been following it since it was just a rumor and had already pre-ordered it.

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Its the most poerful device rite now..what else do u want? Evn s4 wont be that big a difference..and plasticky :p

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
I'm definitely getting 600 snapdragon and past 800,1200. And getting 1600. LOL. There's always gonna be a better phone, I'm not gonna wait forever. :)

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Trekest

Sep 9, 2009
And XDA will be there to make sure there would be no difference between the two (maybe apart from storage).

bramgg

May 12, 2009
And XDA will be there to make sure there would be no difference between the two (maybe apart from storage).

Well, 'no difference' would be a little weird since they always upgrade something in the hardware department, otherwise it's just the same phone. I'm still hoping HTC will release a new One model, like the One+, but hopefully with the SD800 (and all the perks that go with it). That would be the perfect phone I think..

dethrat

Jan 2, 2012
Well, 'no difference' would be a little weird since they always upgrade something in the hardware department, otherwise it's just the same phone. I'm still hoping HTC will release a new One model, like the One+, but hopefully with the SD800 (and all the perks that go with it). That would be the perfect phone I think..

Until a couple of months down the line when something else that makes us drool is released.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
S800 will come around Q4..And there isno end to it.I am sure when it comes out there will be talksof anoher high end soc..S900 maybe..Its only bcoz u know about it that you are waiting..you should not wait and besides s600 is blazingly fast and the fastest chip so far!
According to some rumours there may be S800 phones out as early as July. I don't think anyone really knows.

shadowxaero

Apr 19, 2008
I say you wait, that's what I'm doing. Q4 we are going to see the snapdragon 800 and tegra 4, hell we might even see the Exynos 5 make its way to America maybe in the next Note (assuming it becomes LTE compatible). but these processors far out class what you would be getting in the One or S4, so what's 3 months.

Last edited:

SeacoastSteven

May 21, 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
And the Results are? :::drum roll:::

Greetings, Bramgg. After Googling the SAME question... it brought me to your post and this forum. I was fascinated by some of the insightful comments you got on this post, Bramgg. i'm a AT&T customer in the US and unless i plan on losing my fishing partner (and more importantly his boat!! lol) i'm pretty locked in with my service provider! Lol.

I currently am using an HTC Vivid (pausing for those reading this to groan) and i'm primarily still using that phone because i have been dragging my feet waiting for the Snapdragon 800. i happen to REALLY like HTC even though i can't deny the sluggish performance and lag times on the Vivid have been verrrry frustrating. I guess my frustration is part of the reason i have dragged my feet in selecting a new phone but honestly, i can't take it any more!! i need a new phone.... hopefully in the next few days.

I have a real fascination with the Snapdragon 800... and am curious if you waited for it or went with the 600 as you were contemplating? Are you pleased with the speed? This is kind of embarrassing to admit on an advanced user forum but i'm not even aware if the 800 is out yet and available on HTC devices. :confused: I'm not completely locked into HTC i guess, but i do like the 'Shortcut to Four Apps' feature on the lock screen and i do think they build a high quality phone compared to many of the other companies who flood the market with phones and discontinue them three months later.

Thanks in advance for any help you or others reading this can provide... i'm very anxious to have a phone that responds more quickly.

Steven

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Shadow, I'm fascinated (and slightly jealous! lol) of your knowledge on processors. i told Bramgg (in a post below on this thread) a few details about what i'm contemplating and why. May i get your thoughts please... when time permits, of course. i suppose i could wait a week or so if something specific had already been announced but i'm not sure i can wait much longer for a new device as i'm verrrrrry frustrated with the lagging on the HTC Vivid. The Vivid has a 1.2 GHz dualcore processor with 1GB of memory... but it's not cutting it. Texts, Apps opening... all verry slow.

Thanks in advance.
Steven

I say you wait, that's what I'm doing. Q4 we are going to see the snapdragon 800 and tegra 4, hell we might even see the Exynos 5 make its way to America maybe in the next Note (assuming it becomes LTE compatible). but these processors far out class what you would be getting in the One or S4, so what's 3 months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Life is short, buy the best one that is offered in the given moment!
    after the S800 the S900 then the S1000 etc... every few months there will be something newer and faster just like dual core, quad core and now the supposed 8core chips that are being developed or already developed ... as well as the SGS3 then SGS4 then SGS5 , note 3, then note 4 etc.. you get the idea if you wait for the newer thing thats "about to come out" then your gonna always end up waiting and never have anything ...
    I am thinking of getting a HTC One. But, after seeing the spec sheet of Snapdragon, comparing the Snapsragon 600 (used in HTC One) vs the Snapdragon 800 the latter seems to be far better than the 600 series. Also, in the spec sheet the SD 600 is categorized under mid-high end phones, where the SD 800 is intended for super premium phones, tablets and smart tv's. Source: Spec sheet and Qualcomm Press Release

So, I'd like to know your opinions. Should I go for the HTC One, which seems a great phone overall, just not the best possible SOC (but great enough for a phone I reckon), or should I wait for one of the first Snapdragon 800 devices?
    D
    Deleted member 4303594
    These days no matter which phone you buy, few months later something better will get released.
    And besides that, at the moment snapdragon s4 pro is best soc available(until htc one comes out) and snapdragon 600 is suppose to be 40% better in performances, so I would definitely go for it...

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2
    at this point i honestly feel like phones don't really have a need to get any faster for day-to-day usage. it's more about software features. 1080p is nice, but it's not a MUST HAVE over a 720p. snapdragon 800 is a great bonus if you're in the market for a smartphone when it comes out, but getting the s4 pro or the 600 will probably not give you any lag or speed problems. i mostly root and install stock android on most of my phones so the 2 things i always look for are:

1. battery life
    2. design

that's it. though i wonder if i'd rather stay on htc sense if i ever get an htc phone. everyone always bashes it but i find sense to be extremely good looking (even better than stock).