[Q] Which is better for performance: one big widget or many smaller widgets?

Search This thread

thinker5555

Aug 13, 2014
Hi all,

From a processing overhead and memory standpoint, I was wondering if it's better to have one big widget or many smaller widgets. I have a big widget that has a lot of functionality, but I've noticed that it tends to make my phone (Galaxy Note 3) jumpy, especially in things like games. If I remove the widget from my home screen, everything smooths back out. I know that Zooper takes all of the widget elements and renders them as a single unit, so I didn't know if maybe it would help smooth things out if I broke the widget up into smaller ones. Or would that just make it worse?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited:

ere1nion

Jul 15, 2013
Blainville
Sorry to hi-jack but have a similar question

Is it would be better to have one app, say zooper or UCCW taking care of all my widget or many app, Zooper, UCCW, simple calendar, beautifull widget. And in addition, one big widget or many small... would be on a lg g3.

Last edited:

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
Well I found that one big widget does a few things.

Multiple widget configuration:

First. A bunch of small widgets have redraw issues (widget disappears then redraws on the screen and reappears) Especially if widgets overlap.

Second. It becomes a nightmare for hotspots to not overlap.

Third. There's quit a few issues with which widget to keep up front and which widget to move to back. (Becomes a juggling act getting everything just right)

One big widget with lots of modules:

First. Way easier to make a apk for playstore.

Second: Very little redraw issues.

Third. Way easier to make multiple different colored versions of the same screen.

Fourth: Can get very confusing to yourself and others if you didn't name the modules as you went along.

Fifth: if you share your creation, the end user will need to change there background to add close as possible to your widget color, because there will be some type of margin somewhere on that screen, even if set to none.

So in conclusion, I find better performance with full screen pages. It makes my life easier. Plus list glitches from redraw.

Of course your milage will very though.

Reactions: ere1nion

Rickav

Feb 15, 2013
Sco'land
Samsung Galaxy A70
Hi all,

From a processing overhead and memory standpoint, I was wondering if it's better to have one big widget or many smaller widgets. I have a big widget that has a lot of functionality, but I've noticed that it tends to make my phone (Galaxy Note 3) jumpy, especially in things like games. If I remove the widget from my home screen, everything smooths back out. I know that Zooper takes all of the widget elements and renders them as a single unit, so I didn't know if maybe it would help smooth things out if I broke the widget up into smaller ones. Or would that just make it worse?

Thanks,
Jeremy

As someone who cut down from over 30 individual Zooper widgets to 9 large-ish ones, I'll have to say that I strongly prefer fewer larger ones. Previously, Nova often crashed and notified me it was due to any one of the 30 or so Zoopers which had crossed the limit of my device.
Furthermore, as @sandman7793 says quite rightly, redraws are a pretty major issue whenever booting up or switching between apps/homescreen pages.

In addition, it is much easier to manage large number of modules in fewer widget than jumping to and fro between several smaller ones to copy a slight adjustment you may have made to one of them. Simply put: fewer widgets, fewer hassle.

Reactions: ere1nion

ere1nion

Jul 15, 2013
Blainville
Thanks for the info. Guide me in one direction. As for battery life, one better than the other, since you tried both ways?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Rickav

Feb 15, 2013
Sco'land
Samsung Galaxy A70
Thanks for the info. Guide me in one direction. As for battery life, one better than the other, since you tried both ways?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Honestly, it's a bit hard to tell. I never tested Zooper in isolation for its effect on battery life. However, based on the performance improvements with fewer widgets, including decreased redraw issues and just fewer homescreen widgets to power at any one time, I'd say fewer widgets of little variety probably has better battery life (although, the effect may be minimal to none at all).

Sep 3, 2014
Is it possible to have one widget cover the entire screen? I thought 4x4 was the biggest available.

Also, is there a way of combining two widgets into one? For example, I have a 4x1 weather widget and a 4x3 weather bitmap icon which, by the sounds of it, would work better as a single widget.

thinker5555

Aug 13, 2014
Is it possible to have one widget cover the entire screen? I thought 4x4 was the biggest available.

Also, is there a way of combining two widgets into one? For example, I have a 4x1 weather widget and a 4x3 weather bitmap icon which, by the sounds of it, would work better as a single widget.

It is possible to have one widget over the entire screen, but it may depend on your launcher. Some launchers, like Lightning, Nova and Themer, allow for easy resizing of widgets to be as big or as small as you want. The best way to do it is to place a new Zooper widget on your home screen, and before you tap it to start editing it, resize it to the size you want. Then when you go into edit mode, Zooper will pick up on that size and behave accordingly. For example, I have a 6x5 and a 6x3, neither of which are available options when dropping a new widget initially.

As for combining widgets, I haven't found a good way of doing that yet. I think you'd have to create a new widget, import the one with the most elements into it, and then manually create the rest of the elements from the other widget and configure them. An alternative may be to export the .xml for both of them to a computer and add the two together there. This way you should at least be able to get all of the elements into one widget, but then when you load it into Zooper, you'll need to move the elements around because they'll probably overlap at that point.

Other than that, if someone knows of a better way, I'd be happy to hear it.

Referring back to my original question that kicked this thread off, thanks to everyone for your input. @sandman7793 especially had some great points, which I really appreciate. I've done some more digging, and it looks like some of my performance issue was actually related to Greenify rather than Zooper. I was seeing jumpiness in things like games because I had them under my list of apps to forcibly keep hibernated. Oops. :eek: Once I figured that out, everything is working smooth again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I found that one big widget does a few things.

Multiple widget configuration:

First. A bunch of small widgets have redraw issues (widget disappears then redraws on the screen and reappears) Especially if widgets overlap.

Second. It becomes a nightmare for hotspots to not overlap.

Third. There's quit a few issues with which widget to keep up front and which widget to move to back. (Becomes a juggling act getting everything just right)

One big widget with lots of modules:

First. Way easier to make a apk for playstore.

Second: Very little redraw issues.

Third. Way easier to make multiple different colored versions of the same screen.

Fourth: Can get very confusing to yourself and others if you didn't name the modules as you went along.

Fifth: if you share your creation, the end user will need to change there background to add close as possible to your widget color, because there will be some type of margin somewhere on that screen, even if set to none.

So in conclusion, I find better performance with full screen pages. It makes my life easier. Plus list glitches from redraw.

Of course your milage will very though.
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Jeremy

As someone who cut down from over 30 individual Zooper widgets to 9 large-ish ones, I'll have to say that I strongly prefer fewer larger ones. Previously, Nova often crashed and notified me it was due to any one of the 30 or so Zoopers which had crossed the limit of my device.
    Furthermore, as @sandman7793 says quite rightly, redraws are a pretty major issue whenever booting up or switching between apps/homescreen pages.

In addition, it is much easier to manage large number of modules in fewer widget than jumping to and fro between several smaller ones to copy a slight adjustment you may have made to one of them. Simply put: fewer widgets, fewer hassle.