MOTOACTV ROMs

Search This thread

CEnnis91

Feb 3, 2012
Rooting and updating your MotoActv is about to get significantly easier! No more waiting games for developers to update their ROMs or tools when Motorola pushes a new OTA; now you can do it yourself! I honestly have not seen these types of files ANYWHERE else, so I had to create these myself (with quite a bit of help from [mbm]). But enough blabbing, here are the files and how to use them:

(Note: all these methods assume we have full fastboot access! -- Which we still have at this point)

- Stock Images:
These are not just mere update.zips that you might be accustomed to elsewhere in Android. Nor are these mere fxzs that you might be accustomed to elsewhere with newer Motorola devices. They are in fact both and more. There are 3 main ways to flash these files onto your device, giving you options based on what OS you run and how comfortable you are flashing files to your device.

1) FXZ:
- Operating System: Windows
- Requires: RSD Lite with FXZ Support
- Instructions: Simply load up the file as any standard fxz (it is very straight-forward)

2) Recovery:
- Operating System: Anything that can mount your device
- Requires: The ability to get into recovery
- Instructions: Place the file on the sdcard, boot into recovery, flash as normal
- Note: Recovery does not wipe your device, it is suggested that you do so before flashing stock images

3) Fastboot:
- Operating System: Windows/Linux/Mac
- Instructions (Windows): Unpack the zip, run flash-all.bat (if it fails, run as administrator)
- Instructions (Linux/Mac): Unpack the zip, run flash-all.sh (it should already have proper permissions)

Miscellaneous Images:
These miscellaneous images are nothing you haven't seen before at this point, but their purposes are new, so they too require explanation.

1) AnyRoot:
AnyRoot is based on koush's AnyKernel in the sense that it unpacks and repacks the boot.img on the fly. However, as the name suggests, AnyKernel is meant for kernels, while AnyRoot, actually roots the device on the fly. This will work on any MotoActv device. It is flashed as a normal update.zip and everything is done in the background so you won't noticed much. However, for ease of access, the stock and rooted boot.img is exported to your sdcard in /sdcard/recovery/. Also note, that if you happen to flash AnyRoot over an already rooted device, nothing will happen as it has built-in error checking.

2) rebootRecovery:
rebootRecovery is another fxz type zip, the same as the stock and rooted images, except it can't be flashed in recovery (would be a little redundant don't you think?). This flashes a specially made misc.img by [mbm] that tells the device to reboot into recovery from boot. This means you can flash AnyRoot on any stock device.

How Tos / FAQs:
Now that you know what the files do, I can explain in short steps how to use these files to get what you want:

1) How to Return the Device to Stock?
- flash a stock image using any of the 3 methods
- you can now update via Motocast if you so wish

2) How to Root a Stock Device?
- update your device via Motocast to the latest version (suggested)
- place AnyRoot on your sdcard
- boot into fastboot, and flash rebootRecovery using either of the 2 methods
- flash AnyRoot in recovery
- reboot

3) How do I update my Rooted Device?
- update your device via Motocast to the latest version
- reboot

Q: After using rebootRecovery I can't get out of recovery!?
A: You are using an old recovery that doesn't clear the 'reboot-recovery' command; use the newer recovery: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB2.img

Q: What do these ROM offer over other custom ROMs?
A: Nothing, they are simply stock images, but you can upgrade with them.

Q: How much battery should I have when I flash?
A: Performing any kind of these flashes will drain at least 10% of your battery, I wouldn't suggest you flash below 60% ESPECIALLY IF YOU FLASH rebootRecovery!

Q: What happens if I flash a 16gb zip on my 8gb or visa-versa?
A: Don't freak, it will still boot, but it's not the best thing in the world to do, just go back and flash the correct model zip.

Q: Can I extract the images from your zips and flash them my own way?
A: yep (couldn't really think of anything else to say)

Q: I manually flashed the stock-boot.img from AnyRoot, and now I can't update. Why?!
A: The boot.imgs need to be truncated before they can be flashed to correctly work with Motorola's updates, just use the stock images.

Q: What's next?
A: HyprActv -- What's this?

Stock Images (w/ md5sums):
8gb-NA: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_1710_8GB_NA.zip (5e228bf56a67aced012c8cbb2d7f7c76)
16gb-NA: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_1710_16GB_NA.zip (21b067dc629f7ccd18b43799d8d5fb17)
8gb-EU: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_1710_8GB_EU.zip (5b79a46d87728303fc2c920eec71c2e8)

Miscellaneous Images (w/ md5sums:
AnyRoot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_AnyRoot.zip (2f867b006da42865ef861094db0eb6e6)
Reboot Recovery: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_RebootRecovery.zip (1623c9c61462db9bb20b55bc8f1144aa)

Mirror (thanks Iownox!): http://www.androtransfer.com/?developer=lownox&folder=MotoACTV

Last edited:

Moose8106

Nov 3, 2008
Orland Park
I rooted and flashed in recovery (the stock 4.55.97 and the the rooted version 4.55.97) and I stay on 4.55.78 no matter what! The flashes go through successfully... But nothing has changed and the System version still says 4.55.78... But like I said, the flashes both completed! I did a factory reset... and the updater-script wipes system, so what could be my issue?

CEnnis91

Feb 3, 2012
I rooted and flashed in recovery (the stock 4.55.97 and the the rooted version 4.55.97) and I stay on 4.55.78 no matter what! The flashes go through successfully... But nothing has changed and the System version still says 4.55.78... But like I said, the flashes both completed! I did a factory reset... and the updater-script wipes system, so what could be my issue?

It sounds like you flashed that old boot.img. Do you have the battery percentage in the status bar? According to TheEndGame7 that is another surefire way to tell if you are on 4.55.97, if you used any of the root tools, it's possible that they automatically flash the old boot.img.

Reactions: moonzbabysh

Moose8106

Nov 3, 2008
Orland Park
It sounds like you flashed that old boot.img. Do you have the battery percentage in the status bar? According to TheEndGame7 that is another surefire way to tell if you are on 4.55.97, if you used any of the root tools, it's possible that they automatically flash the old boot.img.

I think I did flash the old boot.img (root tools :O ). I'll try flashing the modified boot img again. Thanks! I had no idea the root tool took me back to the old boot img

innovatelife

May 30, 2009
Houston
I wiped data / cache and used recovery (b) to install the rooted-4.55.97 zip and didn't have any luck either. I did not use the root tools to flash. Also wiped dalvik cache after and fastboot -w for fun.

CEnnis91

Feb 3, 2012
Update

There are "new" instructions that might fix the issue where the rooted 4.55.97 appears to not flash. Simply wipe the boot.img image before you flash. And don't use the root tools until they are updated.

Also, if you have success, please post it. Usually "Thanks, it works" is annoying, but in this case where I don't have the device, I need to make sure this is working on some level.

simx

Oct 16, 2005
I formated everything from recovery, now I got stuck with Moto logo with no animation when it starts, how to get out of this?
NA

NORCALkID

Jun 23, 2011
Is there any mirrors for the download of these roms? the dropbox links are down

simx

Oct 16, 2005
Success

CEnnis91
I was lucky the second time, first time I succeeded to upgrade to rooted 4.55.97 but for some reason I didn't get the battery percentage on the status bar but all other issues are OK and status indicated version number 4.55.97, I repeated flash from recovery but after wiping and remounting all folders, this time for stock 4.55.97
Now I'm on stock 4.55.97 with battery percent on status bar and syncing from my mac.
thanks CEnnis91
NA

innovatelife

May 30, 2009
Houston
I went into recovery>mounts, and didn't see any wipe for boot. I took a shot at system since I had already wiped cache and data. Didn't seem to help either. Tried 'fastboot erase boot" and re-flashed. No go. Couldn't start back up the device at all. Tried flashing the latest rooted image using "fastboot flash boot boot.img". No go.

I messed around trying to get the device to boot back up for a while, but it won't even charge right. Only charges long enough to kick off the Motorola 'M', and that is it. On attempts at loading fastboot, I just keep getting an error saying that the battery is low. I know I can only blame myself for this. No fastboot access and no adb access. All attempts at resetting the device have failed.

Before I attempted all of this, my battery was full. Unfortunately, wouldn't charge anymore even plugged into the wall. Any ideas?

Hopefully nobody else makes my mistake.

moonzbabysh

Jul 17, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Man I can't wait till this is perfect, you guys are fricken awesome. I raped your thanks buttons op lol

MoPhoACTV Initiative

Last edited:

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Will be working on this tonight. I just found out how to make the flash script clear cache and dalvik for you, pre-install. That'll probably save some headache, but it works only in edify format. Not sure what the stock recovery uses...

Anyways, I'm home! :)

CEnnis91

Feb 3, 2012
Will be working on this tonight. I just found out how to make the flash script clear cache and dalvik for you, pre-install. That'll probably save some headache, but it works only in edify format. Not sure what the stock recovery uses...

All recoveries will now use edify, amend is old and depreciated, you will only find that on old devices.

tansoftware

Sep 29, 2004
Toronto
Corrupt Kernel...

I went into recovery>mounts, and didn't see any wipe for boot. I took a shot at system since I had already wiped cache and data. Didn't seem to help either. Tried 'fastboot erase boot" and re-flashed. No go. Couldn't start back up the device at all. Tried flashing the latest rooted image using "fastboot flash boot boot.img". No go.

I messed around trying to get the device to boot back up for a while, but it won't even charge right. Only charges long enough to kick off the Motorola 'M', and that is it. On attempts at loading fastboot, I just keep getting an error saying that the battery is low. I know I can only blame myself for this. No fastboot access and no adb access. All attempts at resetting the device have failed.

Before I attempted all of this, my battery was full. Unfortunately, wouldn't charge anymore even plugged into the wall. Any ideas?

Hopefully nobody else makes my mistake.

This is a classical case of a corrupt Kernel. Not that the images are corrupt, but somewhere along your update, your boot.img did not install the kernel properly and now you have a broken power manager within kernel.

What I would do is the following:

Hook your watch to the charger and let the M sign show up.

Even if it hangs on the M, leave your watch hooked over night.

Try downloading an older image and use fastboot to erase everything and then flash everything back again. This should return your watch to a working state again.

You may then choose to customize it as you see fit.

Reactions: innovatelife

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Root tool > "return to stock" :)

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA-funded carrier pigeons

Moose8106

Nov 3, 2008
Orland Park
CEnnis91
I was lucky the second time, first time I succeeded to upgrade to rooted 4.55.97 but for some reason I didn't get the battery percentage on the status bar but all other issues are OK and status indicated version number 4.55.97, I repeated flash from recovery but after wiping and remounting all folders, this time for stock 4.55.97
Now I'm on stock 4.55.97 with battery percent on status bar and syncing from my mac.
thanks CEnnis91
NA

I'm about to try this.. but it's making me think... Do you think the updater-script doesn't correctly format system? Think about it... our devices say 4.55.97 (mine changed to that after a reboot or two), and we only had partial features... sounds like something isn't wiping correctly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting and updating your MotoActv is about to get significantly easier! No more waiting games for developers to update their ROMs or tools when Motorola pushes a new OTA; now you can do it yourself! I honestly have not seen these types of files ANYWHERE else, so I had to create these myself (with quite a bit of help from [mbm]). But enough blabbing, here are the files and how to use them:

(Note: all these methods assume we have full fastboot access! -- Which we still have at this point)

- Stock Images:
    These are not just mere update.zips that you might be accustomed to elsewhere in Android. Nor are these mere fxzs that you might be accustomed to elsewhere with newer Motorola devices. They are in fact both and more. There are 3 main ways to flash these files onto your device, giving you options based on what OS you run and how comfortable you are flashing files to your device.

1) FXZ:
    - Operating System: Windows
    - Requires: RSD Lite with FXZ Support
    - Instructions: Simply load up the file as any standard fxz (it is very straight-forward)

2) Recovery:
    - Operating System: Anything that can mount your device
    - Requires: The ability to get into recovery
    - Instructions: Place the file on the sdcard, boot into recovery, flash as normal
    - Note: Recovery does not wipe your device, it is suggested that you do so before flashing stock images

3) Fastboot:
    - Operating System: Windows/Linux/Mac
    - Instructions (Windows): Unpack the zip, run flash-all.bat (if it fails, run as administrator)
    - Instructions (Linux/Mac): Unpack the zip, run flash-all.sh (it should already have proper permissions)

Miscellaneous Images:
    These miscellaneous images are nothing you haven't seen before at this point, but their purposes are new, so they too require explanation.

1) AnyRoot:
    AnyRoot is based on koush's AnyKernel in the sense that it unpacks and repacks the boot.img on the fly. However, as the name suggests, AnyKernel is meant for kernels, while AnyRoot, actually roots the device on the fly. This will work on any MotoActv device. It is flashed as a normal update.zip and everything is done in the background so you won't noticed much. However, for ease of access, the stock and rooted boot.img is exported to your sdcard in /sdcard/recovery/. Also note, that if you happen to flash AnyRoot over an already rooted device, nothing will happen as it has built-in error checking.

2) rebootRecovery:
    rebootRecovery is another fxz type zip, the same as the stock and rooted images, except it can't be flashed in recovery (would be a little redundant don't you think?). This flashes a specially made misc.img by [mbm] that tells the device to reboot into recovery from boot. This means you can flash AnyRoot on any stock device.

How Tos / FAQs:
    Now that you know what the files do, I can explain in short steps how to use these files to get what you want:

1) How to Return the Device to Stock?
    - you can now update via Motocast if you so wish

2) How to Root a Stock Device?
    - update your device via Motocast to the latest version (suggested)
    - reboot

3) How do I update my Rooted Device?
    - update your device via Motocast to the latest version
    - reboot

Q: After using rebootRecovery I can't get out of recovery!?
    A: You are using an old recovery that doesn't clear the 'reboot-recovery' command; use the newer recovery: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB2.img

Q: What do these ROM offer over other custom ROMs?
    A: Nothing, they are simply stock images, but you can upgrade with them.

Q: How much battery should I have when I flash?
    A: Performing any kind of these flashes will drain at least 10% of your battery, I wouldn't suggest you flash below 60% ESPECIALLY IF YOU FLASH rebootRecovery!

Q: What happens if I flash a 16gb zip on my 8gb or visa-versa?
    A: Don't freak, it will still boot, but it's not the best thing in the world to do, just go back and flash the correct model zip.

Q: Can I extract the images from your zips and flash them my own way?
    A: yep (couldn't really think of anything else to say)

Q: I manually flashed the stock-boot.img from AnyRoot, and now I can't update. Why?!
    A: The boot.imgs need to be truncated before they can be flashed to correctly work with Motorola's updates, just use the stock images.

Q: What's next?
    A: HyprActv -- What's this?

Stock Images (w/ md5sums):
    8gb-NA: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_1710_8GB_NA.zip (5e228bf56a67aced012c8cbb2d7f7c76)
    16gb-NA: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_1710_16GB_NA.zip (21b067dc629f7ccd18b43799d8d5fb17)
    8gb-EU: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_1710_8GB_EU.zip (5b79a46d87728303fc2c920eec71c2e8)

Miscellaneous Images (w/ md5sums:
    AnyRoot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_AnyRoot.zip (2f867b006da42865ef861094db0eb6e6)
    Reboot Recovery: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5849675/android/f100/MA_RebootRecovery.zip (1623c9c61462db9bb20b55bc8f1144aa)

Mirror (thanks Iownox!): http://www.androtransfer.com/?developer=lownox&folder=MotoACTV
    The 4.55.97 files are up for real this time (no one really needs 4.55.78 at this point), sorry for the delay, thanks for all the help, and enjoy. =)

*crosses fingers*
    Yes it is deeper. You would need an app on the iPhone and an app on the motoactv. Writing the app is not the problem. Getting a complete implementation of blues on the motoactv is.

And like I said, I can write the iPhone app and maybe the android app but the blues install / implementation is way over my head.

I have been heavily working on the bluetooth stack in MotoACTV. The blues stack supports low energy devices. The BT hardware chipset supports v4.0 LE devices. This was all confirmed via JTAGing the watch. I am in the final stages of modifying the stack to support the following profiles:

- DUN
    - PAN
    - HID INPUT
    - SINK
    - AUTO

with no restrictions whatsoever.

Tested a BT mouse and keyboard, worked perfectly.

Once this is done and posted, I will start working on getting USB HOST & OTG support enabled on MotoACTV as well.

All recoveries will now use edify, amend is old and depreciated, you will only find that on old devices.