DualRomX2 = 4 roms on emmc(V6) 6-9-11

Search This thread

Conap

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 1, 2010
For those with phones other then Incredible...The new app that will replace this system and work with multiple phones is in the market. Check out my sig for our website with more info.

Does not work with CWM2.5...Tested with CWM 3.0.8 ONLY WILL NOT WORK WITH OTHER RECOVERIES

A super big thanks to xda dev drellisdee since he's the one who showed me how to mount the img's at boot time. Check out his modified recovery here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=758874

Thanks also too:
Team ADX-I used my personal account to post since it has the dev privaliges but consider this a Team ADX endeavor.
Thanks to DHowett for furthering the idea of what we can do with the dualbooting
Thanks to UnCorrupted for giving me the original interest in Dual Booting roms long, long ago!!
Thanks to VZW for taking so much of my paycheck everymonth!!
Thanks to all who tested and gave feedback on my original DualRom project and to all who will do the same with this one.
Thanks to all the Dev's that give us a reason to want to use more then 1 rom.

DRX2 is an upgrade from DualRom. You can fit up to 4 roms on emmc(and one on the phone if you want) It uses the phone as an installer. I decided to go towards DHowetts idea of mounting img files on the emmc. Emmc will stay as fat32 the way it comes on the phone. This system is fairly simple and so far has worked with all rom's tested.

Tested with:

MIUI
CM7
SkyRaider 4.0
GingerSense Remix-B1-INC
Uber-z_RC3-1
Nil's Busines Sense
Leaked GB rom
WarmZ
uber kingdom sense 3.0 (1.0.1)
mikmik's beta 3 (sense 2.1 w/ 3.0 additions)
Incubus's Stock 2.0
mytouch 4g doubleshot rom
stock kingdom 3.0 rom

Post what rom's you boot successfully so they can be added to the list!!!

As you can see that's a good variety and it should work with every rom.

Does not work with CWM2.5...Tested with CWM 3+ Might work with other recoveries.

Installation

Installation is simple. The roms will be stored on emmc in folders labeled rom1, rom2, rom3 and rom4. each folder will need a system.img, data.img and cache.img. You can flash createimageforrom1.zip to setup the folder and img's for rom1 and the the same for the other roms up to rom4. The zip's i included create a 270mb system.img, a 1000mb data.img and a 120mb cache.img. If you would rather manually create these and make your own sizes do:

adb shell
cd emmc
mkdir rom1 (or rom2, rom3, rom4)
cd rom1
dd if=/dev/zero of=system.img bs=1M count=270
dd if=/dev/zero of=data.img bs=1M count=1000
dd if=/dev/zero of=cache.img bs=1M count=120

NOTE: Some rom's the dd command acts differently and your img may come out really small. If that's the case just add busybox to the beginning of the dd command.

the last number on the last three commands is the size of the image it will make. These take a while to make. If you use the zips i included expect to wait at least ten minutes for the img's to be built. Once they are built on the emmc you can flash different rom's to them without deleting/recreating them so you should only need to do this step once.

Once you have the img's setup choose your rom and your kernel or any other ad on's that you want installed. Flash the rom as normal(wipe phone, install zip from sd) NOTE: this will obviously overwrite your existing installation so if you want to keep that you will need to make a nand to restore when you are done. Next flash any ad on's or kernel zips you want installed as normal. Then just flash the zip for rom1installer that i've included. You can use rom1installer or rom2installer, etc to pick which slot you want the rom installed to. They don't have to be installed in any order. You can use just rom4 if you want just make sure you have setup the img's for the rominstaller zip you use. The installer zip will take 5 to 8 minutes to install so be patient. After that reboot your phone and it will boot to the rom you just installed. You can then use the DRX2 app to boot between all installed roms. If you restore your nand to your phone or install another rom to the actuall phone then run the phoneinstaller.zip to set that rom up to use the DRX2 app as well. So to recap and make it simple:

Does not work with CWM2.5...Tested with CWM 3+ Might work with other recoveries.

1. flash createimageforrom1.zip(or rom2, rom3, rom4) or all of them if you want lots of roms(you only need to do this if the img's are not already on your emmc)

2. flash your rom of choice and any add on's you want. (rember to wipe phone first and backup if nescasary) If you want to move the rom your currently have installed on your phone to one of the rom slots on emmc just skip this step.

3. flash rom1installer.zip (or rom2, rom3, rom4) whichever slot you want it installed too.

4. reboot

5. If you are also going to use a rom on your phone normally then flash or restore a nand of the rom you are keeping on phone. Then flash phoneInstaller.zip. This will install the DRX2 app and copy your phone rom's boot.img to emmc so the app can access it when you want to boot back to the phone rom.

Upgrading roms

rom1upgrader.zip(and rom2,rom3,rom4) can be used to upgrade your rom on emmc. These haven't been well tested. I did test with miui and a GB Sense 2.1/3.0 rom. Using these would be considered doing a no wipe update. If you want to wipe use the rom1installer.zip's. Step are as follows:

1. Wipe phone flash update and any add-on's

2. flash rom1upgrader.zip(or rom2,rom3,rom4) Make sure you flash the one where the rom your upgrading is installed

3. Reboot.

These could also be used if you want to flash add-ons. Flash the rom you currently have installed, flash the add-on, then flash the rom1upgrader. Example:

I have cm7 nightly 90 on slot1

I wipe phone, flash cm7 nightly 90 to phone, flash any add-on's i had flashed previously, flash any new add-on's, flash rom1upgrader.zip

Note: There is definitely a possiblity of typo's in one of the many scripts i had to write for this stuff so if you do have a problem that you post about please post which slot you have the rom installed too. Thanks.

DRX2 app

drx2.png
drx2a.png
drx2b.png

DRX2 works similar to DRSettings app. Push the button of the rom you want to boot too!!! simple enough right? Push menu for options to set the names of the rom's you have installed. If you set a name for Rom1 while booted in Rom1 the name will show when you boot to rom2, 3, or 4 so you only have to set the names once. There is also an option under menu to mount or umount emmc to pc. I added this because the one downfall of this system is the emmc does not mount to pc when using the mount disk drive options normally. Remember don't delete or move the img's of the rom your booted too.

Additional Scripts
bootRom1.zip, bootRom2.zip, etc...these zips are for the off chance you get stuck in recovery(i.e boot.img did not flash correctly) This shouldn't happen but I like to be safe especially if your not near a pc to fix it. You can flash these zip to boot into any of the 4 roms you have installed from recovery. Of course they will only work if you have a rom installed in the slot you are trying to boot too.

Downloads
Disclaimer-FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK. You are responsible for what you do to your phone.

All the files you need are in 1 small package!!
V2 Changelog
DRX2 app installed to data/app instead of system/app so that GB sense rom's install it
V3 Changelog
Fixed app's not installing that i broke in v2

V4 Changelog
Fix for AOSP rom's not mounting as ext3(They should work ok as ext2 so if you already have it installed I wouldn't rush to change it. If you start to experience any data corruption then you can update those roms. These won't really affect the sense based rom's as they were already mounting as ext3.)

MultirominstallersV4.zip --old

V5 Changelog
Added a 5 second sleep on boot to give time for phone to mount the partition.

MultiromInstallersV5.zip --old

V6 Changelog
Added upgrader's in with the main package
Switched to ext2 for system.img and added ext2 datadata.img for lag improvements
Note: V6 Requires you to reflash the createimgforrom.zips because of the changes in the setup of the img's.

MultiromV6.zips --latest
Zip's to switch rom's in recovery--Now inclueds boot phone rom zip(I.E. boot-rom1.zip)

AnyKernelUpdater.zip's for DRX2 courtesy of tiny4579
tiny4579 made up some nice zips to replace the kernel on the emmc rom's. You don't even need to be booted into the rom you want to update the kernel on. Take the zImage from kernel/zImage and the files from system/libs/ in the kernel.zip that you downloaded and drop them in the same folders in these zips. These directions probably suck so if I confused you just ask!!!!

Rom1KernelUpdater
Rom2KernelUpdater
Rom3KernelUpdater
Rom4KernelUpdater

Nothing better then user contributions to a project like this so if you come up with something you'd like to share let me know!!!

Upgraders

Upgrader's now bundled in with the main package

Note: Unzip the multirom.zips to get to the flashable zips.

UnInstalling DRX2
If you want to install a new rom to a slot already in use then just follow the instructions I gave above. The scripts will wipe the img files at install.

If you want to completely uninstall the system just delete the folders off your emmc storage!!
Make sure your booted into a rom installed normally on the phone first!!

Additional thoughts

If the rom does not boot try installing and booting it on the regular phone first.

Any time your copying data from one place to another corruption can occur. If it doesn't work try it a second time. If you have to try again make sure to wipe the phone and reinstall the rom before re-running the installer scripts.

Install all add-on's, new kernels, flashable themes before running the installer script.

You can run the rom on the phone as normal, set it up, try it out and then move it to the emmc slots at any time by running an installer script. It will copy your data over also. In the case that you might want to check the rom out or see how a flashable them looks before installing it to one of the emmc slots.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
has this been tested with sense 3.0 because it seems like .img's are too small

I tested with gingersense remix which is sense2.1/3.0 i believe. The system.img i put was 270mb's which is larger then what's on the phone so if it fit's on the phone it will fit on this. That being said you can make the img's whatever size you want but the current install process requires that they be installed to the phone first so you will still have that size restriction.

Edit: If someone wanted to make a rom that was bigger then the phones normal partitions they could just package it in the img and just drop it onto the emmc. If any dev's have a rom that's too large for the phone and want to go that route they can contact me and I can help them make the boot.img for it. My goal was just to make install as universal and simple as possible.

Reactions: justjayhere

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
I tested with gingersense remix which is sense2.1/3.0 i believe. The system.img i put was 270mb's which is larger then what's on the phone so if it fit's on the phone it will fit on this. That being said you can make the img's whatever size you want but the current install process requires that they be installed to the phone first so you will still have that size restriction.

Edit: If someone wanted to make a rom that was bigger then the phones normal partitions they could just package it in the img and just drop it onto the emmc. If any dev's have a rom that's too large for the phone and want to go that route they can contact me and I can help them make the boot.img for it. My goal was just to make install as universal and simple as possible.

ill definitely be pming you

todd3835

Feb 13, 2008
So does this still essentially use up all the EMMC so it's not usable for anything else? or does it only use up what it needs?

Reactions: multiplash

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
Coupled of questions.. sorry if I missed the answers to these questions:

*Does this erase the EMMC, or just adds the necessary "slots"?

*Does this erase your current Rom.. just trying to wrap my head around this...

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
So does this still essentially use up all the EMMC so it's not usable for anything else? or does it only use up what it needs?

Good questions...not this only uses what you put on it. With all 4 rom's installed you will only have about 500mb's left though. but you could install just 1 or 2 rom's and still have a couple gb's left to use. The only "problem" i've seen is that the emmc does not mount to pc correctly but this can be fixed by using the mount emmc options in the app i provided.

No does not erase anything on the emmc...just add's the folders and img's

The rom's do get installed to the phone like a normal install and then are copied into the img's. This is so the different rom's with different updater scripts will all install correctly and then just get moved to the img's. It will erase your current rom but you could either nand the current rom(which you should do anyway) and then restore it or you could just use the rom1instaler.zip (or rom2,rom3,rom4) to move your current rom to the emmc. It will copy all of your data and stuff over too. Then you can continue to install the other roms you want. Then if you want to put a rom back on the phone normally you can do that too.

Last edited:

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
Okay... one more question: let's say I have a Rom installed in one of the slots and I want to flash a mod to that particular Rom... how is that achieved?

todd3835

Feb 13, 2008
Good questions...not this only uses what you put on it. With all 4 rom's installed you will only have about 500mb's left though. but you could install just 1 or 2 rom's and still have a couple gb's left to use. The only "problem" i've seen is that the emmc does not mount to pc correctly but this can be fixed by using the mount emmc options in the app i provided.

Ok, so how much space does each "slot" take, just out of curiosity?

The rom's do get installed to the phone like a normal install and then are copied into the img's. This is so the different rom's with different updater scripts will all install correctly and then just get moved to the img's. It will erase your current rom but you could either nand the current rom(which you should do anyway) and then restore it or you could just use the rom1instaler.zip (or rom2,rom3,rom4) to move your current rom to the emmc. It will copy all of your data and stuff over too. Then you can continue to install the other roms you want. Then if you want to put a rom back on the phone normally you can do that too.

So basically you could get a rom all customized, then do the rom#installer.zip to take it completely themed and all and move to EMMC? That sounds pretty damn hot IMHO =]

Pithism

Dec 21, 2010
Boston, MA
so technically can we have 5 roms?

4 on emmc and 1 on actually phone?

*and to resotre nand backup to phone do we install the phoneinstaller.zip first or after the nand backup/rom we like?

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
Okay... one more question: let's say I have a Rom installed in one of the slots and I want to flash a mod to that particular Rom... how is that achieved?

Right now flash all your mods before moving the rom...i'll work on some way to flash it after it's moved.

So basically you could get a rom all customized, then do the rom#installer.zip to take it completely themed and all and move to EMMC? That sounds pretty damn hot IMHO =]

data is 1000mb system is 270 cache is 120 so about 1.5Gb...they are adjustable if you really want to save the space. and yes you can customize it and then move it.

*and to resotre nand backup to phone do we install the phoneinstaller.zip first or after the nand backup/rom we like?

yep 5 roms total....install phoneinstaller.zip after restoring the nand. It just dumps the boot.img so it's available to the app and installs the app so it doesn't really do anything to the rom.

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
So what is the "phoneinstaller.zip" used for? Do I need To install that before moving to slot. . Or only For rom left on phone.

Sent from my SmartQ V7 using XDA App

Last edited:

Pithism

Dec 21, 2010
Boston, MA
yep 5 roms total....install phoneinstaller.zip after restoring the nand. It just dumps the boot.img so it's available to the app and installs the app so it doesn't really do anything to the rom.

wow this is awesome, one of the reason why i just recently purchased a friends INC.

Cant wait to see what other roms work on this

and do we need to use that modified recovery or is cwm 3.0.0.x good enough?

r2DoesInc

Dec 8, 2010
Conap, sick work :)

You've been busy since I first met you :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
So what is the "phoneinstaller.zip" used for? Do I need To install that before moving to slot. . Or only For rom left on phone.

Sent from my SmartQ V7 using XDA App

That's only need for the rom left on the phone

wow this is awesome, one of the reason why i just recently purchased a friends INC.

Cant wait to see what other roms work on this

and do we need to use that modified recovery or is cwm 3.0.0.x good enough?

CWM recovery is fine...it's what I tested with...

Reactions: justjayhere

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those with phones other then Incredible...The new app that will replace this system and work with multiple phones is in the market. Check out my sig for our website with more info.

Does not work with CWM2.5...Tested with CWM 3.0.8 ONLY WILL NOT WORK WITH OTHER RECOVERIES

A super big thanks to xda dev drellisdee since he's the one who showed me how to mount the img's at boot time. Check out his modified recovery here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=758874

Thanks also too:
    Team ADX-I used my personal account to post since it has the dev privaliges but consider this a Team ADX endeavor.
    Thanks to DHowett for furthering the idea of what we can do with the dualbooting
    Thanks to UnCorrupted for giving me the original interest in Dual Booting roms long, long ago!!
    Thanks to VZW for taking so much of my paycheck everymonth!!
    Thanks to all who tested and gave feedback on my original DualRom project and to all who will do the same with this one.
    Thanks to all the Dev's that give us a reason to want to use more then 1 rom.

DRX2 is an upgrade from DualRom. You can fit up to 4 roms on emmc(and one on the phone if you want) It uses the phone as an installer. I decided to go towards DHowetts idea of mounting img files on the emmc. Emmc will stay as fat32 the way it comes on the phone. This system is fairly simple and so far has worked with all rom's tested.

Tested with:

MIUI
    CM7
    SkyRaider 4.0
    GingerSense Remix-B1-INC
    Uber-z_RC3-1
    Nil's Busines Sense
    Leaked GB rom
    WarmZ
    uber kingdom sense 3.0 (1.0.1)
    mikmik's beta 3 (sense 2.1 w/ 3.0 additions)
    Incubus's Stock 2.0
    mytouch 4g doubleshot rom
    stock kingdom 3.0 rom

Post what rom's you boot successfully so they can be added to the list!!!

As you can see that's a good variety and it should work with every rom.

Installation

Installation is simple. The roms will be stored on emmc in folders labeled rom1, rom2, rom3 and rom4. each folder will need a system.img, data.img and cache.img. You can flash createimageforrom1.zip to setup the folder and img's for rom1 and the the same for the other roms up to rom4. The zip's i included create a 270mb system.img, a 1000mb data.img and a 120mb cache.img. If you would rather manually create these and make your own sizes do:

adb shell
    cd emmc
    mkdir rom1 (or rom2, rom3, rom4)
    cd rom1
    dd if=/dev/zero of=system.img bs=1M count=270
    dd if=/dev/zero of=data.img bs=1M count=1000
    dd if=/dev/zero of=cache.img bs=1M count=120

NOTE: Some rom's the dd command acts differently and your img may come out really small. If that's the case just add busybox to the beginning of the dd command.

the last number on the last three commands is the size of the image it will make. These take a while to make. If you use the zips i included expect to wait at least ten minutes for the img's to be built. Once they are built on the emmc you can flash different rom's to them without deleting/recreating them so you should only need to do this step once.

Once you have the img's setup choose your rom and your kernel or any other ad on's that you want installed. Flash the rom as normal(wipe phone, install zip from sd) NOTE: this will obviously overwrite your existing installation so if you want to keep that you will need to make a nand to restore when you are done. Next flash any ad on's or kernel zips you want installed as normal. Then just flash the zip for rom1installer that i've included. You can use rom1installer or rom2installer, etc to pick which slot you want the rom installed to. They don't have to be installed in any order. You can use just rom4 if you want just make sure you have setup the img's for the rominstaller zip you use. The installer zip will take 5 to 8 minutes to install so be patient. After that reboot your phone and it will boot to the rom you just installed. You can then use the DRX2 app to boot between all installed roms. If you restore your nand to your phone or install another rom to the actuall phone then run the phoneinstaller.zip to set that rom up to use the DRX2 app as well. So to recap and make it simple:

1. flash createimageforrom1.zip(or rom2, rom3, rom4) or all of them if you want lots of roms(you only need to do this if the img's are not already on your emmc)

2. flash your rom of choice and any add on's you want. (rember to wipe phone first and backup if nescasary) If you want to move the rom your currently have installed on your phone to one of the rom slots on emmc just skip this step.

3. flash rom1installer.zip (or rom2, rom3, rom4) whichever slot you want it installed too.

4. reboot

5. If you are also going to use a rom on your phone normally then flash or restore a nand of the rom you are keeping on phone. Then flash phoneInstaller.zip. This will install the DRX2 app and copy your phone rom's boot.img to emmc so the app can access it when you want to boot back to the phone rom.

Upgrading roms

rom1upgrader.zip(and rom2,rom3,rom4) can be used to upgrade your rom on emmc. These haven't been well tested. I did test with miui and a GB Sense 2.1/3.0 rom. Using these would be considered doing a no wipe update. If you want to wipe use the rom1installer.zip's. Step are as follows:

1. Wipe phone flash update and any add-on's

2. flash rom1upgrader.zip(or rom2,rom3,rom4) Make sure you flash the one where the rom your upgrading is installed

3. Reboot.

These could also be used if you want to flash add-ons. Flash the rom you currently have installed, flash the add-on, then flash the rom1upgrader. Example:

I have cm7 nightly 90 on slot1

I wipe phone, flash cm7 nightly 90 to phone, flash any add-on's i had flashed previously, flash any new add-on's, flash rom1upgrader.zip

Note: There is definitely a possiblity of typo's in one of the many scripts i had to write for this stuff so if you do have a problem that you post about please post which slot you have the rom installed too. Thanks.

DRX2 app

drx2.png
    drx2a.png
    drx2b.png

DRX2 works similar to DRSettings app. Push the button of the rom you want to boot too!!! simple enough right? Push menu for options to set the names of the rom's you have installed. If you set a name for Rom1 while booted in Rom1 the name will show when you boot to rom2, 3, or 4 so you only have to set the names once. There is also an option under menu to mount or umount emmc to pc. I added this because the one downfall of this system is the emmc does not mount to pc when using the mount disk drive options normally. Remember don't delete or move the img's of the rom your booted too.

Additional Scripts
    bootRom1.zip, bootRom2.zip, etc...these zips are for the off chance you get stuck in recovery(i.e boot.img did not flash correctly) This shouldn't happen but I like to be safe especially if your not near a pc to fix it. You can flash these zip to boot into any of the 4 roms you have installed from recovery. Of course they will only work if you have a rom installed in the slot you are trying to boot too.

Downloads
    Disclaimer-FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK. You are responsible for what you do to your phone.

All the files you need are in 1 small package!!
    V2 Changelog
    DRX2 app installed to data/app instead of system/app so that GB sense rom's install it
    V3 Changelog
    Fixed app's not installing that i broke in v2

V4 Changelog
    Fix for AOSP rom's not mounting as ext3(They should work ok as ext2 so if you already have it installed I wouldn't rush to change it. If you start to experience any data corruption then you can update those roms. These won't really affect the sense based rom's as they were already mounting as ext3.)

MultirominstallersV4.zip --old

V5 Changelog
    Added a 5 second sleep on boot to give time for phone to mount the partition.

MultiromInstallersV5.zip --old

V6 Changelog
    Added upgrader's in with the main package
    Switched to ext2 for system.img and added ext2 datadata.img for lag improvements
    Note: V6 Requires you to reflash the createimgforrom.zips because of the changes in the setup of the img's.

MultiromV6.zips --latest
    Zip's to switch rom's in recovery--Now inclueds boot phone rom zip(I.E. boot-rom1.zip)

AnyKernelUpdater.zip's for DRX2 courtesy of tiny4579
    tiny4579 made up some nice zips to replace the kernel on the emmc rom's. You don't even need to be booted into the rom you want to update the kernel on. Take the zImage from kernel/zImage and the files from system/libs/ in the kernel.zip that you downloaded and drop them in the same folders in these zips. These directions probably suck so if I confused you just ask!!!!

Rom1KernelUpdater
    Rom2KernelUpdater
    Rom3KernelUpdater
    Rom4KernelUpdater

Nothing better then user contributions to a project like this so if you come up with something you'd like to share let me know!!!

Upgraders

Upgrader's now bundled in with the main package

Note: Unzip the multirom.zips to get to the flashable zips.

UnInstalling DRX2
    If you want to install a new rom to a slot already in use then just follow the instructions I gave above. The scripts will wipe the img files at install.

If you want to completely uninstall the system just delete the folders off your emmc storage!!
    Make sure your booted into a rom installed normally on the phone first!!

Additional thoughts

If the rom does not boot try installing and booting it on the regular phone first.

Any time your copying data from one place to another corruption can occur. If it doesn't work try it a second time. If you have to try again make sure to wipe the phone and reinstall the rom before re-running the installer scripts.

Install all add-on's, new kernels, flashable themes before running the installer script.

You can run the rom on the phone as normal, set it up, try it out and then move it to the emmc slots at any time by running an installer script. It will copy your data over also. In the case that you might want to check the rom out or see how a flashable them looks before installing it to one of the emmc slots.

If you have questions feel free to ask.
    This looks awesome..... ! Now can keep up with all of JoelZ9614's Rom's... lol

Right now flash all your mods before moving the rom...i'll work on some way to flash it after it's moved.

data is 1000mb system is 270 cache is 120 so about 1.5Gb...they are adjustable if you really want to save the space. and yes you can customize it and then move it.

Nice Work im going to try it out