New APN setting for straight talk ATT

Search This thread

mikec628

Feb 15, 2012
Alabama
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Just before lunch today I lost all data, could make calls and text. I called straight talk. I got the normal run around. I asked if there was any outages in Alabama. Was told no. I called my local ATT store and they said they have no reports. So I looked up straight talks apn again just to make sure something didn't go crazy. There is a NEW APN. I put it in and I have data working again.
http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php#
new settings

Field

Settings

Name
straight talk

APN
tfdata

Port

MMSC
http://mms-tf.net

MMS Proxy
mms3.tracfone.com

MMS Port

3UR0TR45H

Jun 29, 2011
Bellingham
I deleted my old one and added this bone and got NOTHING. However when I added my old one back in, my speed went from 280kbps to 5.3mbps instantly! Wahoo! Never seen these speeds from ST AT&T!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

mightybrick

May 24, 2010
So. Utah
chainclang.com
Google Pixel 6
I deleted my old one and added this bone and got NOTHING. However when I added my old one back in, my speed went from 280kbps to 5.3mbps instantly! Wahoo! Never seen these speeds from ST AT&T!!

Same here. I got nothing with this new apn.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: yobosimn

mikec628

Feb 15, 2012
Alabama
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Ok something fishy is going on here. I just got home and looked at my wifes phone. She still has the same APN settings I had. Her phone is working ok. I have tried ever APN setting I can find. Nothing else works but the one in the first post. I just done a factory reset and its still the same. I was wondering if it was a location thing but my wifes phone still the same, Something is going on with my phone or other Straight talk is screwing with me.

Reactions: TangoXray

myturbo1

Jan 28, 2012
Wichita
My data now keeps freezing up Wtf ?

My data is about twice as fast now.. But.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:

myturbo1

Jan 28, 2012
Wichita
Before & after .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370399724293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370399724293.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 9,866
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370399736080.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370399736080.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 8,290

myturbo1

Jan 28, 2012
Wichita

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370399839173.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370399839173.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4,771
D

Deleted member 1349438

Doesn't work for my byod at&t sim. Maybe straight talk will start carrying new at&t sims that work w/ those settings. Those settings r the same as net10's.

myturbo1

Jan 28, 2012
Wichita
Create/save/select it for about a minute . then reselect the apn you were using. Do not delete the new one.

eschatfische

Jun 5, 2013
Its not makeing since, working on some and not others! Something that just hit me, yesterday was my renewal date. Not sure if thats haveing something to do with it or not.

I just had the same experience. My AT&T Straight Talk Nexus 4 data stopped working yesterday, but my wife's phone, also on AT&T Straight Talk, continued working without a hitch. My renewal day was yesterday, too, but my wife has a different renewal date. My data stopped working at around the same time I got the email from them indicating my auto-charge was successful.

I called Straight Talk and was given the runaround that my data was disabled because I was violating their terms and conditions. I told them I categorically was not violating them, which is true - I use less than 1GB of data each month, and don't even watch Youtube on my phone - then demanded to be transfered to a supervisor. I was connected to a supervisor who was more helpful and gave me the new APN information, and I was soon back up and running.

The good news is that performance during my morning commute seem much better with the new APN. Perhaps AT&T started kicking Straight Talk customers off of att.mvno at the end of their monthly cycle and Straight Talk is scrambling to get them on their own APN? I have no problem with it if that's the case and the APN performance is OK, but it sure would have been nice to know in advance...

tuplink

Jun 13, 2011
Winchester
Same

I think you are on to something. My renewal date was today and I lost all data. Changed the apn and all is well.

my end date was yesterday too... on two phones.. got off the phone today with ST with a new APN.. well SMS/Phone/Data are working, but no MMS i can send from the phone but its not reciving them. anyone checked this?

mikec628

Feb 15, 2012
Alabama
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
This may very well be the case. My wifes service ends about the middle of the month. Looks like they could have said something when i was on the phone with them for 30mins, or an email!!!

My mms is working

Last edited:
Reactions: TangoXray

Bruce777

Jul 16, 2010
I'm trying not to panic, but it may be that Straight Talk is going to go downhill from here :^(
AT&T doesn't want to subsidize it's services anymore, I don't want a T-Mobile sim!

My renewal date was yesterday and my data went totally offline. I googled it and found the "new" apn settings on the ST website. I updated and everything works except MMS, I can send but not receive.

I spent hours going to dozens of websites, entered new apn settings at least 25-30 times to no avail, and spent an hour on the phone with ST support (they didn't help at all).

Hopefully this is just a transition that needs some time to resolve a few bugs. Clearly the MMS server/proxy is having forwarding problems.

Oh we'll, I've pinned this thread and plan on checking it often to see if there are any developments.

jaredmny

Mar 19, 2008
Same here... No warning, just lost data yesterday - coincidentally the same day as my subscription renewal. After fighting with settings all day, noticed new APN info on ST site. Entered and now working perfectly. WTF?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just before lunch today I lost all data, could make calls and text. I called straight talk. I got the normal run around. I asked if there was any outages in Alabama. Was told no. I called my local ATT store and they said they have no reports. So I looked up straight talks apn again just to make sure something didn't go crazy. There is a NEW APN. I put it in and I have data working again.
    http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php#
    new settings

Field

Settings

Name
    straight talk

APN
    tfdata

Port

MMSC
    http://mms-tf.net

MMS Proxy
    mms3.tracfone.com

MMS Port
    I had to switch apn's on both mine and my wife's nexus 4's today in order to recieve mms. I had to clear the cached data and reboot the phone before the new apn would work. As soon as we rebooted mms messages from the last week all downloaded at once. Thought it might help some out. :D
    Its not makeing since, working on some and not others! Something that just hit me, yesterday was my renewal date. Not sure if thats haveing something to do with it or not.
    AT&T Straight Talk APN Settings

I noticed that CM10 has introduced the new Straight Talk into the CyanogenMod nightlies. Being adventurous and not knowing about the changes from this thread, I applied it; however it did not work for me.

Moving back to the old APN set everything back to normal. I didn't see super speed increases but it does work again.

I've long suspected that the old APN was overloaded which is why we see speed problems, if people are migrating to the new APN that could be why there are speed increases on the old one.

Here are the old and new settings for reference:

New Settings
    Code:
    FIELD        SETTINGS
    NAME        Straight Talk AT&T New
    APN	tfdata
    PORT        80
    MMSC        http://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY        mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT        80

Old Settings
    Code:
    FIELD        SETTINGS
    NAME        Straight Talk AT&T Old
    APN        att.mvno
    PORT        Not set
    MMSC        http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS PROXY        66.209.11.33
    MMS PORT        80
    APN TYPE        default,supl,mms
    I also use GVoice for messaging... I never use MMS, so unfortunately can't really test.

Working APN settings are:
    Code:
    NAME: Straight Talk
    APN: tfdata
    PORT: 80
    MMSC: http<DELETE>://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    Delete the part that says <DELETE>... Sorry, I can't put urls in messages yet. :confused:

I tried those settings. Still no data. I've tried every APN setting I could find online, nothing has helped.

I just spent over an hour stuck in Straight Talk customer service hell. This is my first experience in 4 months needing to call them, and now I understand why people complain so loudly and so frequently about them. Let me tell you how it went:

1st call from my N4 - The CSR told me she couldn't help me because I was calling from my Straight Talk device and she needed me to check settings when I wasn't using it. She provided me with APN settings to check after I hung up (has she not heard of speakerphone?) and then I asked her to just check if there's a problem with my account, she said there wasn't and to call back from another phone.

2nd call from my wife's phone - Transferred 3 times, finally sent to the "high data usage hotline" where it read an automated message. After the message there were no options to talk to another CSR, it eventually hung up when I didn't ask it to repeat.

3rd call from my wife's phone - Transferred 2 times, when CSR told me they were transferring me to the high data usage line I told them I was just there and it was just an automated message that didn't help me. They said "listen to the message, it has instructions on how to get your data working". I thought maybe I missed something so I let them transfer me and I made sure to listen REALLY hard. All it tells you is that using high data is against Straight Talk's TOS and that you should go to another carrier if you don't like it (yes, it really says we'd be happy to port your number to another carrier if you don't agree with our TOS). Again, it hangs on up me when I can't figure out how to get back to a CSR from there.

4th call from my wife's phone - Transferred twice. I adamantly tell the 2nd CSR that I have no data, that the high data usage line does not help me, and that my data is NOT throttled, it is NON-EXISTENT. She is equally adamant that my data has only been THROTTLED, not SUSPENDED, and that she should transfer me to the high data usage line so I can understand why it has been THROTTLED. We talk in a circle for about 5 minutes. I tell her it has not been throttled, it is not working at all, she says its been throttled. Ok, finally she says "since your data was throttled, and you kept using data, is has been suspended for 24 hours. Don't use data on your phone for 24 hours and when the system sees that you are using normal data amounts it will reinstate your data". She didn't say it in those words, but very broken English, but I got the gist of it after needing her to repeat it a few times.

So, my data stopped working about this time last night, my 24 hours should almost be over. If the last CSR is to be believed (althoug there is no reason to) then my data should come back tonight, although it will be throttled for high data usage until my renewal date later this month. I might add that if anything I have used LESS data than I normally do in the last couple weeks. I haven't tethered or streamed music or netflix on anything other than over WiFi in over a month. So why would they choose to now "throttle" me (their version of throttling is cutting off data I guess? I never noticed a data throttle, probably b/c my ATT data is so slow to begin with)

I regret purchasing a year of service up front. As soon as my year is over in November I'm switching to T-Mobile's $30/month plan if its still available. I am never recommending ST to anyone, ever, for any reason. Unless maybe they are gluttons for pain and frustration.