[GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial for Upgrading the Bionic to 5.9.902 (+ Root)

Search This thread

jeff.s

Oct 12, 2010
Try going into your settings menu, then under Mobile Networks, toggle the LTE/4G option off them on again. You can also try booting the phone without your SIM card, them reboot with it back in. It might shake things loose.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Both seemed possible; neither worked.

When I reboot, the 4G logo/icon appears in the top status bar. If I try to load a webpage or use the network connection at all, it says no network available, and 30 to 45 seconds later, 3G is up and running (walking, really). Frustrating!

jeff.s

Oct 12, 2010
OK, maybe it's not me. :)

Just read about a Verizon 4G outage across the US. I'd like to include a link, but I'm too noob to be trusted...

jeff.s

Oct 12, 2010
Yeah - I think it was verizon's fault. 3G all morning, then had to reboot, and it came back 4G and has stuck that way since then...

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC
I tried this, it didn't work. So I ran the 902 fxz, rooted with motofail & installed eclipse 2.1. Super easy.

so if I have the 902 fxz, I can just go into RSDLite and do the same as I would have done before when I bricked my phone, and it will just take me to 902 instead right? I thought for the longest time I could do this but didn't want to screw anything up..

kcin16

Nov 24, 2010
Everything is fine until step 7...at that point I get a "device not found" error...
Any ideas why?

THANKS in advance

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC
does anyone know if motofail happens to use adb for any part of it's process? my bionic no longer responds to adb and that's why I haven't updated until now so if it uses adb at any point I can't use it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jshawncampbell

Feb 27, 2012
unable to download motofail.exe

Is there an alternate download site? The link provided gives a "bandwidth exceeded" rejection.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
All,

My bandwidth jumped from 200MB per day to 11GB per day. That is why the site was down for a few hours yesterday, so I have moved the necessary files to 3rd party hosts. There are 4 parts, but they are the same files on every host (i.e. links are interchangeable), so you can download PART 1 from one host, then PART 2 from another host, and so on. See original post for the new download links. for now, I will still continue to host the 'motofail.exe' since it is a small file.

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle, but I have 10 other sites on that same hosting account, and can't have a single file jeopardize them all. << Unless one of you wants to buy me dedicated hosting :) Ha. >>

Last edited:

Icculus760

Jun 7, 2010
THANKS....but :)

These instructions were AWESOME, thanks!

...but I suggest editing the OP to start step 7 w/ selecting "ADB Debug" in 'settings.' I just wasted 60 seconds trying to figure it out - can't imagine others being dumber than me, but it's possible so that should be included :D

Last edited:

cruzizcaredonotn

Aug 7, 2011
Florida
I was already on 902 since I just bought the phone last week and updated as soon as it was receiving service. My stomach was tide to a tight knot, my hands were shacking, my head was spinning. Motofail was successful, but when the phone rebooted for the last time a couple motorola processes failed and phone kept rebooting. :( removed battery, waited a few seconds, replaced battery, booted. :eek: SUCCESS!!! Did root checker basic, :D

thank you.

bitsoglass

Mar 5, 2012
download not available

This might be a very stupid question, and I apologize profusely if it is. I managed to download part 1 of the bionic updater, but when I try any of the 3 parts (regardless of which mirror site) it says that the file has been removed. Do I need to wait between downloads, or is there another place to get these files? I have been fine with not being able to upgrade to ice cream sandwich (it fails every time: It was rooted at one point, but has not been for a while and I have done a factory reset since) recently, because I have been just holding out for a phone upgrade. I recently just bought a Sony SmartWatch, though, and I wanted to be able to use one of Sony's apps that require ice cream sandwich. Again, sorry if I am honestly just not doing something I should be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial for Upgrading the Bionic to 5.9.902 (+ Root):

I created this 10-step tutorial because there were so many various How-To's floating around the internet on how to do this but the wording was either over-complicated or contained conflicting information. A lot of techies have good intentions and are very good at what they do, but are not so good at explaining it in a way that makes sense to the end user. In this guide I have attempted to do that the best I can to make it the easiest and most concise method on the net for upgrading the Bionic to 5.5.902.

Sidenote: You can also use this guide as a stepping stone when wanting to ultimately upgrade to ICS: Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x). I will also make my own tutorial for upgrading to ICS when the build becomes more stable.

OVERVIEW/CREDITS: This tutorial utilizes dhacker29's revert/upgrade tool and Dan Rosenberg's (@djrbliss) universal rooting tool for Motorola phones. I have also included any dependent files that are needed for dhacker29's tool and compiled it into one executable that will self-extract then auto-launch. No effective code has been changed, but rather I have just made the process more convenient and seamless. All credit goes to the previously mentioned user's, while the steps below are my own.

DISCLAIMER: This is to be done at your own risk. I assume no responsibility or liability for anything that may happen to your device. This disclaimer sounds scarier than it really is, as this is already a proven process that will work on any Bionic in any software state, but it must be said none the less.

STEPS: Perform these steps on your Bionic only AFTER you have backed up all user data: pictures, videos, txt (sms/mms), email, settings, docs, etc. You do not need to backup any data from the external card (sdcard-ext), as nothing will be deleted from there; however, the internal storage (sdcard) will be formatted, so be sure to backup anything from there that you feel is important. Also make sure that you have at least 1GB free on your external SD card.

1. Motorola Drivers: Download and install the latest MotoHelper drivers from Motorola's site: HERE. (Be sure to download the "USB Drivers", not the "PC Charging" ones).
    2. Prepare the phone: Once the drivers are completely installed, plug your phone into your computer via the USB cable and make sure it is in "Charge only" mode by pulling down the notification menu at the top and tapping "USB connection", then tap "Charge Only", then "OK". (If applicable, wait for Windows to recognize and auto-install the phone hardware).
    3. Initiate updater software: Download and run BionicUpdater_v5.9.902.exe from here (4 parts, links are interchangeable):
      1. PART 1 of 4: http://mir.cr/03XXOT1W
      2. PART 2 of 4: http://mir.cr/0CJ9KA4B
      3. PART 3 of 4: http://mir.cr/DDDSX4F4
      4. PART 4 of 4: http://mir.cr/0UHATF5Y
    4. Once extraction is complete you will see a white window with blue text. Press [ENTER] at the prompt to continue and display the updater's main menu.
    5. Revert to older stock ROM version 5.5.893: At the Menu, choose the right option depending on your phone's current version:
      1. Press "1" if the version of your phone is lower than 5.9.x
      2. Press "2" if the version of your phone is 5.9.x or higher.
      3. NOTE: You can find your current version by going to your home screen, tapping Menu, then Settings. Scroll down and tap "About Phone", then look at the "System Version" number.
    6. Complete reversion to 5.5.893: Follow the prompts as it walks you through the process, reading carefully for any instructions displayed by the updater along the way. Once it completes, it should take you back to the main menu (This may involve multiple phone reboots along the way)
    7. Prepare for copy of 5.9.902 update file: When the updater's menu reappears, put your phone into 'Charge Only' mode by pulling down the notification menu at the top of your phone and tapping "USB connection" then tap "Charge Only", then tap "OK".
    8. Copy 5.9.902 update file: Now, back in the updater program on your computer, press 6 to copy the 5.9.902 update file to your external SD card. Follow prompts to let the updater walk you through the process. If you get any errors, make sure that you are in 'Charge Only' mode as described above then try again. (Do NOT run the 'OTA Rootkeeper' or 'Forever Root' options at anytime in this process). Once the copy is complete, you can close the white updater screen by clicking the "x" at top right.
    9. Upgrade to 5.9.902: Your phone will reboot and you will see the Droid exclamation icon. Don't worry, just press both volume buttons and a recovery menu will appear. Select the option to install an update (Use the Volume up/down buttons to select, then press the Power button to confirm selection). Browse to the file that was just copied to your SD card, then begin the upgrade.
    10. Wipe data: Once the upgrade is complete, go back to the main menu, and tap the volume down key until "wipe data/factory reset" is highlighted then tap the Power button. Another Confirmation screen will come up. Tap on Volume down key until "Yes" is highlighted then tap Power button. After all user data is cleared, the "reboot system now" option will be highlighted by Default. Tap the Power button to reboot the phone. You are now running 5.9.902 unrooted.
    11. Root: On your phone, walk through the initial phone-setup process until you see the Home screen icons. Make sure your phone is in "Charge only" mode by pulling down the notification menu at the top and tapping "USB connection", then tap "Charge Only", then "OK". Download and run motofail.exe to root your Bionic. Once rooted, the phone will reboot. You are now running 5.9.902 rooted. (This last step is optional and only required if you want a rooted phone).
    COMPLETION: You may continue to setup your phone to your liking by reinstalling apps and restoring settings and user data.

DONATIONS: If you want to give donations as a 'Thank you', please give them to dhacker29 and Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss).

Please leave comments/feedback should you run into any hiccups along the way so that I can make this guide even more user-friendly than it already is.
    Hello! I'm wondering if I updated my Bionic to 5.9.902 through the official OTA update, can I skip steps 3-8?

Thank you!

I think you can skip 3-9 then. 9 is really the tail end of upgrading to 902. You should be able to just run Motofail and root your phone.
    Once you are running version 5.5.902 you can use the Motofail rooter app. It does not matter how you got to version 902.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App