[q] help water damaged s5

Search This thread

Jsong69

Mar 31, 2014
i just bought mine and i took it for a test in the pool and took pics and video and i opened to see if water got inside and yes some drops where inside but not in the important area so i dry it close it BUT it seems that it got water inside somehow cuz :crying::crying::crying::crying:l later i try to see the pics and the screen went wild and then the horror screen went from white to black and that was it i try to dry it with hairdryer nothing i came back to live for a sec only to do the same then the rice trick nothing now is all black i can hear the phone respond but no image and im in despair since att told me warranty is void cuz the water indicator is red so im f up. Can someone help me out with some miraculous fix for this problem please i just bought it and im beyond broke. I got isopropyl alcohol if i dunk it without the battery of course will the acohol damage the amoled lcd or the camera or anything? if i dry it well will it come back to life or will the lcd digiticer permanetly dead ? HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE:crying::crying::crying:

GDofWR420

May 3, 2011
Why 2 posts about the same issue. Sounds like you have your answer. Your phone is busto so unless you wanna go as far as replacing the screen yourself which will probably not resolve all your issues. Stop swimming with your phone :banghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

galaxy s4 nutjob

Mar 7, 2014
Niagara Falls
i just bought mine and i took it for a test in the pool and took pics and video and i opened to see if water got inside and yes some drops where inside but not in the important area so i dry it close it BUT it seems that it got water inside somehow cuz :crying::crying::crying::crying:l later i try to see the pics and the screen went wild and then the horror screen went from white to black and that was it i try to dry it with hairdryer nothing i came back to live for a sec only to do the same then the rice trick nothing now is all black i can hear the phone respond but no image and im in despair since att told me warranty is void cuz the water indicator is red so im f up. Can someone help me out with some miraculous fix for this problem please i just bought it and im beyond broke. I got isopropyl alcohol if i dunk it without the battery of course will the acohol damage the amoled lcd or the camera or anything? if i dry it well will it come back to life or will the lcd digiticer permanetly dead ? HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE:crying::crying::crying:
Is the water damage strip tripped on both the phone and battery? I did the same thing with mine but luckily only the battery strip was tripped so I just ordered a new battery and Told the store the screen stopped working all of a sudden dodged a bullet on that one

Jsong69

Mar 31, 2014
no

Is the water damage strip tripped on both the phone and battery? I did the same thing with mine but luckily only the battery strip was tripped so I just ordered a new battery and Told the store the screen stopped working all of a sudden dodged a bullet on that one

Only the back of the phone the battery one is ok. Where can i get another water indicator to replace the one on the phone. If i dunk the phone on isopropyl alcohol will the screen or digitiser die? Thank in advance

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
Only the back of the phone the battery one is ok. Where can i get another water indicator to replace the one on the phone. If i dunk the phone on isopropyl alcohol will the screen or digitiser die? Thank in advance

The phone is advertised as "Water Resistance" not "Water Proof".....SO if your wife or kids spill something on it or you drop it in a pool and get it out quickly, you should be okay......If you put it in the pool and played with it (Took pictures etc...) Thats a NO NO.....

It seems you had your S5 in the pool, having fun and now its damaged. I did the same thing with my S 5 at first. I took it in the pool and took pictures under water, and had fun. The speaker sounded like it had water all in it, but after it dried up, the speaker was fine. So is my phone.
But the S 5 Active is rated i believe 30 Minutes, up to 3 feet. SO there is the problem----you have the regular S 5 and its dead bro.....

You need a new phone. I don't think anybody has a fix for water damage. It burnt up some thing inside. I hate to say it , but you will have to get another one. I learned a lesson and hopefully others did by our stories.

galaxy s4 nutjob

Mar 7, 2014
Niagara Falls
Ya mine was on the battery so I could replace the battery yours is on the phone not sure how you would replace that I think you might be out of luck my friend

jkDave

Nov 1, 2013

I can't believe everyone is telling this guy he's SOL. Yes it was a silly thing to do but who hasn't made a mistake?

Jsong, the rice trick takes weeks typically to work, helps if you can get it in direct sunlight as well to speed up the absorption rate. I would suggest giving the rice trick a try again but leave it untouched for a week or two. DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER, you've already stated that you have but don't again. The force of the air could push moisture deeper and make the issue worse. Take out the SIM, the battery and external memory card if you have one. Vacuum the exposed area for at least 30 minutes, change up the angle of the vacuum every little while to make sure you are reaching all exposed parts. Put the dry cover back on, do not try and turn it on. Now put it in the rice and some say 24-hours works but I would leave it for at least a week. If it won't turn on after a week in the rice and the vacuuming you may need to think about replacing the motherboard which I don't think anyone sells. If you do manage to get ahold of one or any part you want to replace use the guide here to tear it down and fix yourself. https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S5

Reactions: Jsong69

Jsong69

Mar 31, 2014
The phone is advertised as "Water Resistance" not "Water Proof".....SO if your wife or kids spill something on it or you drop it in a pool and get it out quickly, you should be okay......If you put it in the pool and played with it (Took pictures etc...) Thats a NO NO.....

OK im getting a little irritated with this kind of comment that show only the lack of knowledge the S5 normal is IP67 as the active the difference is that the active beside the IP67 has some military test of its own so both phone can be submerged up to 1 meter and up to 30 min there is no difference there OK and yes if i buy a phone thats says it can do that WHY would i do it its like if i buy a water resistant watch or whatever if it says it can be submerged up to 15 meter im gonna swim with it im NOT scuba diving because it will die. SAme thing with the S5 if is water whatever but it specifies that can be submerged up to 1 meter and for 30 im gonna do it following the security measures the one thing i did not calculated was that if the phone have some factory flaws and the water gets in and the indicator goes red im screw now

Reactions: eortizr

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011

OK im getting a little irritated with this kind of comment that show only the lack of knowledge the S5 normal is IP67 as the active the difference is that the active beside the IP67 has some military test of its own so both phone can be submerged up to 1 meter and up to 30 min there is no difference there OK and yes if i buy a phone thats says it can do that WHY would i do it its like if i buy a water resistant watch or whatever if it says it can be submerged up to 15 meter im gonna swim with it im NOT scuba diving because it will die. SAme thing with the S5 if is water whatever but it specifies that can be submerged up to 1 meter and for 30 im gonna do it following the security measures the one thing i did not calculated was that if the phone have some factory flaws and the water gets in and the indicator goes red im screw now
So, if I purposely crash my car into a building, and I'm laying in my hospital bed, and I say, well if the air bag worked like it was supposed to, then I would not be in this predicament, how would I sound? You'd probably say, well why would you do that anyway? There are some things that you do not do, you'd probably say. That's kind of how you sound with taking the phone swimming, but not that degree.

Well, maybe the phone was faulty. But what service center or tech is going believe you after you've blow dried it, and possibly soaked it in rice or alcohol. If you did any of that, then that throws out the entire argument about the phone being at fault, since the blow dryer, alcohol, and rice are not tested and proven procedures, or "following security measure", for the S5. I'm just saying what you need, but don't want, to hear.

And you're right also, there is a lack of knowledge around here about S5. In my opinion, it takes somewhere around a year before you understand a phone really well. That's why you don't do like you did, because almost no one around here has been in that situation yet, where they had to find a solution. That's why there's no definite answer right now and...Oops, I have to go. I have to get my phone out the sink before the 30 minutes is up. Let us know what you decide to.

Reactions: GDofWR420

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
All good points. The Active is better. Good luck OP. I pay $3.00 a month for insurance on the phone. I hope you did it or do it next time.

The Active and the S5 both have the same IP67 certification for water ingress protection. so NO the Active is not any better under water. And in the case of the OP he just got back lock and was not sure that the back cover was completely close. I have use my S5 on the pool several times to take videos and pictures without issues, you just need to be sure of the usb flap and back case been secured.

Last edited:

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
Can you please elaborate?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I just remember a rep asking if I wanted insure for 3 bucks. Once I got my paperwork it was higher. I asked why. They told me about an additional insurance fee. I didn't need it. Took it off and it's 3 bucks again. Don't remember what it was but I didn't want it. Srry

mkfryan

Aug 9, 2012
Fargo ND
I just remember a rep asking if I wanted insure for 3 bucks. Once I got my paperwork it was higher. I asked why. They told me about an additional insurance fee. I didn't need it. Took it off and it's 3 bucks again. Don't remember what it was but I didn't want it. Srry

Still the same ridiculous $200 deductible?

Sent from my SS ROMed S5

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
You mean the 30min underwater commercial didn't convince you it was water proof? LOL...Gonna be hard to get that replaced. I would put it in a ziplock bag of dry rice for 24hr, couldn't hurt....good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All good points. The Active is better. Good luck OP. I pay $3.00 a month for insurance on the phone. I hope you did it or do it next time.
    Can you please elaborate?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I can't believe everyone is telling this guy he's SOL. Yes it was a silly thing to do but who hasn't made a mistake?

Jsong, the rice trick takes weeks typically to work, helps if you can get it in direct sunlight as well to speed up the absorption rate. I would suggest giving the rice trick a try again but leave it untouched for a week or two. DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER, you've already stated that you have but don't again. The force of the air could push moisture deeper and make the issue worse. Take out the SIM, the battery and external memory card if you have one. Vacuum the exposed area for at least 30 minutes, change up the angle of the vacuum every little while to make sure you are reaching all exposed parts. Put the dry cover back on, do not try and turn it on. Now put it in the rice and some say 24-hours works but I would leave it for at least a week. If it won't turn on after a week in the rice and the vacuuming you may need to think about replacing the motherboard which I don't think anyone sells. If you do manage to get ahold of one or any part you want to replace use the guide here to tear it down and fix yourself. https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S5

So, if I purposely crash my car into a building, and I'm laying in my hospital bed, and I say, well if the air bag worked like it was supposed to, then I would not be in this predicament, how would I sound? You'd probably say, well why would you do that anyway? There are some things that you do not do, you'd probably say. That's kind of how you sound with taking the phone swimming, but not that degree.

Well, maybe the phone was faulty. But what service center or tech is going believe you after you've blow dried it, and possibly soaked it in rice or alcohol. If you did any of that, then that throws out the entire argument about the phone being at fault, since the blow dryer, alcohol, and rice are not tested and proven procedures, or "following security measure", for the S5. I'm just saying what you need, but don't want, to hear.

And you're right also, there is a lack of knowledge around here about S5. In my opinion, it takes somewhere around a year before you understand a phone really well. That's why you don't do like you did, because almost no one around here has been in that situation yet, where they had to find a solution. That's why there's no definite answer right now and...Oops, I have to go. I have to get my phone out the sink before the 30 minutes is up. Let us know what you decide to.