[Q] Monstruous cache size! More than 1 TB!!

Search This thread

powersimon

Oct 28, 2012
Hi all,
I'm experiencing a strange behaviour of my Note 3 (SM-N9005 - stock KK 4.4.2 - XXUFNG2 - not rooted). As you can see in the attached image, the cache size is 1,47 TB!!! Going deeper into this, I found out that it is related to three apps, each with more or less 500 GB of cache.
Two of them are user apps (Office suite and Amazon apps shop) and if I uninstall them the amount of cache is reduced of 1 TB, as expected. The last one is a system app, Google Newsstand, and I obviously can't delete it.

If I clean the cache via usual apps the amount of cache cleaned is "right": about 10-30 MB, no mention of strange TB-sized cache.

Yesterday I did a wipe cache partition, with no results at all.

So the questions are:
- why the amount of the cache is so ridiculously high? Maybe the internal SD card is broken?
- why are there two different values for the cache amount (second image)?

Suggestions are welcome.

Bye, Simon

Attachments

• 2014-08-04-13-57-54.png
    2014-08-04-13-57-54.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 2014-08-04-17-13-05.png
    2014-08-04-17-13-05.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 135

goodoane

Jul 22, 2007
It could be wrong reported cache that is attached to your account. Stop wonder if your device work normally. Have you tried to clean cache with internal setting (just press on cache then clean).

Last edited:

powersimon

Oct 28, 2012
It could be wrong reported cache that is attached to your account. Stop wonder if your device work normally. Have you tried to clean cache with internal setting (just press on cache then clean).

Sure I did. The wiped amount of cache is about 10-30 MB, that huge gigasized cache remains completely untouched. Actually it seems to be invincible.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Hi all,
I'm experiencing a strange behaviour of my Note 3 (SM-N9005 - stock KK 4.4.2 - XXUFNG2 - not rooted). As you can see in the attached image, the cache size is 1,47 TB!!! Going deeper into this, I found out that it is related to three apps, each with more or less 500 GB of cache.
Two of them are user apps (Office suite and Amazon apps shop) and if I uninstall them the amount of cache is reduced of 1 TB, as expected. The last one is a system app, Google Newsstand, and I obviously can't delete it.

If I clean the cache via usual apps the amount of cache cleaned is "right": about 10-30 MB, no mention of strange TB-sized cache.

Yesterday I did a wipe cache partition, with no results at all.

So the questions are:
- why the amount of the cache is so ridiculously high? Maybe the internal SD card is broken?
- why are there two different values for the cache amount (second image)?

Suggestions are welcome.

Bye, Simon

It's clearly incorrectly reported cache. No way in hell would our phones have 1TB of memory. If it did then daaaaaaamn. :cool:

If after you cleared the cache from Recovery, and used Clean Master to wipe the cache, and it still didn't work, flash stock.

Last edited:
Yes, this was obvious. I was asking if this issue could be related to a broken internal SD...

Doubtful. It displays the original size and free size accurately. Same SD.

Try emptying the cache through Recovery.

(Shut down the device, press and hold volume up, home and power, let go on the Samsung logo, navigate with volume keys to Wipe Cache Partition, hit the home key to confirm, wait and navigate to reboot now. DON'T click home whilst on Factory Reset/Wipe Data.)

powersimon

Oct 28, 2012
Try emptying the cache through Recovery.
(Shut down the device, press and hold volume up, home and power, let go on the Samsung logo, navigate with volume keys to Wipe Cache Partition, hit the home key to confirm, wait and navigate to reboot now. DON'T click home whilst on Factory Reset/Wipe Data.)

Already done, as I wrote.
Strangely, nothing changed. Now I'm waiting to completely factory-restore the device.

Graffiti Exploit

Jan 14, 2012
I have experienced this once! It was from changing ROM(Jackaway to Stock or was it the other way around). I was bothered by how I had lesser free space when I had the same apps at that time.

It seems that the emulated path created a copy of everything in my internal memory like the obbs and stuff which were huge. Accidentally discovered it when pressing the back again and again in Solid Explorer. What I did was deleted it there. I lost my files but I had backup so everything was good.

In conclusion, delete the duplicated files in emulated or internal somewhere. Just backup and then manually delete it. And to be even cleaner, factory reset. Hope it helps.

PS. Mine was bigger about 2GB+ lol. Also when restoring, remove the sd card. I hate it when some apps go to sd when restoring. Lol