TESTING: global kernel with a lot of changes ...

Search This thread

cassios

Dec 4, 2009
I have a strange bug. I cant download big files with Android Market (example, i cant download the last version of Google maps). But i can download small files from Android market (task kiler or file explorer).
I'm using the kernel 21, do you think it come from the Kernel this problem?

xUmaRix

Apr 24, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
did anyone experience audio stutter when listening to mp3?I read in HD2 they did a fix in their kernel.

Code:
/* readahead.c */
#define VM_MAX_READAHEAD        128     /* kbytes */
#define VM_MIN_READAHEAD        16      /* kbytes (includes current page) */

The value is just the same for our kernel but we still have audio stuttering problem

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
I experience Audio stutter in listening to mp3, streaming audio, etc. Also notice that when I'm on the phone and get a data notification, my phone disconnects. I'm using Froyo 2.2.1 with 11/3 rootfs, kernel & modules...

I've learned to accept it, since it appears all Android releases have this issue.

did anyone experience audio stutter when listening to mp3?I read in HD2 they did a fix in their kernel.

Code:
/* readahead.c */
#define VM_MAX_READAHEAD        128     /* kbytes */
#define VM_MIN_READAHEAD        16      /* kbytes (includes current page) */

The value is just the same for our kernel but we still have audio stuttering problem

brunomota

Nov 13, 2008
Ponta Delgada
is this the best kernel?
the last android release i've installed (android 2.2), i had the dead sleep issue (or something like that)...
does this solves that bug?

camro

Apr 20, 2007
any more development on this?

all changes are done in off. trunk ...
and i can't develope any more for such kind of devices, because my device is broken and not sure if i get a new one any more... :(
could be, that i have to buy a newer one, and then i will buy a htc desire z or galaxy s pro ... will see

mweirauch

Jun 23, 2009
www.m-phasis.de
and i can't develope any more for such kind of devices, because my device is broken and not sure if i get a new one any more... :(
could be, that i have to buy a newer one, and then i will buy a htc desire z or galaxy s pro ... will see

Hey camro, if I am not mistaken, there was somebody in #xdandroid recently offering a phone donation. Can't remember offhand who it was, but it was discussed if you should get it because your's got bricked.

perern

Feb 15, 2009
Matrand

okay. thinking about getting Desire HD, Galaxy S I9000, or WP7

xUmaRix

Apr 24, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
try to figure out how alsa working and i found that there are diff in linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm/blobs/htc-msm-2.6.27/sound/soc/msm/msm7201.c

Code:
int msm_snd_init_rpc_ids(void)
{
      snd_rpc_ids.prog  = 0x30000002;
      snd_rpc_ids.vers  = 0x00020001;
      /*
       * The magic number 2 corresponds to the rpc call
       * index for snd_set_device
       */
      snd_rpc_ids.rpc_set_snd_device = 2;
      return 0;
}
the diff in snd_rpc_ids.vers value.CONFIG_MSM_AMSS_VERSION_6225 use snd_rpc_ids.vers = 0xaa2b1a44; and others use snd_rpc_ids.vers = 0x00020001;we might need to find out what value for our amss ie. 5225

Maciz

Nov 27, 2010
I really don't recommend the Galaxy S... I bought it, and after 20 hours decided to bring it back to the store and took the Desire Z
What's wrong with the Galaxy S? I'm actually doubting between the same 2, but might also go for the Desire HD

Also, I just used V21 and now my volume buttons on the side crash Android. First it restarts Android, then when that's done, the screen goes black and no way to get it out. /Edit this is only in debug mode, otherwise it works fine

Last edited:

mweirauch

Jun 23, 2009
www.m-phasis.de
hello everyone , is the development still going on this ...or is it dead ? :), because newer kernels are better in battery life but they mess up button map on Blackstone

No, camro toasted his Blackstone due excessive development and has since not shown up recently.

But more or less all changes have been integraded into the linux-msm project and are available via glemsoms autobuild service. So no need to stick around with these old testing kernels here.

And if the button mappings are messed up in the autobuild service kernel packages, go to xdandroid.com's bugtracker (bugzilla), look up if a similar bugreport is already filed, extend your findings, if not, file a new bugreport with as much info as possible.

And then, there's only need for an active blackstone developer to fix it...

Michael

Stickman89

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
It's easy to fix the button mapping, you can swap over any of the button functions by ammending the associated qwerty.kl inside the /init.etc/ directory within the rootfs.img.

This can be changed via adb (changes will take effect on reboot) or you can mount the rootfs.img in linux via loopback and ammend the device specific qwerty.kl.

Best Regards,

ST1Cl<^^aN

mereTz

Dec 14, 2009
Brasov
Hi,

i have a question. How can you combine 2 different kernels? I have a problem on my blackstone, on almost all of android bulds, if someone calls me, he can't hear me and i can't hear him. There si one kernel, the one used in XDandroid, that works, but that is very havey on the battery and drains it very very fast. And i have another kernel that works very well for the battery and wi-fi and the rest, but the problem with incominb calls prevents me from using andorid as i would like.

Could someone please help me if they know a solution of combining 2 kernels.

Thanks a lot:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi,
    here a kernel, which we want to commit to kernel "msm-linux"
    (the kernel should be for: raphael, diamond, blackstone, topaz, rhodium, kovsky) booting via haret

all credits to crazyvirus, alex, acl, jonpry, phh, oliwe, etc ...

BE CAREFUL ! best would be -> make backup before, beucase there a lotof changes and i tested only the blackstone !

changes overview:
    1.) new battery algo for better display the VOLUME (for now blackstone is ajusted, the other devices battery devices could be, that we must do finetuning
    2.) new USB driver (working also if not connected on boot)
    3.) AC / USB charger detection
    4.) reboot/shutdown should now work for devices (maybe it reboots - not only shutdown, must do testing on it for diff devices)

TESTING:
    please test this kernel:
    1.) battery - specially we need testing on battery -> please add the logging data from kernel... -> via kernel logging -> cat /proc/kmsg | grep battlog)
    2.) USB
    .) connecting USB after rebooting, then try to connect via win adb or linux
    .) test mass data storage
    .) DON'T click/test wlan hotspot !!! it could be, that you have problems after using it !
    3.) AC / USB charger -> change the adapter and look on battery information if it will be changed correct.
    4.) reboot/shutdown should now work for devices (maybe it reboots - not only shutdown, must do testing on it for diff devices)

please help on testing, because we want soon to commit this changes.

cu camel

PLS: as you know, this kernel is for multiple sys please add always:
    Device: ??
    Battery Type: Original or ????
    Battery Volume: ???? mAh

############################
    attached a new kernel V8

.) try now to fix the boot for kovsky (device think the batt is 70° hot ...)
    .) cleanups for battery driver things
    .) logging is now different
    .) there is a new log option (only in startup.txt boot option like:)
    + htc_battery_smem.debug=7 ( 0 | 1 | 2 | 4 ) via bit (so 7=all)
    + htc_battery_smem.fake=1 ( 0 | 1 ) via bit (0 = OFF / 1=ON) (would fake to system, that it is always on USB charger)
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_min=5 ( integer value which will be the minimum value) if it is < then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery can also run out (if wanted)

here an example of my startup boot option line:
    set cmdline "gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3 lcd.density=240 msm_blackstone_pad.vibrate=1 msmvkeyb_toggle=off acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=575000 msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 htc_battery_smem.debug=7 rel_path=AndroidBoot"

EDIT9: kernel v9
    .) fixing high temperature on kovsky & rhod (which does on startup autoamtically a shutdown, because android system is thinking the batt is too hot.
    :> i made a mistake, which should be now correct. if it would be too hot (> 50°), then i set the temp to 499 = 49,9° -> so watch out if there is a value of 499 on temp

EDIT10: kernel_v10
    .) now battery data for blackstone should be fine. (current + volatage, + % + 93% to 100%
    .) kovsky adjustment for voltage, temp + current should be now better ...

EDIT11: kernel_v11
    .) now battery data for raph should be fine. (current + volatage, + % + 93% to 100%)

EDIT12: kernel_v12
    some device had problems with wrong values from battery driver, and then device shutdown by itself ..
    -> should be fixed now

EDIT13: kernel_13
    sorry, the kernel v12 was very bad, a lot of mistakes ..sorry
    .) fixed a lot of things in alog, specially if charging, had wrong values, also fix temperature values, etc...
    .) adjusted raph100 (hwboard_id=1)
    fixed some errors on wrong values which shutdown the whole system

EDIT14: kernel v14
    .) fixed some problems with charger devices
    .) added corr for AC adapter if current is higher
    .) adjust a lot of things on algo

EDIT15: kernel v15
    .) made a stupid bug in autocorrection function (temp was never corrected), so the device shutdown the device if wrong values ..is fixed now :)

EDIT16: kernel v16
    .) add addionally debug prints for kovsky (because no battery init)
    .) diamond100-900 adjustments - for diamond100-900 we need a FINAL LONG TEST - see posting #2

EDIT17: kernel v17
    .) added support for topa??-1100 vendor=2
    .) removed extra debugging prints for kovsky

EDIT18: kernel v18
    .) added support for kovsky, new rhod type
    .) extreme values checking
    .) adjustments for rhod + kovsky current, temp, etc..
    .) extra recheck for INCALL
    .) rhod: set POWER to HOME KEY (only for rhod)
    EDIT19: kernel v19
    .) try to write the temperature only once, if value is ok, so the auto shutdown shouldn't happen any more.)
    .) adjustment for kovsky device
    .) some other small fixes

EDIT 20: kernel v20 (battery driver on chip 2746 - experimental)
    .) there is a new log option (only in startup.txt) boot option like
    + htc_battery_smem.fake=0 ( 0 | 1 )
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_min=0 ( integer value which will be the minimum value) if it is < then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery can also run out (if wanted)
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_max=100 ( integer value which will be the maximum value) if it is > then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery won'T be charged by kernel, and the battery can switch off the charging by itself
    .) adjustment on current + voltage for kovsky
    .) alex patches: clock wince + kovsky battery support via ds2746 (no idea how it works - short test before a long time test makes sense and would be welcome
    EDIT21: kernel v21
    .) support for rhod300
    .) changed back to calc the kovsky from kernel on normal way
    .) removed the wince clock path from Alex (because users reported problems with flickering)
    x.....OK
    o.....IMPLEMENTED - FINAL TEST IS MISSING
    t.....TESTING
    n.....not supported
    b.....buggy, not working
    ?.....no info about ..

Code:
    BATTERY TYPES__:raph100-1340|raph100-1340|raph300-????|raph500-????|raph800-????|diam100-????|diam500-????|blstone-1350|topa100-1100|topa100-1100|rhod100-????|rhod210-????|rhod300-1500|rhod400-????|rhod500-????|kovsky1-????|
    ExTRAINFO______:hwboardid=0_|hwboardid=1_|            |            |            |            |            |            |vendor1     |vendor2     |            |            |vref=1254   |            |            |            |
    ---------------:------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|------------|
    boot procedure_:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|
    InCall Mic_____:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|
    InCall Earpice_:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|
    USB Gadget_____:______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______x_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|
    USB Mass Storag:______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|______n_____|
    temperature____:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______b_____|______b_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    voltage________:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    current on AC__:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    current on USB_:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|
    current on batt:______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|______?_____|______o_____|______t_____|______t_____|______?_____|______?_____|______o_____|______?_____|______?_____|______t_____|

(updated -> 20.10.2010 10:59 GMT+2)

we need for every battery type and device a detail log, so that i can adjust the battery parameter

if you also want that your phone shows the real % volume, then you must log as described..if not -> your own fault :)

how to log:
    at first you must activate logging:

short test:
    ========
    1.) boot

2.) activate logging via:
    dmesg >> /sdcard/kovskylog.txt
    cat /proc/kmsg >> /sdcard/kovskylog.txt

preconditions: best would be if the phone is 10% -90% (not on 100% !!)

then do:
    ~2min charging via AC
    ~2min on battery
    ~2min charging via USB

################################################## ##

then send me this log file, then i can adjust the basisc...

after that we can do the long time test:

long time test: (needs ~10hrs)
    (preconditions: best would be if the phone is 0% - 50%)
    ========
    1.) boot
    (for this test -> before booting to android -> you should add to startup.txt)
    htc_battery_smem.debug=7
    htc_battery_smem.vol_min=15
    htc_battery_smem.vol_max=90

2.) activate logging via:
    dmesg >> /sdcard/kovskylog.txt
    cat /proc/kmsg >> /sdcard/devicename_log.txt

then do:
    ~30min charging via USB
    ~3min on battery
    ~3-4hrs charging via AC

after that prepare your device:
    -> flight mode ON
    -> SYNC data - OFF
    -> 3G -> OFF
    -> screen always ON
    -> screen ~50% brightning

plug out the cable and let device run out of battery
    (needs ~6hrs)

then send me the log

.) there is a new log option (only in startup.txt) boot option like
    + htc_battery_smem.fake=0 ( 0 | 1 )
    + htc_battery_smem.vol_min=0 ( integer value which will be the minimum value) if it is < then it will correct the volume to this value, so the battery can also run out (if wanted)

here an example of my startup boot option line:
    set cmdline "gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3 lcd.density=240 msm_blackstone_pad.vibrate=1 msmvkeyb_toggle=off acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=575000 msmsdcc_fmax=32000000 htc_battery_smem.debug=7 rel_path=AndroidBoot"

1.) full charging of your phone, -> please to be sure, that it is really full -> charge it ~3hrs via AC adapter.
    2.) kill all applications
    3.) open terminal emulator:
    -> then input: su
    -> then input: cat /proc/kmsg | grep BATTLOG >> /sdcard/batterylog.txt
    or if you want full logging -> then input: cat /proc/kmsg | grep BATT >> /sdcard/batterylog.txt
    (for me it is very simple to grep my data for algo fine tuning
    4.) switch to AIRPLANE mode
    5.) set your device to: SCREEN ALWAYS ON (there are several tools on the market wher you can do that, 30 is not enough
    6.) SET DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS to 50%
    then plugout the AC Adapter - and let the phone run out o battery (mostly 5-8hrs)

after that please post the log data. which can be found in sdcard -> (called) -> batterylog.txt

PLS: special apps on market
    for "STAY ALWAYS ON" -> you can use: "caffein" (from Syntaxa)
    for disable "UNLOCK SLIDE SCREEN" -> you can use: or "screemodewidget"
    or also "extended control" but cost some bucks ..