[Q] is xperia play 2 really coming..

Search This thread
Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
I use the L button for L1, the R button for R1, the left volume key for L2, the right volume key for R2, the Back button for L3 and the Search button for R3, and it works quite nicely :)

I guess that works, but I would prefer it most definitely if the next Play addressed those issues and includes each button individually. I don't really know since I only played one for five minutes in a Carphone Warehouse store.

Hold on, Jacklebott! Are those the vanilla settings of the official Playstation emulator or did you map those manually?

I also think it would be cool if the buttons were illuminated (although that would be a potential battery drainer so I would included an option to turn it off).

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
I guess that works, but I would prefer it most definitely if the next Play addressed those issues and includes each button individually. I don't really know since I only played one for five minutes in a Carphone Warehouse store.

Hold on, Jacklebott! Are those the vanilla settings of the official Playstation emulator or did you map those manually?

I also think it would be cool if the buttons were illuminated (although that would be a potential battery drainer so I would included an option to turn it off).

No, I mapped the controls with FPSE. The Sony emulator is too buggy with unofficial games

Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
No, I mapped the controls with FPSE. The Sony emulator is too buggy with unofficial games

Well that's cool to know, I bought FPSE a while ago (back when there was an Android Market) and if I get an Xperia Play I would definitely go back to it.

Although it would be nice if it emulated Jinx with a better framerate and more stability, it still feels like early days for unofficial PSX emulation.

Out of curiosity Jackebott, how does the official emulator get around those L2,R2 mappings? It just sounds a bit crude for Sony to simply use the volume rocker for it.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
Well that's cool to know, I bought FPSE a while ago (back when there was an Android Market) and if I get an Xperia Play I would definitely go back to it.

Although it would be nice if it emulated Jinx with a better framerate and more stability, it still feels like early days for unofficial PSX emulation.

Out of curiosity Jackebott, how does the official emulator get around those L2,R2 mappings? It just sounds a bit crude for Sony to simply use the volume rocker for it.

I barely used the official emulator at all because of the horrible graphics bugs when using unofficial games. If my memory is correct (don't count on it :p), I think it actually does use the volume buttons for L2 and R2, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Inferno986return
Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
I barely used the official emulator at all because of the horrible graphics bugs when using unofficial games. If my memory is correct (don't count on it :p), I think it actually does use the volume buttons for L2 and R2, but I'm not sure.

I can see why you don't use the official emulator, the Europe ROM selection on Google Play is terrible.

What's annoying is they didn't port the real classics like James Bond The World is Not Enough, Tony Hawk's Skateboarding (or Pro Skater for NTSC regions), any of the Tekken games (or Soul Edge) and even quirky games such as Overboard (Shipwreckers). I think we can all agree there is definite room for improvement there.

I still hope with a real wind and a prayer that with Tegra 3 we could see PS2 emulation, but as we have discussed before it's a difficult thing to do unless Sony did it themselves. Having said that I would happily pay (like £10) for GTA: San Andreas to be running any smartphone especially with the native PlayStation controls!

This XDA thread loosely points to the concept that we could see PS2 emulation on the Play.

xperiax10.awesome

Nov 20, 2010
Singapore
Try DroidEmu (all in one emulator)

If PLAY 2 is coming, I really wish it should be like this :):):)

dg4ewm.jpg

Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
Hi guys,
I just want another phone, I have got PS VITA but I cud not carry it everywhere daily, I was thinking abt buying xperia play, but read somewhere that xperia play 2 might b released soon..
What u guys suggest?

EDIT: I purchased XPERIA PLAY !! :)

Will see if PLAY2 will come or not !!!
I like something like this one..

dg4ewm.jpg

I don't that mockup mainly because the layout doesn't seem comfortable for to use. Still thanks for sharing! :)

This is the mockup I like:

Xperia PLAY 2 Jsus Mockup

In fact, if it didn't have that annoying watermark I would have probably printed it out on a canvas and stuck it on my wall! XD

Last edited:

MegaBUD

Apr 5, 2012
Montreal
Cant wait for an xperia play 2... maybe with psp joystick instead of those weird touch joystick...

fast enough for psp emulation? :)

Xperia4life

Apr 2, 2012
Hitchin
This is just concept believing this is fooly and stupid,
Rumours are always Created because someone just wants attention for nothing.

If sony where to release another Gamepad Xperia They would call it Something else.

Haviing a name "Xperia Play 2" Would really Suck and be a let down to the device.

What do you think if there gonna make another one?
Yes because looking at sony once they make a hit they laucnch Multiple "Devices/Games/Consoles/tv" But This year we may see a Glimpse of the Smartphone Future for 2012/2013 (I think we should Hope for Better RAM on the Xperia play otherwise it'l be to weak and Poor performance!

D

Deleted member 4493700

Sometimes I think. Imagine when ps3 emulation will be available for.smartphones. that will be many years from now though. I'll be sittin in a retirement home by that timetime

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
Cant wait for an xperia play 2... maybe with psp joystick instead of those weird touch joystick...

The general rule of thumb is that a device has to be at least 9 times faster/better than the original in order for emulation to be possible with a decent framerate. Although there are plenty of other complications, of course.

So I assume that by PSP emulation you mean the original PSP-1000 which had these specs as shown on the link below:

PSP-1000 Specifications

CPU: 1~333 MHz MIPS R4000 (MIPS appears to be similar, but not the same as ARM)

RAM: 32MB (or 0.032GB)

Okay so let's give it the 9 times treatment!

CPU:

0.333*9=2.997GHz

The Xperia Play has a dual-core 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon and I think the PSP-1000 has a single core processer rather than double, but I think it looks like that emulation would not work from a CPU point of view, especially when the phone would not only run the emulator, but also the ROM and the Android OS and all those applications that you are running.

If Sony change their mind and insert a quad-core chip it would certainly be more feasible, I am hoping for the Tegra 3 but knowing them it would probably be the next quad-core Snapdragon.

RAM:

0.032*9=0.288 (0.288GB or 288MB) the current Xperia PLAY has 512MB of RAM.

I believe that next Xperia Play may have 1GB (or maybe even 2GB) so I think that the RAM would be sufficient for emulation. Currently on the standard Play it could work well providing you keep multitasking down to a minimum.

Conclusion:

I am no expert at emulation or emulators and many people on XDA (and other forums) would be 100 times better at understanding these sorts of things. But I still think I have given a good approximation which is a good place to start from.

I believe that the Xperia Play probably wouldn't be able to emulate the PSP-1000 that well but if there is next one it might. Having said that there are a lot of other factors aside from the specifications and only time and expertise will really tell if this would work or not.

That's got to be the longest and most detailed post I have ever done on any forum. Be sure to hit "Thanks" if I helped!

Reactions: torsrex and Abaddon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The general rule of thumb is that a device has to be at least 9 times faster/better than the original in order for emulation to be possible with a decent framerate. Although there are plenty of other complications, of course.

So I assume that by PSP emulation you mean the original PSP-1000 which had these specs as shown on the link below:

PSP-1000 Specifications

CPU: 1~333 MHz MIPS R4000 (MIPS appears to be similar, but not the same as ARM)

RAM: 32MB (or 0.032GB)

Okay so let's give it the 9 times treatment!

CPU:

0.333*9=2.997GHz

The Xperia Play has a dual-core 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon and I think the PSP-1000 has a single core processer rather than double, but I think it looks like that emulation would not work from a CPU point of view, especially when the phone would not only run the emulator, but also the ROM and the Android OS and all those applications that you are running.

If Sony change their mind and insert a quad-core chip it would certainly be more feasible, I am hoping for the Tegra 3 but knowing them it would probably be the next quad-core Snapdragon.

RAM:

0.032*9=0.288 (0.288GB or 288MB) the current Xperia PLAY has 512MB of RAM.

I believe that next Xperia Play may have 1GB (or maybe even 2GB) so I think that the RAM would be sufficient for emulation. Currently on the standard Play it could work well providing you keep multitasking down to a minimum.

Conclusion:

I am no expert at emulation or emulators and many people on XDA (and other forums) would be 100 times better at understanding these sorts of things. But I still think I have given a good approximation which is a good place to start from.

I believe that the Xperia Play probably wouldn't be able to emulate the PSP-1000 that well but if there is next one it might. Having said that there are a lot of other factors aside from the specifications and only time and expertise will really tell if this would work or not.

That's got to be the longest and most detailed post I have ever done on any forum. Be sure to hit "Thanks" if I helped!
    Hi guys,
    I just want another phone, I have got PS VITA but I cud not carry it everywhere daily, I was thinking abt buying xperia play, but read somewhere that xperia play 2 might b released soon..
    What u guys suggest?

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

I wouldn't worry about an Xperia Play 2 any time soon ;)

That was a Play Station potable old fake-fan art

Sent from my R800a using xda premium