Is it just me or...

Search This thread

tylerjames09

Mar 1, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
are these newer android phones giving more reasons to stay stock? I have found with the G2 that I have no want (or need) right now to root/ROM this phone. Usually when I get a new phone the first thing I do is root it, clear all that carrier crap out, or simply flash CM for that stock android experience; I just have not found that need with the G2.

So, what is the point of this thread?

I want to know everyone's thoughts about this. Are you rooted...are you stock....and why you are or are not?

If you are rooted, I would also like to know what ROM/Kernel/etc you are running.

Thanks!

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Stock unrooted. Since greenify is avaliable without root I kinda found no real reason to root. The only thing I really want is the dual window option from LG g flex. Maybe also to try out dorimanx kernel for undervolting and messing around a bit.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: tylerjames09

tylerjames09

Mar 1, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Stock unrooted. Since greenify is avaliable without root I kinda found no real reason to root. The only thing I really want is the dual window option from LG g flex. Maybe also to try out dorimanx kernel for undervolting and messing around a bit.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The main reason I usually root/rom is for speed and battery life....as we all know the G2 doesnt lack anything in either. I use the greenify beta as well and have noticed a huge difference in my battery life. The only thing tempting me to root is Titanium Backup but I have been fighting it because I'm so damn happy with the phone as it sits.

Reactions: jaythaovadose

Xenovias

Nov 4, 2013
Jakarta
Root + Flex rom + Custom kernel

Why?
I like stock rom (UI and feature) but flex rom is better (Black UI + more feature)

Hid3rs

Dec 27, 2013
I like the stock ROM with xposed, but now I'm on AOSP, because micro stuttering on stock started to bug me, even if it was barely noticeable.

Itchiee

Sep 30, 2007
Somewhere Else
thoughts....

Flashing is so played out for me. A new feature gets added and something else breaks and needs to be fixed...repeat.
.....At this point just root and do your own thing(s).

But I have not did anything to this phone, it works just fine.

StealthMode

Sep 2, 2010
I'm stuck but rooted with a few xposed modules, adblock and of course the camera mod. Now it's perfect! Never been this happy with a device. I played with AOSP kk and that was fun for awhile. I came from a gnex previously, which I loved despite the shortcomings.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
I have 3x VS980s. Two are happy with being 100% stock.
I rooted mine from day1, but stayed with stock-based ROM for a month as I was happy with stockLG (I can satisfy my flashing urges with
my N7) ... Then I decided to explore the latest/greatest of Android on this phone... I would never go back to stock and don't even care when/if LG
would release a stock 4.4.x (OK, maybe we need the new OEM kernel source).
ROM+gapps are normally ~200MB instead of a huge download.
I get to try so many features out .. I can switch to other ROM (or even my Stock) Backups in a few minutes, if my mood changes.
Not that I fully need those features ... just the feeling of doing things freely.
I'm currently staying with Mahdi ... lean, fast, so-many-features, no issues (I had some freezes/reboots on early releases, still no biggies then).
DirtyUnicorns is great too, but may need some little time to smooth out the little bugs

Last edited:

kewkie

Dec 27, 2012
Played around like 3 days with roms, i turned into a flashaholic, flex, non flex, tried so many roms and at the end of this, im on stock rooted now. i bought G2 Xposed (0,70 € - definitely worth!) and now it looks cool, its fast, stable, what else do i need? Darker UI? For what exactly? I actually using apps and not the starving at the settings and think "wow cool, its dark". no need, really. im pretty happy currently with full stock rooted. the next days i will customize my homescreen a bit and then its ready. just wait for 4.4 :D

D8nkE

Jan 18, 2009
Newmarket
Stock, rooted, debloated, xposed to get rid of GPS and dual wifi/lte notifications.

I'm coming from the HTC Rezound. I usually go for CM, but am very impressed with the LG interface. I have been tempted to try a flex Rom, but am happy having a phone that everything works, and has amazing battery life.

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
After flashing my Galaxy Nexus several times a week, and sometimes a few times in a day, for two years, I fully expected that I'd be doing the same with the G2. But I've been very pleasantly surprised at the speed, smoothness, features and battery life with stock. Stock has also been incredibly stable for me, No FC's, no lockups.

The stocks apps are much better than I expected -- the functionality has been excellent. I'm keeping an eye on the various sub-forums here for the G2, and may wind up flashing something new, but so far, I don't see anything more appealing than stock, and I'm not ready to give up the stock features. I may wind up with Flex, but I'm also guessing that there will be an update for the G2 sometime in the next 2 or 3 months, and my guess is that it may have some of the extra feature's we're seeing today in the Flex ROM. For now - I'm happy to remain stock, experiment with themes for the stock launcher and simply enjoy this fantastic phone. Still feels weird, as this is the first phone I've had where I'm really happy with stock.

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
^^Same exact situation for me,I'm loving the g2,just need to get rid of some of the bloat. But something deep inside really wants to start flashing away,but it's just too good as is, I stopped after root and recovery.

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
I rooted first to get rid of all the status bar icons. Overkill lol I don't need to know NFC or WiFi is on. And with xposed tweaks, its all I need. I have zero interested in an asop ROM. Using flex and love it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am rooted but on stock everything else.

I mainly rooted for Titanium Backup and other root enabled apps like AdBlock and Greenify. Beyond that, stock is sufficient for me.
    The thing I noticed. Lot of people who are happy with stock ROM are coming from older phones or phones with skinned ui. Lot of Nexus 5 owners are not comfortable with stock Lg ROM and flashing one of the AOSP ROMs on their G2. Just shows how greatly the perception of smoothness and performance varies depending on what you are coming from.
    Nexus 5 really does spoil you. A perfectly fast stock Lg ROM is simply not fast and smooth enough once you have used N5

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    are these newer android phones giving more reasons to stay stock? I have found with the G2 that I have no want (or need) right now to root/ROM this phone. Usually when I get a new phone the first thing I do is root it, clear all that carrier crap out, or simply flash CM for that stock android experience; I just have not found that need with the G2.

So, what is the point of this thread?

I want to know everyone's thoughts about this. Are you rooted...are you stock....and why you are or are not?

If you are rooted, I would also like to know what ROM/Kernel/etc you are running.

Thanks!
    I'm rooted and stock. Stock rocks. I'm also running g2 xposed. With this you have all the customizations on aosp but on stock Rom :)

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk