[SM-N900W8] List of Knox Friendly Flashing

Search This thread

DDRFAN

Oct 10, 2009
Toronto
So as it turns out, the Canadian variant SMN900W8 has receieved a kitkat version/mod that allows us to keep knox at 0x0 and give us a custom recovery, as well as root, through means that would normally trip Knox. I just wanted to compile a list of things that are working and doesn't trip Knox.

So far we know the following won't:

Edit 06/03/14
-Root (Through CF-ROOT)
- Custom Recovery
- Xnote 8.0
-XNote Kernel works without tripping Knox (selected in the AROMA installer) however I'm not sure if the changes are too mild to even trip knox.
- Kernels over all work; sounds and theme mods work as well. All that's left are AOSP roms.

Unconfirmed

- AOSP Roms

I'll update OP as users start reporting in.

Last edited:

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
So as it turns out, the Canadian variant SMN900W8 has receieved a kitkat version/mod that allows us to keep knox at 0x0 and give us a custom recovery, as well as root, through means that would normally trip Knox. I just wanted to compile a list of things that are working and doesn't trip Knox.

So far we know the following won't:

-Root (Through CF-ROOT)
- Custom Recovery
- Xnote 8.0

Unconfirmed

- Kernels
- Theme/Sound mods
- AOSP Roms

I'll update OP as users start reporting in.

Does anyone have video proof of a 4.3 to 4.4 upgrade and then CF-Rooting while retaining 0x0? I really don't want to mess this up.

Spazmogen

Aug 23, 2010
I must admit: I am happy with KitKat so far. Everything works fine. The only glitch was timezone related. I manually selected it and its been fine since. Knox was tripped earlier by myself using root de La Vega.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I am on 4.3 mj4 firmware. I would like to root to make a nandroid and titanium backup so I can retire my apps and data when going to kit Kat.
It's there a way to root mj4 and keep Knox asset 0x0?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Done kingo titanium backup.
Then upgrade as described. Now on 4.4.2. With no knox trip and rooted with twrp.
Restored with titanium which mostly worked well

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

soal001

Feb 25, 2013
Then upgrade as described. Now on 4.4.2. With no knox trip and rooted with twrp.

I understand that Kingo roots without tripping knox but How did you flash TWRP recovery without tripping knox?

donvito62

Jun 10, 2013

Could You Do Step By Step Guide Please.Like Did You Root First, Flashed Kitkat,Flashed TWRP Or Else?
What Files Did You Use For Root And Recovery?
Thanks In Advanced

Last edited:

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I understand that Kingo roots without tripping knox but How did you flash TWRP recovery without tripping knox?

Only flashed twrp after the upgrade to KitKat. That is why I used titanium backup so I would have backups of my apps

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Could You Do Step By Step Guide Please.Like Did You Root First, Flashed Kitkat,Flashed TWRP Or Else?
What Files Did You Use For Root And Recovery?
Thanks In Advanced

Using files listed in at least 2 other threads I first used kingo to root though this is not necessary but I wanted a data backup since the kitkat flash will wipe out the data. Then after root did my backup with titanium.
Then used Odin 3.09 to flash the files rebooted. Then used Odin to root with cf auto root. Rebooted then flashed twrp via ODIN.

RIZWANN

Feb 3, 2014
toronto
Only flashed twrp after the upgrade to KitKat. That is why I used titanium backup so I would have backups of my apps

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Using files listed in at least 2 other threads I first used kingo to root though this is not necessary but I wanted a data backup since the kitkat flash will wipe out the data. Then after root did my backup with titanium.
Then used Odin 3.09 to flash the files rebooted. Then used Odin to root with cf auto root. Rebooted then flashed twrp via ODIN.

while trying to upgrade to 4.4 i have hard bricked my note 3, can anybody plz upload debrick image for n900w8?

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
while trying to upgrade to 4.4 i have hard bricked my note 3, can anybody plz upload debrick image for n900w8?

I have no access to N900W8 but here are the links needed for people that have W8 and want to create their debricking image (first is the general idea and how to create the debrick image if you have custom recovery, second is for those that do not have custom recovery):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2625332&p=49782272

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2625332&p=50011586

RIZWANN

Feb 3, 2014
toronto
I have no access to N900W8 but here are the links needed for people that have W8 and want to create their debricking image (first is the general idea and how to create the debrick image if you have custom recovery, second is for those that do not have custom recovery):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2625332&p=49782272

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2625332&p=50011586

sorry I'm newbie so don't know much about this method to create debrick image, my w8 is hard bricked when i was trying to flash 4.4

dragoncius

Jun 3, 2011
México City

Top Liked Posts