[Q] Need help fixing improperly configured root

Search This thread

TambourineMan

Mar 22, 2006
Is there a simple way to fix a Root access is NOT correctly configured for SuperUser without having to reinstall and reconfigure all my apps?

I have an SPH-L710 with the following:

Android version 4.3
Baseband L710VPUCMK3
Kernal version 3.0.31-g1ac4b44a-dirty cnexus@node2--c6100.codefi.re #1 Sun N04 12:30:47 PST 2013
Build # JSS15J.L710VPUCMK3
Hardware version L710.14

I originally rooted using:

CMW_SuperUser_v3.07.zip
Odin3-v3.07
clockworkmod.TAR [ http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148060&d=1340384923]{MD5: 2F0E18D7C18039BB46927D797823F2AD

I then flashed Thunderstick's All In One: SPH-L710_AllInOne_MK3_rooted_deodexed_withExtendedReboot

I just flashed crawrj 's Hotspot Mod - Working 4G: MK3 Deodexed: http://d-h.st/LSc
MD5: 2b71e65bd2dea1d21600ace41dedbfb7

When that finished it warned I might have lost root and offered to fix permissions which I did.

I ran Root check Pro and got the following results:

Super User Application Status:
SuperSU application - version 2.01 - is installed!

System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: lrwxrwxrwx root root 2014-07-12 00:14 su -> /system/xbin/su
Analysis: File: su is a symbolic link pointing to another file: /system/xbin/su

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: -rwxr-xr-x root root 104564 2008-08-01 08:00 su
Analysis: Setuid attribute is NOT present BUT root user ownership is present. Root access is NOT correctly configured for this file!

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Results provided on your SPH-L710 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.3.6 from joeykrim in the Android Market

Is there a simple way to fix this without having to reinstall and reconfigure all my apps?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Flash the latest Philz Touch Recovery and choose the re-root option in its settings, or use your current recovery and flash the latest SuperSU.zip downloaded directly from Chainfire's website. Just Google for it.

You could try restoring a backup, update your SuperSU to the latest and make sure it's binary is updated too, after. Then try re-flashing the hotspot mod.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Last edited:

TambourineMan

Mar 22, 2006
I have partially followed your advice. I have root back. What I did was to just reflash my AllInOne zip without also flashing the hotspot mod. That did it. I then also to flashed the SuperSu update file, I wanted to wait a few days and see if I lost root or if all was still good.

I also lost access to my 64GB SD card bot from the phone and from a USB connection, although all the files are still there if I put it in a card reader. I can also access a different SD card if I insert it into my phone. I have a lot of data on the card and wanted to back it up before reformatting it and trying to see if the phone can then access it.

And I do not have tether capability either until I try flashing the hotspot mod again. This time I may try both selecting or not selecting the fix permissions offer when it says I may have lost root.

I will probably switch to PhilZ at some point, but I think I am going to stay on CWM 8.0.4.5 and 4.3 unless I can't get the hotspot to work without losing root. There doesn't seem to be that much in KitKat that I want/need and I don't like the ND8 irreversibility, nor the new restrictions on SD cards.

Thanks a million for your help. I may be back after further testing whether the hotspot mod is what's causing me to loose root and SD card access.

Flash the latest Philz Touch Recovery and choose the re-root option in its settings, or use your current recovery and flash the latest SuperSU.zip downloaded directly from Chainfire's website. Just Google for it.

You could try restoring a backup, update your SuperSU to the latest and make sure it's binary is updated too, after. Then try re-flashing the hotspot mod.

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
You're welcome! for the SD card, try flashing a different kernel. The stock kernel won't support as much. For example, I *think* that the stock kernel supports 64GB, but only in FAT32 format. I don't know if you might have yours in ExFAT format. ExFAT would have to be licensed from Microsoft for commercial purposes but it must be free for non - commercial, I guess.

If your SD card is in FAT32 format, disregard and I don't know why but a custom kernel is still worth a shot.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! v2a ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

I have partially followed your advice. I have root back. What I did was to just reflash my AllInOne zip without also flashing the hotspot mod. That did it. I then also to flashed the SuperSu update file, I wanted to wait a few days and see if I lost root or if all was still good.

I also lost access to my 64GB SD card bot from the phone and from a USB connection, although all the files are still there if I put it in a card reader. I can also access a different SD card if I insert it into my phone. I have a lot of data on the card and wanted to back it up before reformatting it and trying to see if the phone can then access it.

And I do not have tether capability either until I try flashing the hotspot mod again. This time I may try both selecting or not selecting the fix permissions offer when it says I may have lost root.

I will probably switch to PhilZ at some point, but I think I am going to stay on CWM 8.0.4.5 and 4.3 unless I can't get the hotspot to work without losing root. There doesn't seem to be that much in KitKat that I want/need and I don't like the ND8 irreversibility, nor the new restrictions on SD cards.

Thanks a million for your help. I may be back after further testing whether the hotspot mod is what's causing me to loose root and SD card access.

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg