Confirmed working call recording solution for the Moto X

Search This thread

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hi Guys,

I had been looking for a working call recording solution for the Moto X for a long time. None of the recording apps worked for me - they either only recorded via the mic so you couldn't hear the other party, or they didn't work at all.

Finally, I tried the recently-updated Call Recorder by @skvalex , link here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skvalex.callrecorder

ROOT IS REQUIRED

This app works perfectly to record calls. I'm not sure when the update was made to be compatible with the Moto X, but it definitely works now. Both sides of the conversation are recorded with excellent quality. The app costs $9.95 but it well worth the cost, IMO. It has a very CLEAN and polished UI and it just works!

I like that the app gives you a non-intrusive record button located in the top right corner. It doesn't cover any of the dial-er buttons or obstruct caller-id. It works for both incoming and outgoing calls as well.

I'm using the Republic Wireless Moto X -- the only "flaw" that I have found (and it probably ONLY applies to the RW Moto X and not the other variants) is that automatic call recording does not work when a call is placed or received over WiFi. Not an issue for me though, as I prefer to not automatically record all calls (I have it set to manual record only), and only record the conversations that I want by simply tapping the record button. This works perfectly on both WiFi and Cell.

In addition, the call recorder continues to work flawlessly even when the call is handed over from WiFi to Cell (seamless WiFi to Cell handover is part of Republic Wireless's unique hybrid calling features).

I don't care for the "persistent notification", so I have used Gravity Box to hide the notification. Everything still works flawlessly even with the persistent notification hidden.

I'm very impressed with skvalex's work here! Additionally, he even offers a 2 week trial version that you can download here on XDA! Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1441643 < This way you can be absolutely sure the app will meet your needs before buying it.

This can come in handy for NUMEROUS reasons. I won't get into all of that - if you have a need to record calls, you have your own reasons.

And lastly, the disclaimer: CALL RECORDING IS ILLEGAL IN SOME JURISDICTIONS!!! Make absolutely sure this is legal for you to use. In my state, only one party is required to know that they are being recorded. Since I am the other "party" and I know I'm recording my calls, this makes it perfectly legal for me to use.

DEFINITELY check your local laws before you use this. If you record someone in a jurisdiction where it is illegal, you may find yourself in a great deal of legal trouble.

@skvalex : I hope you don't mind the promotion I'm giving you here. I tried every call recorder known to man and none of them worked for me. I was absolutely thrilled to find that yours works flawlessly with my Moto X. Thanks!!!!

EDIT 8/20/14:

I figured out how to get call recorder to work with TowelPieRoot Temp-root!

All you have to do is go into settings and change the recording path to /sdcard/voix

For some reason (on temp roots with no write access) you cannot use the default path of /storage/emulated/0/voix - it appears that this only works with /system write access for some reason....

Anyways, those of you with locked bootloaders on 4.4.2 or earlier (even with write-protection enabled) can now use Call Recorder in conjunction with TowelPieRoot!!

ENJOY!

Last edited:

Jacquestrapp

Apr 27, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the info. I wish more options existed for recording phone calls on Android, whenever I mention it as something I'm looking for in a ROM people usually jump to the conclusion that it's for surreptiously recording conversations but it has plenty of legitimate uses, in journalism for example.

rsromano

Jul 3, 2012
Malvern, PA
Installed the trial from the link in the description in the play store. You get it free for 2 weeks. I did a test call to my answering machine at work, and it worked flawlessly. Not sure when I'll actually use it outside of maybe calling Comcast to cancel my service soon.

Reactions: James4.0

skulldreamz

Mar 13, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Also talking to people that are very special to you and maybe you don't speak to them but very rarely and they pass away. You have they're voice to comfort the memories. As i lost my brother and best friend to suicide lately and there is not a app on Google play that i would have wanted more on my phone. Anyway thanks for the app @skvalex and thanks @samwathegreat for the thorough heads up as you always do for our community friend..

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Installed the trial from the link in the description in the play store. You get it free for 2 weeks. I did a test call to my answering machine at work, and it worked flawlessly. Not sure when I'll actually use it outside of maybe calling Comcast to cancel my service soon.

It's one of those app's that you might not use everyday but when you need it, you really need it or could really use it...IMHO

duwest

Apr 3, 2014
Hi Guys,

I had been looking for a working call recording solution for the Moto X for a long time. None of the recording apps worked for me - they either only recorded via the mic so you couldn't hear the other party, or they didn't work at all.

Finally, I tried the recently-updated Call Recorder by @skvalex , link here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skvalex.callrecorder

This app works perfectly to record calls. I'm not sure when the update was made to be compatible with the Moto X, but it definitely works now. Both sides of the conversation are recorded with excellent quality. The app costs $9.95 but it well worth the cost, IMO. It has a very CLEAN and polished UI and it just works!.....

.....I'm very impressed with skvalex's work here! Additionally, he even offers a 2 week trial version that you can download here on XDA! Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1441643 < This way you can be absolutely sure the app will meet your needs before buying it.
@samwathegreat
I have a XT1080M Droid Maxx 2013.
I'm assuming since my phone is basically the same as your Moto X then Call Recorder should work on mine as well unless:
1) Yours is rooted and you're using one of the root methods (Mine's stock).
2) Differing Android version (Mine's 4.4.4).
I'll give the trial version a go if yours is running similar to mine. If not, I'll wait to see what the future brings as far as unlocking my bootloader first! ?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
@samwathegreat
I'm assuming since my phone is basically the same as your Moto X then Call Recorder should work on mine as well unless:
I'll give the trial version a go if yours is running similar to mine. If not, I'll wait to see what the future brings as far as unlocking my bootloader first! ?

@duwest :

Sorry, I forgot to mention that ROOT is required. I will add that to the OP. Other than that, it should work find on the Maxx. Hope you are able to unlock soon.

Reactions: duwest

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
OP Updated with instructions on how to get the Call Recorder app to work with temp-root (TowelPieRoot) on 4.4.2 with locked BL.

Palauv

Jun 25, 2014
Berhampore
@samwathegreat
I'll give the trial version a go if yours is running similar to mine. If not, I'll wait to see what the future brings as far as unlocking my bootloader first!

My phone is not rooted,BL locked... kitkat 4.4.4 .. I installed the trial version,chose the only option available which is "standard api" as recording method for unrooted moto x. audio source -microphone/DEFAULT. BUT ALL RECORDINGS ARE STRANGE! THE VOICES ARE DOUBLED!!! EXAMPLE- HELLO,HELLO..WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? like that.. :(
I tried all varities but failed... its not working for a unrooted moto x! NO CALL RECORDER WORKS FOR unrooted MOTO X . MINE CAME WITH 4.4.4 SO TECHNICALLY i CANNOT ROOT AS WELL AS RECORD CALLS!!!! :confused::(:(:confused:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

ROOT IS REQUIRED

This app works perfectly to record calls. I'm not sure when the update was made to be compatible with the Moto X, but it definitely works now. Both sides of the conversation are recorded with excellent quality. The app costs $9.95 but it well worth the cost, IMO. It has a very CLEAN and polished UI and it just works!

I like that the app gives you a non-intrusive record button located in the top right corner. It doesn't cover any of the dial-er buttons or obstruct caller-id. It works for both incoming and outgoing calls as well.

I'm using the Republic Wireless Moto X -- the only "flaw" that I have found (and it probably ONLY applies to the RW Moto X and not the other variants) is that automatic call recording does not work when a call is placed or received over WiFi. Not an issue for me though, as I prefer to not automatically record all calls (I have it set to manual record only), and only record the conversations that I want by simply tapping the record button. This works perfectly on both WiFi and Cell.

In addition, the call recorder continues to work flawlessly even when the call is handed over from WiFi to Cell (seamless WiFi to Cell handover is part of Republic Wireless's unique hybrid calling features).

I don't care for the "persistent notification", so I have used Gravity Box to hide the notification. Everything still works flawlessly even with the persistent notification hidden.

I'm very impressed with skvalex's work here! Additionally, he even offers a 2 week trial version that you can download here on XDA! Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1441643 < This way you can be absolutely sure the app will meet your needs before buying it.

This can come in handy for NUMEROUS reasons. I won't get into all of that - if you have a need to record calls, you have your own reasons.

And lastly, the disclaimer: CALL RECORDING IS ILLEGAL IN SOME JURISDICTIONS!!! Make absolutely sure this is legal for you to use. In my state, only one party is required to know that they are being recorded. Since I am the other "party" and I know I'm recording my calls, this makes it perfectly legal for me to use.

DEFINITELY check your local laws before you use this. If you record someone in a jurisdiction where it is illegal, you may find yourself in a great deal of legal trouble.

@skvalex : I hope you don't mind the promotion I'm giving you here. I tried every call recorder known to man and none of them worked for me. I was absolutely thrilled to find that yours works flawlessly with my Moto X. Thanks!!!!

EDIT 8/20/14:

I figured out how to get call recorder to work with TowelPieRoot Temp-root!

All you have to do is go into settings and change the recording path to /sdcard/voix

For some reason (on temp roots with no write access) you cannot use the default path of /storage/emulated/0/voix - it appears that this only works with /system write access for some reason....

Anyways, those of you with locked bootloaders on 4.4.2 or earlier (even with write-protection enabled) can now use Call Recorder in conjunction with TowelPieRoot!!

ENJOY!
    @samwathegreat

@duwest :

Sorry, I forgot to mention that ROOT is required. I will add that to the OP. Other than that, it should work find on the Maxx. Hope you are able to unlock soon.