[03/29/2008] PocketCM Keyboard 0.14 - "Free at last"

Search This thread

chymmylt

Sep 18, 2006
Let say we do it the "real way" (well the way of some crappy corporate environment ;) ). Start with a mockup, explain to me what you need/want.

From a technical point of view, it's more what could be needed, that what I need... then make lot of tradeoff, for instance:
- one single image for the keyboard: harder to customize and adapt to other layout -> harder to skin, less skin available. On the other side, it could allow more stuff to be down (like gradient on the whole keyboard, etc...).

etc...

Because there's nothing done yet, everything is in theory still possible.

Regarding the dimension, my only constraint are the screen size and usability. for now each row is 25 pixel height, but it could be changed or variable... it's more up to you, if you end up with a very nice design, that need 26 pixel, then it will be ...

You could do both (IMHO) You could state that the each character get's it's own .PNG - give each PNG a transparent background and then the theme creator could create a background image to place behind everything. Granted this could possibly increase the memory that the keyboard would use but IMHO this would give the greatest flexability. Just a thought :)

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
You could do both (IMHO) You could state that the each character get's it's own .PNG - give each PNG a transparent background and then the theme creator could create a background image to place behind everything. Granted this could possibly increase the memory that the keyboard would use but IMHO this would give the greatest flexability. Just a thought :)

The main issue would be perf, drawing transparent PNG is expensive... show me the layout mockup, then we'll try to make it work!

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
By prediction, i mean that once you type, lets say, 3 characters, all words in dict file that start with so said characters, are suggested. As the 4th character is keyed, suggestion is narrowed to words that start with those 4 characters. As you said above, the standard WM5 SIP keyboard, has got this feature

And if I activate suggestion in the input panel option, I get them for my SIP too...

EXAMPLE:
Lets say you type "foo", then predictive text should suggest food,fool, foolish,foolishly,foolproof,foot,footage, football....
but once you type "l", only fool, foolish,foolishly,foolproof are suggested.
So, if you want to type foolproof, you can select it from suggestion list, having typed only four characters, sparing you to type the remaining five.

The prob is with both together, what if the first letters are wrong?

Prediction does not take CPU power at all: keep in mind that the dictionary file is already sorted.

Sorted are you sure? :p (ps: the structure is some kind of trie).

And if I activate suggestion in the input panel option, I get them for my SIP too...)

In the input panel option i have activated "word completion" (4 words, starting as first 3 letters are typed). I´ve tried typing inside both built in Word and messaging (SMS)application: if i choose standard Keyboard SIP, i get "predicted·words once i type first 3 characters.
If I use PCM keyboard SIP, i don get get prediction.

could that difference of behavior in your device and mine be motivated by my device (artemis) running WM5, not 6? :confused:

if windows mobile prediction can be used with PCM Kb SIP, then my whole point and my posts in this thread can be ignored (well, we dont have control on MS dict file as we have over PCM Kb dict file, but thats secondary)

The prob is with both together, what if the first letters are wrong?).

hee, we then should teach our devices to read our minds to know what we intend to type!!! :D

Now seriously:then the number of sugeested words increases dramatically. It could be done easily as a concept, but it would take CPU power. Having a dictionary with word ranked statistically by frecuency of use could be a help (i have found spanish wordlist with statistic!)
For prediction, i´d say that program shoud only not take into account the chance of first letter wrong:if one of them is, lets BACKSPACE and correct!

So, suggested word box should show together "suggested correction"(your algorithm) and "suggested completion" (having them suggested sorted by probability could be a bonus)

Sorted are you sure? :p (ps: the structure is some kind of trie).

well, any wordlist can be easily sorted by using, as example, MS EXCEL.
and there are also times with lot of CPU cicles to spare.

many thanks for your attention and patience

tene

Jun 21, 2007
Brussels
could that difference of behavior in your device and mine be motivated by my device (artemis) running WM5, not 6? :confused:

Maybe I don't know. Google may know the answer?

Now seriously:then the number of sugeested words increases dramatically. It could be done easily as a concept, but it would take CPU power. Having a dictionary with word ranked statistically by frecuency of use could be a help (i have found spanish wordlist with statistic!)
For prediction, i´d say that program shoud only not take into account the chance of first letter wrong:if one of them is, lets BACKSPACE and correct!

even without the performance issue, it wouldn't probably work well. Also there's the distance between keyboard and suggestion, using my keyboard, it's often a lot faster to me to type the 3 missing letter of a word, instead of going to the suggestion list, read it, see if it's correct, tap on it. Let say I'd like you to try with next preview coming ... one day.

If you happen to find wordlist in english (and/or french) with statistic please share. I didn't find one suitable myself. Because anyway, statistic can help the current fixing algorithm.

well, any wordlist can be easily sorted by using, as example, MS EXCEL.
and there are also times with lot of CPU cicles to spare.

you're missing my argument: I load the list in a data structure, a list in memory would be way to slow, so it's another data structure, a kind of tree but more memory efficient, that means that's it's very fast to find if an element is inside or outside the word list, but getting next/previous word in alphabetic order isn't as fast as a simple list.

Also you have to consider: various alphabet, custom wordlist (not added in alphabetic order).

Even with a sorted list, finding the right element would heavily depends on the size of the list, with a naive dichotomic search, it would require log(n) string comparison... which is a lot worst that the current implementation.

If you happen to find wordlist in english (and/or french) with statistic please share. I didn't find one suitable myself. Because anyway, statistic can help the current fixing algorithm.

On looking for a Spanish wordlist, i found this file (10000 most used words in Spanish) by chance. I got my wordlist from it. Although not english or french, you can Copy paste the table to word, keeping only second column (word) and third (number of appearances of that word in the corpus used for getting the statistics). if you sort words by so said 3rd column, you get the words sorted by frequence of use.

May be you dont need it, as it is in Spanish, but you can use it for testing purposes if you dont get a similar french/english wordlist.

NOTE: attachment is a rar file, as i dont have winzip at hand and rar files are not allowed here as attachments. pls change name to *.rar

HAVE a NICE WEEKEND

Attachments

• a1.rar.zip
    283.2 KB · Views: 35

jcostanza4

Nov 3, 2005
The Burque
Ive worked up the first page layout skins

As far as starting to develope a skin; I have a good template going for the layout, I have started with the QWERTY keyboard layout 1. A couple different color schemes for those of us who like to coordinate. Before I move onto the other layouts I will see what you think and any suggestions.

Enjoy!
jcostanza4

Attachments

• BlackPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    BlackPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 101
  • BluePocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    BluePocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 49
  • GreenPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    GreenPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 30
  • RedPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    RedPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 49

cavyman

Jul 13, 2007
As far as starting to develope a skin; I have a good template going for the layout, I have started with the QWERTY keyboard layout 1. A couple different color schemes for those of us who like to coordinate. Before I move onto the other layouts I will see what you think and any suggestions.

Enjoy!
jcostanza4

I like them! I'm definitely a fan on the blue skin! :cool:

delude

May 6, 2007
Cambridge
Yeah, they are awesome! I'm into green at the minute and love the shade!

(PS. Has anybody found out how to turn the noise off every time you push a button?)

jcostanza4

Nov 3, 2005
The Burque
Ok so I realized in my first skin concept attempt that no one would like 2 M keys.

So I fixed that error before any comments could be posted and went ahead and posted the CAPS layouts too.

Feedback welcome - Enjoy!
jcostanza4

Attachments

• BlackPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    BlackPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 110
  • BlackPocketCMskinConceptQWERTYcaps.png
    BlackPocketCMskinConceptQWERTYcaps.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 75
  • BluePocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    BluePocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 45
  • GreenPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    GreenPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 31
  • RedPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    RedPocketCMskinConceptQWERTY.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

hma4

Jun 5, 2007
Hi tene,

I love this keyboard, and i think you are a really hard working developer. I love this keyboard but my only issue is it's algorithm for auto correct. I don't want the program keep changing what I'm saying that's why i had to uninstall the keyboard. Please consider adding an option so that we can turn off the auto correction.

Thanks,

MAK11

May 15, 2007
Well well I still can't get it to work (this one or any other SIP keyboard BTW)...If anybody could help....:(

stephano

Sep 14, 2006
Is it normal, that the key "balloons" appear just after a while.. like 1-2 seconds? I want them instantly.

Also, on the pictures, there are gradient fills in the keys, the one I downloaded don't.

paranoid2007

Mar 15, 2007
Hi! First thanks for your efforts with this great software.

However I got two problems with v. 0.2:

1. My german dict.txt is ignored. The program only guesses english words

2. The setting "\n" for switching keyboards makes the button look like"23#". I don't know how to make my own layout with this new version (with shift key, symbol key etc).

DocteurN

Jan 6, 2005
Hi! First thanks for your efforts with this great software.

However I got two problems with v. 0.2:

1. My german dict.txt is ignored. The program only guesses english words

2. The setting "\n" for switching keyboards makes the button look like"23#". I don't know how to make my own layout with this new version (with shift key, symbol key etc).
1. Your german dict.txt has to be dict.txt and not dict.ge.txt to be used. Is that the case ?

2. You have updated 0.1 version with 0.2
You're using old settings.ini
Rename setting.ge.ini in settings.ini and it will work (I've got the same problem until I rename my settings.fr.ini)

delude

May 6, 2007
Cambridge
How come when I installed the cab from www.pocketcm.com for o.2 it installed 'phone pad'?

EDIT: Okay..I managed to fix it by re installing, I haven't a clue what happened before. I do however get the same problem as stephano where it takes several seconds for the balloons to appear.

Last edited: