[DEV] Skype Video for Froyo (and GB)

Search This thread

metallized

Mar 25, 2008
dallas, tx
Everything is working alrite for me but the speaker doesnot work.... I mean i have to talk like im calling someone with my fone on my ear while making a video call.... Anu solution ?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

khanfuze

Feb 16, 2009
Guys, thanks for the feedback. Here is my another attempt to fix the zoom issue. Please take time to give feedback if it works or not so I would know. I made 2 builds because I have a doubt about how a variable affects the image scaling. If you can test them both, it would be great. I also added more adb debugging messages. If it doesn't work, please try to make an adb log.

theos0o also told me he found out that there is no 320x240 and yet SGS works. I haven't looked at it yet but I think he is working on it as a possible solution.

Anyway, these test builds (2 builds) are "all-in-one" builds where you can configure the tweaks you want to enable. I attached the image where you can see the configuration.

all-in-one.png

"Camera width" has the right zoom, but both have the wrong aspect ratio squeezing it shorter showing a black bar on the bottom. Charge Froyo.

Edit: only on my side. aspect is ok other side

Last edited:

ski21

Apr 25, 2009
I have an epic 4g. If I have a froyo rom on it, which version should I install. Thanks in advance for any help.

expl0de

Sep 30, 2010
Force closes on Desire when trying to minimize during video call, but works great beside this. Thanks.

jackjohn

Dec 18, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab t1000

guys,

Every time skype video call be initiate will get skype.com.rider error and cause the skype crash.

Kindly do refer the catlog

Really need assistance on this.Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• 2011-07-15-23-55-17skype.zip
    9 KB · Views: 13

droidrx

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
The changes in this build are:

• Software encoded 320x240 resolution. - values with “ENC320x240” in the resolution selection are converted to NV21 320x240 before Skype gets the data. It is basically the same as “Forced 320x240” without requiring hardware support.
  • “Single Resolution” checkbox. - when checked, Skype sees only one resolution. I’m not sure if this can make a difference on blank screen issue but I just added it. This is enabled only when a fixed resolution is selected.
  • Image rotation – for users with wrong camera orientation.
  • Image Scaling – how the camera image is scaled when ENC320x240 is used or when rotation is 90/270 degrees.
  • Image Flip – for users with flipped image.
  • Auto-detect NEON/VFP compatibility. On first run, the app tries to use the video library. When the app is killed while attempting to use the video library, the app knows it cannot use video call and the feature will be disabled.
  • For ease of editing the Tweaks dialog, I adapted the PreferenceActivity from theos0o. All the “Tweaks” settings from the old version will be discarded.
  • Broken down the audio fix like how theos0o did (“Force speaker off after call” and “Use MODE_IN_CALL”).
  • Added the “Keep Alive” too for voice calls.
  • Added support for Camera.open(“secondary”) used by some FROYO devices in opening FFC. If your FFC is not detected, you can go to “Tweaks” and tap on the “No FFC detected” to email me your FFC detection log. In addition, please send me also a copy of any app that can access the front camera (e.g. camera app supporting back and front) so I can check how the app uses the FFC.

Update 2011-08-02: Updated for FFCs in Dell Streak 5 and LG Revolution VS910.

For LG Optimus 3D users, I need the files from your /system/framework/ and the Camera app from /system/app/. You can email your download link at rxdroid@hotmail.com

Update 2011-08-11: Check the OP for the link on the newest build

Attachments

• com.skype.raider.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 8,745
Last edited:

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
Dear droidrx, with all due respect, may I ask why theos0o and you are still both developing more or less the exact same thing?
Or is there a clear difference between the two projects that I am overlooking?

jackjohn

Dec 18, 2009
Sorry guys for having no update for a week. I was too busy with work projects and I had no time for updating this.

1. Software encoded 320x240 resolution. - values with “ENC320x240” in the resolution selection are converted to NV21 320x240 before Skype gets the data. It is basically the same as “Forced 320x240” without requiring hardware support.
2. “Single Resolution” checkbox. - when checked, Skype sees only one resolution. I’m not sure if this can make a difference on blank screen issue but I just added it. This is enabled only when a fixed resolution is selected.
3. Image rotation – for users with wrong camera orientation.
4. Image Scaling – how the camera image is scaled when ENC320x240 is used or when rotation is 90/270 degrees.
5. Image Flip – for users with flipped image.
6. Auto-detect NEON/VFP compatibility. On first run, the app tries to use the video library. When the app is killed while attempting to use the video library, the app knows it cannot use video call and the feature will be disabled.
7. For ease of editing the Tweaks dialog, I adapted the PreferenceActivity from theos0o. All the “Tweaks” settings from the old version will be discarded.
8. Broken down the audio fix like how theos0o did (“Force speaker off after call” and “Use MODE_IN_CALL”).
9. Added the “Keep Alive” too for voice calls.
10. Added support for Camera.open(“secondary”) used by some FROYO devices in opening FFC. If your FFC is not detected, you can go to “Tweaks” and tap on the “No FFC detected” to email me your FFC detection log.

Again, all these video features I added are UNTESTED so I NEED FEEDBACKS and if you encounter FCs or errors using them, please take time to make a logcat.

Dear droidrx

Not managed to install the apk. " Application not installed".

droidrx

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
Dear droidrx, with all due respect, may I ask why theos0o and you are still both developing more or less the exact same thing?
Or is there a clear difference between the two projects that I am overlooking?

theos0o's version is designed for Gingerbread and I'm trying to fill the gap for Froyo. Although we share some codes, we cannot combine them as I don't have a GB device and he doesn't have froyo to test if the code works for 2.2. Also, my atrix cannot use video calling due to the processor limitation and so I have to keep pushing updates for users to test. That was one of the reasons why I posted the sources I was working so others can add more to it. It should be easier for other devs with Froyo and NEON enabled processors to add features as they can check right away but unfortunately, of now only theos0o and I are working on it.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

droidrx

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
Dear droidrx

Not managed to install the apk. " Application not installed".

If you have a previously installed skype, try to use titanium backup to clean it (as others are suggesting). Or try to unzip it on a PC first and then copy the apk to your device.

If still doesnt work and you have adb, you can use "adb install <name of apk>" to install it. it should tell what the problem is.

jackjohn

Dec 18, 2009
If you have a previously installed skype, try to use titanium backup to clean it (as others are suggesting). Or try to unzip it on a PC first and then copy the apk to your device.

If still doesnt work and you have adb, you can use "adb install <name of apk>" to install it. it should tell what the problem is.

Dear Droidrx,

Noted will try it out. Anyway from my previous testing i cant initiate a video call will always get skype.com.rider error and crash the skype. Iam using galaxy tab p1000.

Really need your assistance. Attach is the cat log.

Attachments

• 2011-07-15-23-55-17skype.zip
    9 KB · Views: 365

GwynBleidd

Dec 3, 2008
Midgaard

Again, all these video features I added are UNTESTED so I NEED FEEDBACKS and if you encounter FCs or errors using them, please take time to make a logcat.

Here's some feedback (SGS Froyo):

- Unfortunately, can't give you a logcat at this time, I simply don't see it (kernel related or something, not sure)

- New version force closes every time when it tries to display opponent's video - I can make a video call only if the opponent answers with voice only. All combinations (switch cameras, turn camera on/off, etc) work fine from my side as long as opponent's video is OFF. Once the app tries to display opponent's video, it immediately FCs.

- Rotation doesn't work (at all), either with front or with rear cameras. Simply doesn't have any effect on the image (both on my screen and on receiver's screen).

- Flip image works as it should

- Resolutions switch seems to work nice but all options with ENC show a bunch of moving green lines instead of the clear image.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: droidrx

droidrx

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
@GwynBleidd: Can you try the updated APK in post #251 above if you can at least receive video. I also saw a bug when the resolution is not set to a predefined value.

I will work on the green and rotate issue after work and I still need logs so if you can make one it can help me a lot.

GwynBleidd

Dec 3, 2008
Midgaard
@GwynBleidd: Can you try the updated APK in post #251 above if you can at least receive video. I also saw a bug when the resolution is not set to a predefined value.

Nope, still FC, exactly the same behaviour.

Can't really give you logcats because debug logging is turned off at kernel level :-( And switching kernels just for logcat seems like too much, maybe I will later, not sure.

droidrx

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
That's ok, i'll try to look at my codes again tonight if I can't get a logcat.

For others experiencing the same problem, please send me your locats. It would be much easier to find out where the error is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm creating this thread to have a central spot for my updates on the Skype Video mod I'm doing. My objective is making skype video to support all devices from FROYO to the latest android version and to support more devices as possible.

The latest build can be found HERE

Another XDA member theos0o also did a Skype video mod that works for more GB devices. If my files don't work, try his updated files in this thread HERE

For those who want to make their own icons, you can follow this instruction from angusc HERE

NOTE: VIDEO CALLING WORKS FOR NEON SUPPORTED DEVICES ONLY (mostly ARM Cortex A8). Lower end devices and Tegra 2 devices are not yet supported)
    Guys, here's my build version 1 :D (just for release naming for easier reference)

New in this build:
    • Confirmed working on FFCs of 5 (now :D) LG Optimus 3D users ( Not just detected as I previously mentioned :D )
    • Added support for devices that needs preview surface (like LG O3D). Make sure you check the "Use Preview Surface" option on the Tweaks screen and use it only if you have the blank screen issue. Confirmed workiing on Motorola Defy too. Archos users, try this one too.
    • Easier LogCat data sending. No need for ADB or 3rd party app ("Email LogCat to DroidRx" on the Tweaks screen)
    • Bug fixes on my FFC code to fix problems that could freeze the video or even the device.
    • Added Auto-rorate (based on the device orientation) - not finished yet but is working on my Nexus S' FFC now (FFC only) so others may find use of it too while I'm working on it.
    Update 2011-08-15: Moved some part of image processing code to JNI for faster execution. Those who are using the image rotation option or the auto rotate feature, try to update to this one.

Users who need to use the ENC***** settings (e.g. Archos): I was able to reproduce the problem but I haven't found where to fix it yet. I'll try to look more into it and will give you an update as soon as I have one.

Update 2011-08-17: Added FFC support for LG Optimus Black (P970) - Like LGO3D, "Use Preview Surface" should be checked. Non-owners of LGOB who downloaded com.skype.raider2-1.1.zip DON'T NEED to update to com.skype.raider2-1.2.zip as the change is only to support LGOB

Features:
    • Software encoded 320x240 resolution. - values with “ENC320x240” in the resolution selection are converted to NV21 320x240 before Skype gets the data. It is basically the same as “Forced 320x240” without requiring hardware support.
    • “Single Resolution” checkbox. - when checked, Skype sees only one resolution. I’m not sure if this can make a difference on blank screen issue but I just added it. This is enabled only when a fixed resolution is selected.
    • Image Scaling – how the camera image is scaled when ENC320x240 is used or when rotation is 90/270 degrees.
    • For ease of editing the Tweaks dialog, I adapted the PreferenceActivity from theos0o. All the “Tweaks” settings from the old version will be discarded.
    • Broken down the audio fix like how theos0o did (“Force speaker off after call” and “Use MODE_IN_CALL”).
    • Added support for Camera.open(“secondary”) used by some FROYO devices in opening FFC. If your FFC is not detected, you can go to “Tweaks” and tap on the “No FFC detected” to email me your FFC detection log. In addition, please send me also a copy of any app that can access the front camera (e.g. camera app supporting back and front) so I can check how the app uses the FFC.
    • Bluetooth support - press the speaker button and a device selection dialog will popup if there is a bluetooth paired. The button image reflects what device is currently in use. The video call screen is updated to have the speaker button.
    • Flip incoming video
    • Removed autodetect of NEON and let the user enable video call feature through Skype's Settings

If this one doesn't work for you or if you feel the older version is better for your need, you can go HERE

• Auto-detect NEON/VFP compatibility. On first run, the app tries to use the video library. When the app is killed while attempting to use the video library, the app knows it cannot use video call and the feature will be disabled.

Update 2011-08-02: Updated for FFCs in Dell Streak 5 and LG Revolution VS910.

For LG Optimus 3D users, I need the files from your /system/framework/ and the Camera app from /system/app/. You can email your download link at rxdroid@hotmail.com

Update 2011-08-11: Check the OP for the link on the newest build
    The newer build can be found HERE

Here's the build based on the 4.1.0.46 version of Skype.

• Bluetooth support - press the speaker button and a device selection dialog will popup if there is a bluetooth paired. The button image reflects what device is currently in use. The video call screen is updated to have the speaker button.
    • Flip incoming video
    • Removed autodetect of NEON and let the user enable video call feature through Skype's Settings
    Update 2011-08-09: Fixed the "Back Camera only" that prevents the proper functioning of the FFC. It should now return only 1 cam when my code cannot support the FFC
    Update 2011-08-10: Fixed the FCs on some devices. Confirmed to be working on Dell Streak
    Update 2011-08-11: An LG Optimus 3D (P920) user told me that my build HERE (com.skype.raider2-lgo3d.apk) detects his FFC. Let me know if it works on you (LG O3D users) so I can add it in the next build.

Update 2011-08-11: I made a test build that can do landscape/portrait orientation. It's not complete yet and I need testers so I would know how the camera behaves on other devices. If you have time and want to play with the test build, you can go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1153285&page=45

If in case my this build doesn't work on your FFC that was previously supported by the older version, you can go back to that version HERE and inform me so I can fix it.

Features:
    For those with zooming problem. Can you please test this APK and let me know if it fixed the problem. Check the output on your device and on the other end.

I've also put some adb log messages that will output sizes and bounds of the screen and camera while processing the image. If you can provide me an adb log, it will definitely help me understand the video call process.