[Q] Network Signal In and Out with Reboots

Search This thread

nebrando

Jul 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I searched and did not see anyone else experiencing this issue. I have a Black 32 GB stock rooted. It worked fantastic for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden I noticed the following:

Day 1: No SMS received. I was on WIFI and had network signal in the notification bar but did not receive SMS that were sent to me.
Day 2: No Cellular Signal. I looked at the APN and it had disappeared. I attempted to add it again and reboot the phone and it wouldn't add. The phone began rebooting on its own and continuing with a bootloop after running for about 10 seconds it would reboot again. It did this throughout the day. I called Google and they had me do some soft and hard resets. After the soft reset the phone would connect right after startup then disconnect after 2 seconds and reboot itself. I hard reset the phone and relocked the bootloader and reinstalled factory recovery and it is still doing it.

Google has given me authorization for an exchange but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas because I'd rather not be without a phone for 2 weeks.

BTW I am on Straight Talk

flmz

Sep 30, 2010
I had a similar issue

I had a similar issue. After a month of functioning normally, my Nexus(rooted using CFroot, stock ROM, T-Mobile) lost the ability to get reception. First, it showed network signal, but cell access was not functional. A few hours later, bars dropped to zero, and it seemed like I could only get reception in the strongest signal areas. I would get signal sporadically when driving, but never when I was stationary. The phone never had problems with rebooting though.

After spending a day trying to fix it, factory reset, relock, flashing a factory image, I called Google, and they warranteed the phone.

I searched and did not see anyone else experiencing this issue. I have a Black 32 GB stock rooted. It worked fantastic for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden I noticed the following:

Day 1: No SMS received. I was on WIFI and had network signal in the notification bar but did not receive SMS that were sent to me.
Day 2: No Cellular Signal. I looked at the APN and it had disappeared. I attempted to add it again and reboot the phone and it wouldn't add. The phone began rebooting on its own and continuing with a bootloop after running for about 10 seconds it would reboot again. It did this throughout the day. I called Google and they had me do some soft and hard resets. After the soft reset the phone would connect right after startup then disconnect after 2 seconds and reboot itself. I hard reset the phone and relocked the bootloader and reinstalled factory recovery and it is still doing it.

Google has given me authorization for an exchange but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas because I'd rather not be without a phone for 2 weeks.

BTW I am on Straight Talk

nebrando

Jul 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I had a similar issue. After a month of functioning normally, my Nexus(rooted using CFroot, stock ROM, T-Mobile) lost the ability to get reception. First, it showed network signal, but cell access was not functional. A few hours later, bars dropped to zero, and it seemed like I could only get reception in the strongest signal areas. I would get signal sporadically when driving, but never when I was stationary. The phone never had problems with rebooting though.

After spending a day trying to fix it, factory reset, relock, flashing a factory image, I called Google, and they warranteed the phone.

It just seems so much like a software issue as opposed to hardware that it surprises me they are willing to warranty it... but I guess I'm not the expert.

How long did it take you to get your replacement phone?

flmz

Sep 30, 2010
It just seems so much like a software issue as opposed to hardware that it surprises me they are willing to warranty it... but I guess I'm not the expert.

How long did it take you to get your replacement phone?

I got a replacement phone pretty quickly. The phone shipped the day after I ordered the replacement, but YMMV.

Why do you think it was a software issue? The problem persisted after I switch back to a factory image. The replacement phone, running the same software does not have the same issue.

nebrando

Jul 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I got a replacement phone pretty quickly. The phone shipped the day after I ordered the replacement, but YMMV.

Why do you think it was a software issue? The problem persisted after I switch back to a factory image. The replacement phone, running the same software does not have the same issue.

That makes sense that it was a hardware issue. I guess it could be a faulty radio or something. I'm glad to hear you got your device shipped so soon. Did you end up having to pay shipping?

khymbote

Jul 26, 2012
New Smyrna Beach
I ran a nexus 5 for about 4 days and went through two of them both having issues holding a signal. Both phones would start with LTE and then drop to 2g go to 3g and then 4g back to no bars and then 2g and 3g. I was stock all the way and I wish the nexus 5 worked better. It could be a software issue as when I took the OTA to 4.4.2 it became worse. All the areas I was in while this happened were areas that were supposed to be strong for 4g and LTE.

That said I I need a phone that is a bit more reliable even though I'm on T-Mobile. I switched to the LG G2. It has a better antennae and doesn't keep bouncing between modes when in various areas.